PDA

View Full Version : AC Board

Brent Wood
12-11-2007, 08:07 AM
First let me say that I am a female solider, on occasion. On the AC Paul Calloway told me that I could not ask questions about the military, because I am a woman. He told me that female reenactors are not welcome, and are not allowed to post, asking any military or weapons questions. He erased all of my posts. At his request, I changed my user name, from Brent Wood, to a more "feminine" name. I posted a question about a gun, which he deleted. This is the response to the question that I asked " Why are you deleting all my posts about the military and weapons.?"

Jennifer -
We spend hours and hours every week moderating very difficult to moderate issues. Personality conflicts, vendor conflicts, event organizer conflicts - this could easily be a full time job for at least a couple of us, if it only paid. Unfortunately it doesn't pay.

When you're spending hours and hours on very complex issues, occassionally a pretty cut-and-dry issue comes along and you say to yourself, "thank God, this one is easy."

The case with you is "easy". When women in the ranks were found out in the war, they were almost always, summarily drummed out of camp. The 105th Ohio Volunteer Infantry had that happen just prior to Perryville in 1862 - they removed her.

So the case is/will be in authentic reenacting - if we know you're a woman doing a military impression, we'll drum you out of camp. It doesn't matter how manly you look - if we know you're a woman, you're out. The way of dealing with this on the AC has always been to ban galtroops from our site - virtually drumming you out of camp.

Thats why your posts have been removed.
Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

"Take de little chicken in de middle ob de ring, but don't bet your money on de Shanghai." -- The Honorable Stephen 'Stinkin' Foster

Another question I must ask.. What if I was a female, simply inquiring about History? He erased those posts also. This Behavior is why this hobby, especially "authentic" reenacting is dying.

-Jennifer Cunningham

SmellyFed
12-11-2007, 08:49 AM
You made the right decision posting here.

Paul Calloway

Pvt Peck
12-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Jennifer:

While Mr. Calloway's method may seem heavy handed to you, it is his board and he can moderate it as he wishes. At least he gave you a very up front & honest answer as to the handling of your account & posts. I would heartily disagree with you on the death of authentic re-enacting & the hobby in general. This country is entangled in foriegn wars at this moment, the economy is in a state of flux, and for a lot of people there is a lot of uncertainty about the future right now. I think that has a lot more to do with smaller numbers in this type of hobby, not the policies of the AC.

Also, at least from my outlook, smaller numbers of better living historians is a GOOD thing. I am not here to defend the AC, as Mr. Calloway can stand up for himself, but I have a lot of respect for that forum, and have learned a great deal over there (one lesson is "play by their rules when in their house").

Realize that if you publicly cast aspersions you must be ready to have them cast back. Unless you are portraying a SPECIFIC known female soldier, in a SPECIFIC time and place secenario, you are very much open to being questioned on your level of, & commitment to, authenticly reenacting history. Could mis-representing history not be seen as contributing to the "death" of authentic re-enacting?

Wishing you luck in your future living history endeavours.

Edward Parrott

Robert A Mosher
12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
I remember the thread you posted on the AC Forum.

My first reaction to seeing your posting here was to report it as one of those "us versus them" threads that produce lots of smoke but shed no light or offer any other value. But then I read your posting and recognized that "if she can't raise this here, then where?"

Robert A. Mosher

Hopkins: "Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. **** yeah! I'm for debating anything. Rhode Island says yea!"
From "1776"

Poor Private
12-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Welcome "Brent"
This forum is/can be more person friendly. I have found that on the AC answers can be short in temperment and appearance. Sometimes it depends on who is answering your question. But what is funny is that when the same person posts here, he has the same attitude so it may not be the forum per se but the poster. (seems to me that if you were a guest in some one elses house you would bring out your visiting manners)
So in effect don't take it personally.

SmellyFed
12-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Robert -
This was actually posted in our Help Desk area. Pretty slick feature. Provost you should look into doing one here.

FloridaConfederate
12-11-2007, 09:09 AM
New IP address = $25

New AC account = $ free

Quality kit = $1500 or so

Registration for a EBUFU Tier 1 event = $25

Travel to event = $ eh.... depends

Pulling it off... then posting pics = Priceless

Pvt Schnapps
12-11-2007, 09:31 AM
New IP address = $25

New AC account = $ free

Quality kit = $1500 or so

Registration for a EBUFU Tier 1 event = $25

Travel to event = $ eh.... depends

Pulling it off... then posting pics = Priceless

Good advice, but Brent's problem will be that she can only pull it off once. After that, using the AC's logic, she'd be booted out no matter how good her impression is.

This is a decision that has less to do with history than a particular philosophy of reenacting.

It's a shame. As I've said before, many female reenactors stand out not because they would stand out from the real soldiers of the war, but because their boyish looks contrast so much with the average male reenactor -- even the average, self-proclaimed "authentic" reenactor.

Not every woman who passed as a man was especially masculine or entirely unsuspected. An excellent case is that of "Walter Herold", discussed in the book Tarnished Eagles.

But, as stated elsewhere, the AC Forum is a private organ staffed by volunteers who have every right to their own attitude and philosophy.

Brent can still go there to research, I assume, but if she just wants to learn then she'll probably find her time better spent in pure research. And if she just wants to chat with other reenactors, then Paul's right.

Welcome to Szabo's, Jennifer. Try "Common Ground" too -- many of the people who post useful information on the AC Forum post there as well, and the moderators are generally sensitive to people's feelings.

MBond057
12-11-2007, 09:36 AM
My thoughts on this thread are the following:

There was a lot of dysentery during the Civil War any many men died from this disease in camp. I don’t see any reenactors taking an overdose of ex-lax to portray a sick solider in camp crapping themselves until they are completely dehydrated at any event. Why has no one or group done this impression since there is plenty of documentation that dysentery caused many Civil War causalities?

When I witness either group of reenactors (mainstream or campaigner) portray a solider with dysentery, I will then follow your philosophy and approach to reenacting. I will follow the group who does this into **** or the nearest outhouse. 

Lighten up my friends………..It’s Christmas!

SmellyFed
12-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I happily encourage Jennifer to reenact however she sees fit. Likewise, I own a private forum and I get to run that how I see fit.

Jennifer is more then welcome to create her own forum and post whatever it is she feels passionate about - or find other forums who will allow her particular point of view.

No hard feelings here from me toward her whatsoever.

reb64
12-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Jennifer:

economy is in a state of flux, and for a lot of people there is a lot of uncertainty about the future right now. Edward Parrott

this is one for mythbusters. the economy is booming has been for almost 8 years now. but i do think is poor for for authentics. I for one would love a female in the ranks, certianly around camp late night when the libations and frolicking start.

Pvt Peck
12-11-2007, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=reb64]this is one for mythbusters. the economy is booming has been for almost 8 years now. but i do think is poor for for authentics.

Yep, out here where Mythbusters is filmed the economy is booming for the rich, it always does. But a lot of the working stiffs I know would tell you that they are not better off now than they were 8 years ago! And a lot of folks I know in living history, vintage motorcycles, cars etc, etc, have all curtailed their hobbies due to the very reasons I listed. Glad to hear the economy is booming for you, good to hear someone is thriving.

Edward Parrott
"HUMBUG"

tompritchett
12-11-2007, 11:26 AM
As a moderator here, I can understand Paul's reasons even if I personally do not agree with them. However, and most importantly, it is Paul's board to do with how he sees fit. He has his rules and we have our rules here. Neither board is "right"; the boards are just different because they serve different niches within the hobby (with obvious overlap).

tater
12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
as to portraying soldiers with dynastry........ I dont think that that would be a healthy portrayal to convey.... Questions like: Mommy, why is that man hunched against that tree with his pants down? Just dosn't seem to bring back as many spectators as the port-o-sinks...... It 'twould be rather interesting to see the after effects though....... :D

reb64
12-11-2007, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=reb64]this is one for mythbusters. the economy is booming has been for almost 8 years now. but i do think is poor for for authentics.

Yep, out here where Mythbusters is filmed the economy is booming for the rich, it always does. But a lot of the working stiffs I know would tell you that they are not better off now than they were 8 years ago! And a lot of folks I know in living history, vintage motorcycles, cars etc, etc, have all curtailed their hobbies due to the very reasons I listed. Glad to hear the economy is booming for you, good to hear someone is thriving.

Edward Parrott
"HUMBUG"

Hey I know about choosing between bills and hobbies , and I have been on unemployment, and families come first always. But if your not benefiting from this economy then your in a area of ove inflated house and others costs. Man there are great jobs if your willing to travel. perfect for a reenactor, go o the events at company expense. if you have a security clearance i know of many jobs to check out. if not you can get one free with a little military service. I'm just saying if one of my kids who is a drop out, not proud to say that but hes working and paying rent and bills and still works on cars with a girlfriend and her kid to support-if he can do it then i know anyone can out there now. one reason why the rich are richer-and this is antedoctal- every summer or winter i see work needing to be done with kids sitting around. shoveling snow-cutting grass -chimney sweeps-farm hay bailing etc, and you know who does it- grown men supplementing their incomes. I think thats a big part of it- not all and not directed at you of course-but a lot of it is the unwilligness to work for less than what people think they are worth to themselves. sometimes you got to shovel sh)t for a dollar to find out whats going on the farm.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
12-11-2007, 11:49 AM
How d' ye!

I know of at least one... named Chris N.
He suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and was always making a mad hopeful dash for the sinks from parade, formation, or just about any other time of day or night...
;-)

Curt

MBond057
12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Tyler,

The under lying question of this debate is about “Us against Them”. Are smaller events with only a few spectators with a strict authentic code the best events, or does participating with hundreds of reenactors burning powder and sneaking modern comforts into their canvas hotels the best method of enjoying this hobby?

I would argue that both philosophies of reenacting have merit, and the hobby has room for both approaches; however, the hobby is suffering from all the arguing and egos between the two camps.

The bottom line to being a living historian is to be a life long learner. Are you better reenactor today then you were when you started? Are you always researching and looking to improve your kit, when you have the opportunity? Do you share your knowledge and experience with others? Are you truly enjoying the hobby and growing?

Self reflection is a valuable tool and I know I need to stop and smell the roses and thank other reenactors who have inspired, taught, and encourage me on my history journey more often then I do.

To everyone who stays positive and lends a helping hand………this Bud’s for you, even if it came from my canvas covered cooler under my reclining cot next to my Coleman stove.

If you can’t laugh, reload and then aim for the spot between the two wax tunnels.

huntdaw
12-11-2007, 01:19 PM
"When I witness either group of reenactors (mainstream or campaigner) portray a solider with dysentery, I will then follow your philosophy and approach to reenacting. I will follow the group who does this into **** or the nearest outhouse."

It always takes someone to take the first step - or trot. If it is that much of a concern then why not be the first to get us off and running (punny, huh?)?

Man, I get tired of this us vs. them crap (get it, huh? huh?) It's always the same old arguments. No new ground being covered in the never ending head-butting.

On another note - yes the economy is doing well but real spending power is not as prices rise, the value of the dollar drops and income stays stagnant. Well, that's what can happen when your money is based solely on the public's confidence in the government at any given time and the belief that it is actually worth something when there is nothing backing it.

tompritchett
12-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Man, I get tired of this us vs. them crap (get it, huh? huh?) It's always the same old arguments. No new ground being covered in the never ending head-butting.

Amen. I suggest that we drop it before this thread takes a tail-spin warranting SGT Pepper or the Provost closing it. Also, I do not think that we can cover anything new regarding the differences between this forum and the AC so, I again urge that we drop it.

yes the economy is doing well but real spending power is not as prices rise

Energy costs are going up at a much higher rate than most salaries and, unfortunately will continue to do so in the near future. As far as the dollar, one only needs to look at the foreign debt that our nation has incurred through a combination of trade and government deficits.

Pvt. Richardson
12-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Gents,

I agree with Pvt. Peck about the AC. The AC is not the reason the hobby has taken a turn for the worst. I think you will find the answer if you look at the umbrella units,the politics of the General Staff. This hobby has a place for all reenactors from motel militia to those of us that sleep in dirt. What makes the hobby so great is the diversity of the people that do it.

Greg Richardson
Sgt. Major
Jeff Davis Guard

Silas
12-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Silly me for thinking this thread was about what type of things are properly posted on A/C. It quickly denegraded into the tired us v. them with the age old uppercut about dysentery. Then it's followed by the economy. The economy? Next it will be that no one can be ultra uber authentic because nearly all of us us have received modern innoculations.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. Talk about galtroops on A/C and expect to be shut down. The rank and file don't want to hear about it. Fight for your right to be a galtroop all you want, and you can also expect to be the topic of discussion de jure on a particular forum where anything goes.

You go, girl.

southern_belle1861
12-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Mean reenactors exist on every field of the hobby. Just like in real life. Reaching from farb to deranged and dying hardcores, there are people who will be rude. So saying that one end of the hobby is mean while the other end is full of nice people isn't right...

Not having seen the posts you made Miss Cunningham, I cannot judge as to the content. I do however know that the AC board is not a board where questions are repeatedly answered. There is also the fact that you are a woman portraying a soldier. As you already know, its contraversial to say the least... I can understand why Mr. Calloway would try to avoid conflict.

Robert A Mosher
12-12-2007, 02:36 AM
(Quote removed by Provost since the original post was deleted as well.)

Jennifer Cunningham

Mr. Wood/Ms Cunningham -

Every good soldier knows that on the battlefield you want to be on the higher ground, on 'the good ground.' Let me suggest to you that it is also good advice for life in general - when a situation offers you the chance to get down in the mud and wrestle with pigs, it is often better to take the higher road to what one might call the moral high ground. Thirty years of experience in the practice of diplomacy taught me a number of things, but one thing in particular was to never judge an individual by the words - judge them by their actions. Words are cheap -actions usually come at some cost and better reflect the worth and ideals of the person involved.

So, may I suggest that you let it go and move on. Develop the best impression you can and perhaps some day on a reeancting field, you will march past Mr Calloway and you can exchange smiles knowing that all he saw that day was a good soldier going about his business.

And I think that despite the criticisms that can be made of this forum or any other, you will find this forum a good place to find help, advice, information and support as we all strive together to achieve that moment when we walk across a reenacting field and other people see only a soldier going about the business of soldiering.

Robert A. Mosher

tompritchett
12-12-2007, 02:54 AM
Mr. Wood/Ms. Cunningham, I would advise that you just drop your beef with Paul & the AC and move on. Dwelling on it and creating a stink will just make you bitter and fill your life with negativity, even if, in the remote chance, you win. Trust me, it is not worth it as you are running the risk of allowing this instance to poison your whole reenacting experience. Accept the fact that there are some groups that do not accept female impressions of soldiers and focus your attention and efforts on the groups that do allow such impressions - either in a fora such as this or on the field. Use the experiences with the latter to enjoy the hobby rather than dwell on the experiences with the former and thus lessen your enjoyment of the hobby.

southern_belle1861
12-12-2007, 03:07 AM
"Let it go and move on" is exactly what should be done.

You are protraying contraversial impression. As with every topic, there are different views. I honestly doubt that a lawsuit will change Mr. Calloway's mind if he is indeed discriminating.

To be honest, from what I've read, it sounds like you're trying to start a flame war that didn't work.

Anders
12-12-2007, 03:10 AM
Galtroops are becoming a tired old topic, and one we need to move past.

Some events/forums let them in, some restrict such, and others welcome them with open arms.

Unless you are bored and spoiling to make too many enemies, pushing to be somewhere where you are not wanted will do no one any good. Attacking Paul is a poor choice, and will not benefit you or anyone else.

Focussing on those events/forums that permit such and having a good time while doing so will benefit you.

Some events allow Zouaves, some don't. Some events allow civilians, some don't. Some events allow cavalry, some don't. Some events allow mini cannon, some don't. Some events allow Indians, some don't.

And they don't sue, they just go where they are wanted.

As to discrimination, it is not, as you are free to participate on the AC as a civilian as long as comply with the rules. So they are not discriminating against you, but rather an "impression"

And that my dear, on a private forum or private property is legal.

Trust me.

So enjoy yourself, and have a great time in the hobby, just don't force yourself on others. That is where your rights end and thiers begin.

Pards,

MBond057
12-12-2007, 03:12 AM
Thomas is right on the money.

Ms. Brent I was teasing with my posting but things can be taken out of context when you had a valid concern. I apologize for my off the wall comments and making fun of the different approaches to reenacting.

If you every make it to the southwest or when I’m coming east again you will always have a spot on my gun crew if you wish to learn artillery and enjoy the hobby.

Respectfully,

Milliron
12-12-2007, 03:17 AM
(Quote deleted from this message that was removed from the thread. - Provost)

Jennifer Cunningham

FYI, the AC is not a Federal agency, nor is there a law preventing Mr. Calloway from preventing you from posting on his website, as it is privately held. Furthermore, you have suffered no damage. Give it a rest, will you?

rcsob657
12-12-2007, 03:21 AM
It's a private forum. That is cut and dry. I moderate at a very large forum for my former profession, law enforcement. It is true that doing so is pretty time consuming; HOWEVER, I really don't think what he gave as an excuse would fly anywhere. The fact that you are a woman has no bearing on asking questions about weapons, history, uniforms, etc. Absolutely no bearing. That is my opinion and the administrator of that site gave you his. Unfortunately, it's his opinion that wins out since it's his site.

Rob Weaver
12-12-2007, 03:39 AM
I think that all of the posts in this thread have been exceptionally civil. Hissy fits can and have gotten a lot worse. That said, it is a private forum, with private reasons articulated firmly and clearly. You may not like the answer, but that is, to a certain extent, irrelevant.

Brent Wood
12-12-2007, 03:40 AM
As a reply, to letting this subject ruin my reenacting, I don't plan to let it.
Now that i'v said what I had to say about paul calloway, I just want to thank everyone that supplied with me support and advice. Looking forward to the upcoming productive, and enjoyable reenacting season.
Regards,
Brent Wood

CivilWarBuff1863
12-12-2007, 04:26 AM
Mr. Calloway & Miss/Mrs Cunningham,

Please take your personal matters and leave them in your emails. Email each other to solve your differences and not on here on the forum. I can see that this is turning out to be a slug match and it's just not right to come here and slug with one another. That goes for anyone else who has an idea of rediculing each other on the forum including me. If you have "beef" with that person simply PM or email them PRIVATELY!

I don't take sides, I just don't like the idea that it's happening on this forum.

billwatson2
12-12-2007, 04:32 AM
"Discrimination, against someone for there race, sex, age or disability, is a crime, I have already contacted Legal Services in his home town of Fort Wayne, IN . I have shared all the emails and PM's sent, and they tell me that I have a good case against him."

No, discrimination isn't a crime. Only illegal discrimination is actionable. I doubt there's a good case here; the forums amount to a living room, and Paul is the owner. He gets to decide who sits on the sofa, who gets through the door, who gets uninvited. Saying you have a legal right to go into a space owned by another individual because to deny you access is discrimination would fly only if we lacked the legal ability to stop anyone in the world from coming into our house and sitting on the sofa.

Additionally, I believe there are women posters on the AC boards. So a case could apparently be made that some other factor was in play in the decision to ban you.

I'm not commenting on whether I think the policy is good, bad, funny, astonishing, predictable, innovative, forward-looking, self-destructive, misogynist or anything else, just that you may be getting bad legal advice. I've had to go over this same ground in my real world job as newspaper editor, specifically with online forums, and what it boils down to is that we can toss people out of forums for anything we want, whether that's use of bad language, use of good language, or for simply being tiresome. It's our dinner party, we get to decide the guest list.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
12-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Hallo!

Besides... the "1st Model" Maynard carbine was Maynard primer tape system primed.
When the Maynard system finally fell from favor, in 1860 Maynard replaced that mechanism on the "2nd Model" Maynard carbine with the standard musket percussion cap.
;-) :-) :-)

Curt
Former Original Maynard Carbine Shooter Mess
Proud member of the Jocularity Rifles

tompritchett
12-12-2007, 05:27 AM
I just don't like the idea that it's happening on this forum.

Nor do I. Unfortunately, I do not have moderator responsibilities in this conference or else this thread would be closed. I have sent an Alert to the Provost and SGT Pepper letting them know that it is starting to get ugly down here.

Paul, it does no good to respond here as it only eggs Ms. Cunningham on. Trust me, there are plenty here that are more than willing to defend you. Ms. Cunningham, COOL IT. By airing your dirty laundry here you are hurting your own reputation far more than Paul's. Most people here know of Paul and where he stands on issues. We do not know you and are now starting to form opinions on you. To be honest, your latest blasts do not contribute postively to those emerging opinions. Let your contributions here build on your reputation instead of complaining about what happened elsewhere as the latter action can only hurt it.

Claude Sinclair
12-12-2007, 06:23 AM
I founded the Runner From He-l Ultra Club. We have our own website at www.claudesinclair.com I make the rules. I don't care what others think. I pay for the website. I post only what I want to post and I screen what others post. We have over 60 hardcore ultra runners and most have finished 100 mile trail runs. We welcome input from the mainstream runners as long as it fits our agenda. You can make a 50 mile race report or post the results on our website. But don't post the results of a lesser race because I will not allow it. I am putting on a 50 K Fat As-s event this week and someone calls me up complaining because I am not adding a 5 K run so that they can run. I have found that you can't please everyone and I certainly don't try. I am a mainstream reenactor who has attended some of the authentic events. When in Rome I am a Roman and I follow the rules. It just wouldn't be right for me to go to the AC board and try to make the rules. I have posted criticism on the AC Board before and after I gave it some thought, I felt ashamed. I use the AC Board to get information and I will post if I have anything to post. But I have no right to tell them what to do. Neither do you!

Regards,
Claude Sinclair

Pvt Schnapps
12-12-2007, 06:29 AM
I doubt there's a good case here; the forums amount to a living room, and Paul is the owner. He gets to decide who sits on the sofa, who gets through the door, who gets uninvited. Saying you have a legal right to go into a space owned by another individual because to deny you access is discrimination would fly only if we lacked the legal ability to stop anyone in the world from coming into our house and sitting on the sofa.

Not to argue, but before this gets shut down I thought I'd ask whether anything changes once you get 4 or 5,000 people in the rocking chair and barca-lounger?

Anders
12-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Mike,

I think Nacho intake goes up in that case.

Pards,

tompritchett
12-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Not to argue, but before this gets shut down I thought I'd ask whether anything changes once you get 4 or 5,000 people in the rocking chair and barca-lounger?

Accumulated body odor?

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
12-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Hallo!

"Not to argue, but before this gets shut down I thought I'd ask whether anything changes once you get 4 or 5,000 people in the rocking chair and barca-lounger? "

Well, IMHO, it is easier to get the four people in the rocking chair and barca-lounger than the five thousand in just two chairs.
But I could be wrong...
;-) :-)

Curt

Provost
12-12-2007, 10:29 AM
It has been my usual policy to discourage discussions here about issues on other forums. There isn't much chance of changing things on another forum by talking about it here, and it usually just brings out the worst in people's attitudes and thinking.

Having said that, the CWR forums are about respectful, vigorous debate. Almost any topic is fair game, as long as the discussion is carried out in a reasonable manner. Paul constructed his forums along different lines, with different goals. I have not spent much time on Common Ground, but suspect they have a third take on things. There are likely many others out there. That is fine and I am deeply grateful for the "variety of expression" opportunity that affords our larger CWR community.

The advice posted here about a forum owner being able to control their forum as they see fit is exactly correct. It has taken years for us to sort this out as a society, but at this point the legal and social consensus seems clear.

Therefore, I have deleted some posts here because they steped over the line regarding respectful debate, they moved into areas that sound like threats and intimidation. I simply can't allow that, no matter who or what the source.

I trust and expect that everyone has read and will abide by our forum guidelines, which essentially boil down to the Golden Rule, "Treat others as you yourself would like to be treated." Anyone unwilling to do that will find greater pleasure in life posting elsewhere.

Thank you all for airing your feelings on this subject. In my estimation the debate has now reached resolution and is now closed. Feel free to conduct any further discussions you wish through forum PM or email.

Respectfully,

Provost