PDA

View Full Version : Other Archer Medical Equipment

funhistory
12-24-2007, 04:04 AM
I've searched the Forum for references to other medical items that Ed Archer once sold, but I haven't found the subject discussed; so, I'll turn to those of you have been offering a medical impression for a while.

Last spring at the sale of a re-enactor who was getting out of the hobby, in addition to Archer kits, I was also able to acquire the following: a pair of wooden splints, a copper ether funner, assorted roller bandages, a fleam, a large bullet extractor (much bigger than the one in his capital amputation kit), and several field tourniquets. Each item has either an "Archer & Sons" paper label or embossed name. Other than the tourniquets, I can't find references to the fact that Archer once offered other items.

Can any of you provide additional information and insights? Does Ed still offer these through some site other than CW Med Books?

Happy holidays!

cwmed
12-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Dear Sir,

I personally know Ed and he did in fact offer other products in years past. I know as well as the items you listed he made a "medical haversack" which was a white haversack similar to the 3 button mexican war version but this one is quite larger. He also offered a wire anesthesia deplomer that lifted in half so that you can insert a cloth to soak up the anesthetic. The large extractor was included in some of his previous sets just not in the most recent one. He also currently offers a pair of crimpers if you can get in touch with him. He makes good stuff so I dont think that you can go wrong.

Luke A. Castleberry

TimKindred
01-21-2008, 01:27 AM
At one time Ed produced some sopies of the Day patent splints. It was a short run but some are still around. This is one item that would be of great value to have reproduced.

Some original examples are attached for your edification.