PDA

View Full Version : Powder Horns!

Hunsfoot
12-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Visit my new shop at http://www.raschefflerhorns.com for authentic, hand-made scrimshawed powder horns. Just in time for Christmas!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2133/2106526370_d9eba468a4.jpg

tenfed1861
12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Sir,you do understand this is a Civil War site.While powder horns may work for some early war CS/militia impressions,in general,it is a waste of money for CW use.No offense,btw.They do look good,but just not proper for the period we portray.

Hunsfoot
12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Yes, yes, I am aware. I'm just trying to spread the word as occasionally a historian is interested in more than one war. Sorry if it seems inappropriate. This is just such a great forum.

Great Charlie Chaplin quote by the way. He's one of my heroes.

tenfed1861
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I perfectly understand.I do know a lot of CW guys also do Rev War/Longhunter stuff.Sorry if I sounded like a jerk.They really are good looking horn,btw.

cwrematchr
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Beautiful horns Mr. Scheffler!

goatgirl
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Your horns are awesome. It has given me an idea also…anything made of leather, wood, or similar substance is always in danger of getting wood burned around here…like the hearts I just branded into my new leather work boots. Anyway, have you heard of Reenactor classifies? www.hockomock.com/reenactorclassifieds/classifieds/ There they have things from all eras including Rev. war, frontier and cowboy.

Stonewall_Greyfox
12-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Awesome...and I would argue no less important to fill out one's kit, than the early-war militia uniforms many of this forum put together for Mannassas last year.

I found the post about these being "a waste of money" innapropriate.

Paul B.

codymobley
12-13-2007, 03:30 AM
Do you make the 'pressed' horns? By 'pressed' I mean the powderhorns that have been formed as to have a rectangle plug and the horn itself been shaped to be rectangular in body while still maintaining the natural horn profile.

Many of the ones I have handled have been from the 1820 period. I am looking for one of this style, as out here in Far West Texas the civilians still used flintlocks to hunt in the 1870's due to the lack of percussion caps.

Hunsfoot
12-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Thank you for all of the support! much appreciated from this DIY, family owned business and happy holidays.

Hunsfoot
12-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I'll look into the pressed powder horns and if I make one I'll post it here.

Thanks again.

Rob Weaver
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
You actually se powder horns in use way later than most people believe. I used to have a mid-19th c. horn. If you're firing a muzzleloader, you have to carry your powder somewhere, and civilians didn't roll cartridges. They also tended to carry their caps in their pockets or hunting bags rather than in cap pouches. (Now the Boers in SA liked to wear their cap pouches on a bandoleer, so you could load without dismounting, but that's another continent...)

reb64
12-15-2007, 07:48 AM
I perfectly understand.I do know a lot of CW guys also do Rev War/Longhunter stuff.Sorry if I sounded like a jerk.They really are good looking horn,btw.

maybe you're the one who doesn't understand. if it was used only once during the war, then it is a period item, period. perhaps used a lot more than you think out west as well.

easttnfed
12-15-2007, 03:26 PM
This is something that we need to introduce into our hobby. I've thought about selling a couple of 19th century hunting pouches for the civilian side of the hobby. Love the horns. Keep up the good work. I've also considered doing some horns myself. You might also want to go and put up some pics on FrontierFolk.net and HistoricalTrekking.com. I mentioned your business on those sites and posted your link.

I did not see it, but does your site have a list of prices for the horns?