PDA

View Full Version : Off the wall comments by the public.

6thkentucky
11-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Hello, it's a shame it's this early in the winter and I'm already this bored. So how about this? What are some of the off the wall comments or questions that you've gotten from the public.
More than once I have been asked if I was a yankee or called a yankee. My uniform is cadet grey with French blue trim. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It always seems to bother me a bit more than other things. I've had people get really weird about it when I tell them, no, I'm Confederate. Are people that color blind or it is because it's such a difference in color from all the other shades of grey?
How about you? Any comments from the public you'd like to share?

Robert A Mosher
11-24-2007, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=6thkentucky]More than once I have been asked if I was a yankee or called a yankee. My uniform is cadet grey with French blue trim. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It always seems to bother me a bit more than other things. I've had people get really weird about it when I tell them, no, I'm Confederate./QUOTE]

Actually, my unit has found itself asked the same question, but we usually answer, "No, we're Irish, but we do have some Yankees in the regiment." (28th Massachusetts Volunteers)

I think it was two years ago, while participating in the National Memorial Day parade - with a U.S. flag at the head of the formation - we heard the guide on one of the local 'tourmobiles' describe us as 'civil war soldiers' and then heard him call out to ask us whether we were Confederates or Yankees. I don't think he could have mistaken our response.

Robert A. Mosher

hendrickms24
11-25-2007, 10:50 AM
When, I was volunteering at Ft. McHenry, I would portray an Artilleryman that was garrisoned there during the Battle of Baltimore which happened on September 12, 1814. One question was asked was whether I was a Yankee or a Confederate. :confused:

Parault
11-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I have been asked before too,as to "which side are you?" When it is way to obvious as to whcih side I am protraying. I respond that I am a militant Amish railroad worker. Now if you don't think that raises an eyebrow.

sbl
11-25-2007, 11:54 AM
In New England I got "The British Are Coming!" to my Union uniform.

When I was doing Rev-War British, and we heard "The British Are Coming!" , the answer was : "We aren't even Breathing Hard yet!"

Most wise-@ss's just want to make a joke rather than a historical point.

Fenian
11-25-2007, 11:57 AM
"Is that a real gun"."It is?,do you keep it loaded" Can I shoot it" !!?!

tompritchett
11-25-2007, 12:39 PM
The one time that I was asked which side I portrayed was not when in uniform but rather while at work. A colleague and I were watching up close (about 5 feet away from the work at the time on the other side of a plastic barrier) the construction of a new wing to our science building when one of the workers looked up at us and asked me which side I was one. The only thing I can figure is that he was a fellow reenactor and recognized the 19 century haircut and overall facial hair.

hendrickms24
11-25-2007, 01:37 PM
one of the workers looked up at us and asked me which side I was one.

When asked that I always tell them the right side!
That comment usually confuses them. :rolleyes: :D

Ozark Iron John
11-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd like to hear how ya'll would've responded to this cause it really erked me and I don't know if I handled it too well. I can be a little outspoken sometimes and more'n hard to get along with, if you know what I mean.

I had a mixed-race kid come up to me one time. A little boy. His mom (white) and dad (black) were right behind him, but he was out front doin' the talking.

I smiled and asked "How're you doin' young man? May I help you?" He spouted off, "You're in favor of slavery!"

I smiled and replied "No, my ancesters were fighting for States Rights and against invaders from Illinois and Iowa." I'm from northeast Missouri and our JayHawkers were from Illinois and Iowa, not Kansas.

He said, "You're Southern, that means you're in favor of slavery." I looked at his mom and dad and smiled and then asked him, "How old are you?" He said he was ten or eleven, I can't remember which. I asked him, "What grade are you in?" He said, "Fifth Grade." I said "you're pretty well spoken for a fifth grader."

He made some pronouncement about racism and the evils of slavery and some such that I didn't pay any attention too. I was too busy lookin' at his dad who was smiling and lookin' all smug like he had dropped a turd in my soup. I didn't know what to say, so I pull my pistol out and showed it too 'em. "Do ya'll like guns?" I asked.

His dad said, "No, we don't!" His mom grabbed him by the hand and drug him away. They all stomped off in a huff. I reckon I could've handled it better, but hind sight is 20/20. I'll be more prepared next time.

How do you all deal with antagonistic blacks and mixed race people that are eager to make a confrontation with you over the "so-called cause" of the late great unpleasantness?

While I'm on this topic, let me roll another little scenario at you as well.

I'm mounted. My nephews and my counsins and I all ride pretty darn good horses. Solid, Gun Broke horses that are not skiddish. BUT, horses are horses. In a fight or flight type situation, they are pretty likely to choose flight.

We were in a parade this past summer. Literaly thousands of people lining the route. We turned the corner and headed up to the town square and the crowed sorta started too push in on us. Not too much, but it was obvious, the path was getting more and more ... spooky.

We were ridin' with SCV boys. Old men mostly. Two big draft horses pullin' a stage coach and two mules pullin' a wagon. My nephews and counsins and I were spaced in amongst 'em. This young black man shouted something and spun around in the crowd and caused a comotion. He spooked my counsin's horse, who jumped to the side and bumped into mine. My horse is big and solid so I wheeled him around to the left 270 degrees and was lookin' right down on that kid and the rest of the crowd with fire in my eyes. I was afraid that kid was going to set off an M-80 or God Forbid a .22. He didn't and I went on around and kept moving.

BUT, that'd cause a big problem boys and girls. People would get hurt. The more I think about this the more it makes me think I don't want to do this any more.

How do you all deal that that kind of thing?

madisontigers
11-25-2007, 02:41 PM
"How do you all deal with antagonistic blacks and mixed race people that are eager to make a confrontation with you over the "so-called cause" of the late great unpleasantness?"

Provide documentation to back up your point. Encourage the person you are conversing with....to go to their local library, and read up on the subject. Something that I have found helpful is to be able to provide some sort of evidence for your beliefs. If you want to tell someone that the war was not about slavery, then you had better be able to provide some sort of scholarly material. You will find that to understand the institution of forced bondage in the United States, you will need a thorough knowledge of some of the following: Wilmot proviso, Missouri compromise, Kansas-Nebraska act,Nullification Crisis in S.C.,and some other polictical actions.
The real problem with confronting this issue as a "states rights" advocate, is that it is simply incorrect. Just what do you define as states rights? Sure, tariffs, and other such trade and economic division occured, but States Rights was also a tool the South used to prevent Slavery from being abolished, and at one time, a tool they attempted to utilize in order to allow the expansion of slavery into new states/territories. Now, in my opinion, a better and more appropriate response to the angered youth, would have gone something like this: Well young man, my government does support the institution of slavery, but I, like so many of my fellow soldiers.....do not own any slaves. I would also reccomend that you take some time and look over the 1860 census.
So, one sure way to loose a debate with someone is to outright refuse to acknowledge that slavery ahd nothing to do with the war.

David Long

8th TexCav
11-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I'd like to hear how ya'll would've responded to this cause it really erked me and I don't know if I handled it too well. I can be a little outspoken sometimes and more'n hard to get along with, if you know what I mean.

I had a mixed-race kid come up to me one time. A little boy. His mom (white) and dad (black) were right behind him, but he was out front doin' the talking.

I smiled and asked "How're you doin' young man? May I help you?" He spouted off, "You're in favor of slavery!"

I smiled and replied "No, my ancesters were fighting for States Rights and against invaders from Illinois and Iowa." I'm from northeast Missouri and our JayHawkers were from Illinois and Iowa, not Kansas.

He said, "You're Southern, that means you're in favor of slavery." I looked at his mom and dad and smiled and then asked him, "How old are you?" He said he was ten or eleven, I can't remember which. I asked him, "What grade are you in?" He said, "Fifth Grade." I said "you're pretty well spoken for a fifth grader."

He made some pronouncement about racism and the evils of slavery and some such that I didn't pay any attention too. I was too busy lookin' at his dad who was smiling and lookin' all smug like he had dropped a turd in my soup. I didn't know what to say, so I pull my pistol out and showed it too 'em. "Do ya'll like guns?" I asked.

His dad said, "No, we don't!" His mom grabbed him by the hand and drug him away. They all stomped off in a huff. I reckon I could've handled it better, but hind sight is 20/20. I'll be more prepared next time.

How do you all deal with antagonistic blacks and mixed race people that are eager to make a confrontation with you over the "so-called cause" of the late great unpleasantness?

While I'm on this topic, let me roll another little scenario at you as well.

I'm mounted. My nephews and my counsins and I all ride pretty darn good horses. Solid, Gun Broke horses that are not skiddish. BUT, horses are horses. In a fight or flight type situation, they are pretty likely to choose flight.

We were in a parade this past summer. Literaly thousands of people lining the route. We turned the corner and headed up to the town square and the crowed sorta started too push in on us. Not too much, but it was obvious, the path was getting more and more ... spooky.

We were ridin' with SCV boys. Old men mostly. Two big draft horses pullin' a stage coach and two mules pullin' a wagon. My nephews and counsins and I were spaced in amongst 'em. This young black man shouted something and spun around in the crowd and caused a comotion. He spooked my counsin's horse, who jumped to the side and bumped into mine. My horse is big and solid so I wheeled him around to the left 270 degrees and was lookin' right down on that kid and the rest of the crowd with fire in my eyes. I was afraid that kid was going to set off an M-80 or God Forbid a .22. He didn't and I went on around and kept moving.

BUT, that'd cause a big problem boys and girls. People would get hurt. The more I think about this the more it makes me think I don't want to do this any more.

How do you all deal that that kind of thing?

One thing I never do is shy away from the issue of slavery. The argument for states rights was brought about based on the issue of slavery. The cornerstone of the Confederate government was the continuation of slavery. I acknowledge that fact. I do point out that it was not what the average Southern soldier fought for. He fought to protect his state and home. I try to educate people on that difference. I am not always successful but I try. I think when we try to gloss over the facts we do a disservice not just to spectators but to ourselves. Part of history is to except the parts that are uncomfortable.

When it comes to horses in parades, we only use our reenacting horses. I find that the tighter the formation when something unusual happens, the easier it is for the horses to handle. Breaking the formation can cause more issues than it solves. With a herd animal, keeping steady horses in with the ones that are frightened helps to calm them. That is just my experience.

flattop32355
11-25-2007, 05:06 PM
I'd deal with it the same way I would anyone, of any race, who has it in their head that the issue was that black and white (no pun intended, but I'll take it.)

"Well, you're at least partly right. There were a number of Southerners who fought mainly to preserve slavery. But there were a great number who didn't own slaves or care one way or the other about slavery. They fought for a number of other reasons, like state's rights, or to repell those they saw as invaders of their homes, or even because their friends and neighbors were going to war, and they thought they should, too. Each man had his own reasons, just like those from the North."

There's probably better answers or ways of saying it, but that's done well except for those who have it in their mind to be belligerent; for them, there is no other answer, for that particular question or any other.

reb64
11-25-2007, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=6thkentucky]Hello, it's a shame it's this early in the winter and I'm already this bored. So how about this? What are some of the off the wall comments or questions that you've gotten from the public.
More than once I have been asked if I was a yankee or called a yankee. My uniform is cadet grey with French blue trim. Has this ever happened to anyone else? QUOTE]

If everyone knew everything about the war then why would they need you? be thankful you had the chance to share some knowledge. alot of visitors think they are know it alls. you enlightened someone. isn't that one reason why your out there? and as a side point, there were grey union troops. be thankful, no question is too stupid or your in the wrong pastime.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
11-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Hallo!

"Who is going to win, the Americans or the British?"

Curt

Rob
11-25-2007, 06:32 PM
After I purchased my first authentic-type canteen (covered in grey jean), one of the first questions I had to deal with was "How come you have a Reb canteen?" Oy gevalt...

:rolleyes:

madisontigers
11-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Man,

That's a good question. Well, one of the more common questions I am asked, when wearing my County Cloth Tait, is the following: Hey, why are you wearing a Yankee jacket?

Or, after working as a living historian at Chickamauga one summer, I was hammered with endless questions. I believe I received more questions in regards to the weapoonry, rather than tactics, equipement, or clothing.

David Long

Parault
11-25-2007, 07:04 PM
I have noticed that alot of spectators do zero in on the weapons in the stack.

Rob Weaver
11-25-2007, 09:01 PM
On the way to a recent Rev War event, dressed in my coat, waistcoat, breeches and 3-cornered hat, a convenience store clerk asked "Is there a Civil War event this weekend?"

jthlmnn
11-26-2007, 12:36 AM
On the way to a recent Rev War event, dressed in my coat, waistcoat, breeches and 3-cornered hat, a convenience store clerk asked "Is there a Civil War event this weekend?"

Maybe I'm just suffering from history fatigue, but weren't there some troops attired in just such uniforms at First Bull Run/Manassas?

Rob Weaver
11-26-2007, 08:52 AM
There was that interesting Conn. uniform reminiscent of the Rev War uniform, so I'll give her a half-point for that. However, that which achieves its purpose by accident is not art. My Rev War kit is all civilian, including a deep wine red frock coat. I look more like Captain Hook than Israel Putnam.

Ozark Iron John
11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I think I'd like to get into Rev War re-enacting. Do folks really do it? I've been to Boston, Philidelphia and Colonial Williamsburg. Dang! What a Hoot! I guess it'd mean a whole bunch more money in kit. Momma ain't gonna like that none. She figgers I got too many guns already.

Too many guns. That's like a girl that's too purty, right?

sbl
11-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Ozark,

Rev-War here in Mass. is; fife and drum units, (Good) and some authentic Brits and Colonials (good). There's "costumed" marching units. (fun)

Rob Weaver
11-26-2007, 11:17 AM
We portray a frontier Pennsylvania militia unit, and travel to small and mid-sized events in western PA, western NY, WV and OH. Some of our events lean toward the tradition mainstream, others are more campaign flavored. We do a lot of woods fighting, and last year defended a stockade from the Indians. Rev War is a different animal than Civil War. Feel free to PM me.

MtVernon
11-26-2007, 04:23 PM

That's not as crazy as it seems. There's a couple of rebs in our org. that wear those crazy things.

The craziest thing I ever heard was at my very first event near Sacramento. A black guy asked what side we were on (I do a Federal impression, pretty standard uniform) and who was the "slavery" side.

Needless to say, I was completely dumbfounded.

vamick
11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
"IS THAT A REAL CAMPFIRE?":shock: ..now for sanity's sake later I figured that maybe the kid meant " is that how campfires were conctructed in the American Civil War"..and is that period materials I see burning in it..perhaps;)
it really is a sure and certain test of wether you were cut out to 'educate' or not..but honestly folks! "amerijkans is DUMBBBBB!" and I mean that in the most pate tre otic and loving way!:rolleyes: shootfire AND SAVE MATCHES!
a friend of mine's girlfriend years ago at an airshow didnt know what Pearl Harbor was about!...I mean jeeselouise people! anybody! who sat thru any number of school clases would know something along the lines of "wasnt that some place..like at the ocean..that the army got like..attacked and stuff, and there was like a war or something"???..she didnt even know that much, and she wasnt blond either!:p yep friends..amerikans is dummmb!

Rob Weaver
11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
It has been shocking to me, but I've watched a sense of American history and tradition erode at an alarming rate in the last 15 years. I think it's related to global climate change.

jat
11-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Vamick When I was off to battle my mom had one German turist stick his hand into the fire. I kid you not.

vamick
11-27-2007, 05:08 AM
Vamick When I was off to battle my mom had one German turist stick his hand into the fire. I kid you not.

:D and what did " OH S**t"!!!!!! SOUND LIKE IN THE DEUTCH??
something along tha lines of "MEIN GOTT! DATZ HOT!" WOW...thats simply mind blowing! at least this ..lad..didnt try the fire out:lol:
It sounds kinda 'eliteist' when I say it but its absolutely not meant that way
I KNOW Im nota Eienstien..but when yer round some of these 'modern folks' they can sure make ya look that way...sad but true...yer probably lucky he didnt ring up his lawyer on his flippy floppy cell phone then and there and sue soembody:lol:

RJSamp
11-27-2007, 05:47 AM
I always ask them who fought in the war, and who won the war. You'd be surprised at the answers (I'm looking for Volunteers , and the Federals/Union). I dated an elementary school teacher back in the day and she didn't know that the Union had won the war..... most people assume that soldier's fought in the war, until they're reminded that there were only some 16,000 Regular Army soldier's and 8,000 Veterans who fought in the war....for both sides.

Tarheel57
11-27-2007, 06:10 AM
There was that interesting Conn. uniform reminiscent of the Rev War uniform, so I'll give her a half-point for that. However, that which achieves its purpose by accident is not art. My Rev War kit is all civilian, including a deep wine red frock coat. I look more like Captain Hook than Israel Putnam.

This reminds me that at a local Renaissance Fair the owner wanted to cash in the popularity of "Pirates of the Carribbean" so he designated one weekend 'Pirate Weekend' and there is a permanent "Pirate Camp" with a Johnny Depp lookalike. I decided "If you can't beat 'em join 'em, so for Pirate Weekend I wear my Rev War civilian outfit. Last year I had a spectator demand to know why I was dressed "like this at a renaissance fair". I patiently explained that this was Pirate Weekend, and I was dressed appropriately for the era depicted. All I got was a look of glazed incomprehension and they walked off still muttering about "...but it's a Renassance fair". This happened a few times. Meanwhile, there were 'Pirates' all over the place being chased by British soldiers!

Charles Reynolds
11-27-2007, 06:23 AM
RJ Samp
Got to love the volunteers, Great Grandfather fought with the 81st Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Aug 1962-June 1865
Chuck

Tomp40
11-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Living in NJ and being a CW reenactor, i've had people ask me, "Do you do the Washington crossing the Delaware reenactment?" .. Then I kindly point out that, Washington crossed the Delaware 90 years earlier.

Graves Mercantile
11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
RJ Samp
Got to love the volunteers, Great Grandfather fought with the 81st Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Aug 1962-June 1865
Chuck

1962 - 1865?

Your grandfather had a time machine?

chatrbug
11-27-2007, 09:46 AM
okay... I have to pipe in with a few comments I get....

the one I hear the most is... how do you use the bathroom? then the next one is.... are you really breathing in that corset? to that I generally want to answer... nope, Im not, do I look blue? the bathroom comment only bugs me because it is kind of a personal question... I dont go around asking others how they go!

And yes... I find corsets and hoops comfortable and could wear them everyday, thats another question I hear alot.

bill watson
11-27-2007, 09:55 AM
I think the answer to Ozark John's question might be simply to refuse to engage. I mean, if someone is coming up and telling you what's what, the goal is a confrontation or argument. I'd be tempted to say something like "My, aren't you a bright one?" and smile, or "Did you want an answer or a fight?" or something like that, following with "Can't tell you a thing, can we?" or "You'll have to find someone smarter than a dirt farmer private to answer to the politics of this war", followed by the final response, "Well, I'll pray for you." But I wouldn't. :-)

I got the sense that's what Ozark was trying to do by engaging them on the weapons. At least they went away.

You're dealing with what it's like to be stereotyped. Truth is there were really not very many white people in that era who believed blacks were equal; all they believed even in the abolition circles was that slavery was wrong for any human. But nobody comes up to Yankee soldiers and asks them why they fight for black freedom when they hate blacks, because nobody knows that's the normal, everyday, plain set of beliefs for the average Union soldier.

It would, of course, be an even tougher question to handle.

tompritchett
11-27-2007, 10:31 AM
most people assume that soldier's fought in the war, until they're reminded that there were only some 16,000 Regular Army soldier's and 8,000 Veterans who fought in the war....for both sides.

Yes, initially they were volunteers but by mid-war the "volunteer" regiments were being filled with a lot of draftee's also. Besides, regardless of how they enlisted, voluntarily or non-voluntarily, once they joined the actual armies, they were as much soldiers as the regulars who had been serving before the war. Your statement would be analogous to saying all those men from the nationalized National Guard units that died at Normandy were not soldiers because they were not serving in the Army prior to WWII.

Spinster
11-27-2007, 11:56 AM
This reminds me that at a local Renaissance Fair the owner wanted to cash in the popularity of "Pirates of the Carribbean" so he designated one weekend 'Pirate Weekend' and there is a permanent "Pirate Camp" with a Johnny Depp lookalike. I decided "If you can't beat 'em join 'em, so for Pirate Weekend I wear my Rev War civilian outfit. Last year I had a spectator demand to know why I was dressed "like this at a renaissance fair". I patiently explained that this was Pirate Weekend, and I was dressed appropriately for the era depicted. All I got was a look of glazed incomprehension and they walked off still muttering about "...but it's a Renassance fair". This happened a few times. Meanwhile, there were 'Pirates' all over the place being chased by British soldiers!

Alas, we see more of this sort of thing every year. Having gotten surrounded by pirates at what was billed as a CW period event by the organizers, we quickly referred to them as 'Blockade Runners' and went on about living in 1861, despite the mayhem around us. Occasionally, we'd ask them about items we hoped they'd bring next time they ran the blockade.

Said pirates took that as a compliment and a challenge--the next time we saw them, 9 months later, they immediately pulled out all sorts of fine plunder that they had brought us "through the blockade" .

MtVernon
11-28-2007, 02:53 AM
This reminds me that at a local Renaissance Fair the owner wanted to cash in the popularity of "Pirates of the Carribbean" so he designated one weekend 'Pirate Weekend' and there is a permanent "Pirate Camp" with a Johnny Depp lookalike.

Well, this reminds me of a certain Reb out West here who has, as of this year, taken to dressing and acting like Johnny Depp's stunt double, complete with the little braids in his goatee and a drunken, staggering walk.

I'm sort of embarrassed for him. He obviously craves attention, but not necessarily the good variety. I think people generally give him wide berth and try to avoid eye contact.

Rob Weaver
11-28-2007, 04:00 AM
I think that's a gret response, and they accepted the offer to come play on our playground. That was very gracious.

Alas, we see more of this sort of thing every year. Having gotten surrounded by pirates at what was billed as a CW period event by the organizers, we quickly referred to them as 'Blockade Runners' and went on about living in 1861, despite the mayhem around us. Occasionally, we'd ask them about items we hoped they'd bring next time they ran the blockade.

Said pirates took that as a compliment and a challenge--the next time we saw them, 9 months later, they immediately pulled out all sorts of fine plunder that they had brought us "through the blockade" .

M.Metz
11-28-2007, 06:24 AM
There is a dis mount farb unit in the neighboring county from my unit who we appropriatly name the "Farb Pirates" They are dressed all fancy with gold embelishments, peacock feathers, silver spurs, up to six pistols on one body, some sport a henry repeater, even in early war reenactments. One man would wander the field with two lemats (spelling) at the hip. They are about as reckless as pirates. I have not seen any battle where thier pistols dont chain fire. These are the people who give reenactors a bad name, and get someone hurt. I did fall victim to a young girl shooting me with a double barrle shotgun from the hip and extremely close range. I faired the best the other guy almost lost his sight.

Sorry this turned into a rant, but I just had to complain about the pirate reenactors in my area,

Charles Reynolds
11-28-2007, 06:45 AM
No not a time machine just a typo Forgive me all to ****
Chuck

tompritchett
11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Having gotten surrounded by pirates at what was billed as a CW period event by the organizers, we quickly referred to them as 'Blockade Runners' and went on about living in 1861, despite the mayhem around us. Occasionally, we'd ask them about items we hoped they'd bring next time they ran the blockade.

Considering that one man's pirate may be another man's pirateer, some could argue that the Confederate commerce raiders were CW era pirates. :)

bulletsponge
11-28-2007, 07:43 AM
I was preparing a particularly wonderful boiler full of rice at one living history. I had grilled an onion just so, added a few mushrooms I had just purchased at a farmer's market and except for the missing dry sherry, it was a good imitation of a fine risotto. A couple of onlookers (and maybe it's because they were young) looked at what I was cooking and asked "Are you really going to eat that?".

Rob Weaver
11-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Really the big problem with this unit is that it's clearly unsafe in any time period.

There is a dis mount farb unit in the neighboring county from my unit who we appropriatly name the "Farb Pirates" They are dressed all fancy with gold embelishments, peacock feathers, silver spurs, up to six pistols on one body, some sport a henry repeater, even in early war reenactments. One man would wander the field with two lemats (spelling) at the hip. They are about as reckless as pirates. I have not seen any battle where thier pistols dont chain fire. These are the people who give reenactors a bad name, and get someone hurt. I did fall victim to a young girl shooting me with a double barrle shotgun from the hip and extremely close range. I faired the best the other guy almost lost his sight.

Sorry this turned into a rant, but I just had to complain about the pirate reenactors in my area,

goatgirl
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
School days when all the “kids” are there can be something else. At the Atlanta Campaign I had a little baby goat with me. We heard quite a good many amusing things that day, but the most outrageous question was “Is that a real goat!?” After a while I was getting weary and started saying, “Nah, he’s stuffed.”

7thMDYankee
11-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Well, once many years ago a man approached our blue line and accused the Yankees of "cheating." I questioned what he meant by that. He replied, "Well, you had all those extra weapons and those supplies Bobby Lee didn't... you shouldn't have used them." I was stunned.

Rather than try to pry any more reasoning out of him I exercised an old piece of advice I heard once... it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but none to stand there with a blank look on your face.

8th TexCav
11-29-2007, 02:59 AM
"Who won the war?"
The Union did.
"If you already know that, why bother? I mean, don't you get tired of losing?"
(We portray a Texas cavalry unit)

"Do you use real bullets?"
No, that would be dangerous. This is all staged.
"How can you tell who wins?"
This one is actually a good opening to explain the hobby. It sounds funny at first but I understand the point the person was driving at. To be honest, it is hard to tell at times!

7thMDYankee
11-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Real bullets... yes, I've heard that one too. I've also heard it said, "There's no such thing as a dumb question, but there are many inquisitive idiots."

reb64
11-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Well, once many years ago a man approached our blue line and accused the Yankees of "cheating." I questioned what he meant by that. He replied, "Well, you had all those extra weapons and those supplies Bobby Lee didn't... you shouldn't have used them." I was stunned.

Rather than try to pry any more reasoning out of him I exercised an old piece of advice I heard once... it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but none to stand there with a blank look on your face.

the two sides were never on equal footing, manpower, naval or equipment. it wasn't cheating but it was loppsided from the start.

jat
11-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I have had people ask me if I really sleep at the reeactments. I to have had people ask if we us real bullets. My mom has been asked if the squash was plastic.

Rob Weaver
11-30-2007, 01:04 AM
After a basic talk with a couple kids on the gun, etc, one asked me somewhat sheepishly, "Did you fight in the war?" I was seventeen at the time.

Tom Scoufalos
11-30-2007, 02:34 AM
"You're 'against' the Russians, right?" - from a teenage girl behind the counter of a fast food joint to a few of us in Federal uniform on the road home back in the late 80's. No lie.

-Tom

vamick
11-30-2007, 02:38 AM
After a basic talk with a couple kids on the gun, etc, one asked me somewhat sheepishly, "Did you fight in the war?" I was seventeen at the time.

hahahah!! this happened to a fellar in my battery while we were doing a LH "show and tell" type thing at a local school, and since he had mostly white hair:D well you get tha picture! we got many laughs outa that kids comment!

Robert A Mosher
11-30-2007, 02:47 AM
"You're 'against' the Russians, right?" - from a teenage girl behind the counter of a fast food joint to a few of us in Federal uniform on the road home back in the late 80's. No lie.

-Tom

Tom -
You're a good man, Tom. I would have been tempted to tell her she was misinformed and the Russians actually supported the Union in the war against the rebels - and the Russian Navy was in New York harbor to prove it!

Robert A. Mosher

ILYankee5
11-30-2007, 04:12 AM
As of late, I haven't got the usual "do you shoot real bullets" or "do you really die"? But what I get a lot of anymore is "do you get payed to do that"? At first I would say no, that it is my hobby and I would give them the reasons why I reenact. I guess this just goes to show how money minded a lot of people are today.

Seth Graves

blueYankee
11-30-2007, 07:26 AM
First time the Family headed for Cedar Creek, VA, my son who was 12yrs at the time and dressed in Federal drummer uniform stopped in the Dunkin Donuts in a near by town. When the teenage clerk waited on us, she looked over my son and asked if he was he was with the "Horse Show" down the street. I think both our jaws dropped to the ground.
While in Mechanicsville, VA at a grocery store, my son's and nephew followed me into the store in Federal garb....as we wandered the isles looking for coffee... we got the usual stares and then an elderly couple passed by and the comment heard from the man was "Some people are still fighting the civil war"!!. I turned and told him yes...right down the road at Cold Harbor... : (

hanktrent
11-30-2007, 10:30 AM
First time the Family headed for Cedar Creek, VA, my son who was 12yrs at the time and dressed in Federal drummer uniform stopped in the Dunkin Donuts in a near by town. When the teenage clerk waited on us, she looked over my son and asked if he was he was with the "Horse Show" down the street.

That reminds me of a "dumb question" I once asked!

Linda and I were spectators at a small local reenactment where, historically, cavalry had been involved. It was one of those events in a park, with a mix of spectators, friends of reenactors in modern clothes, and everybody hanging out together in close quarters. We thought we'd seen all the soldiers, except there was no mounted cavalry.

After viewing the camps, we walked a short way to see the local museum, where there was reenactor and extra spectator parking, that blended into horse trailers parked in the back, and people saddling and exercising their horses in the field behind the building. We thought we'd found the cavalry, not quite changed into uniform yet, with their wives helping prepare the horses.

Actually, it turned out to be an unrelated horse show being held in the field behind the museum, but not before we did just the opposite of your Cedar Creek experience...

We asked a horse show rider if he was with the cavalry! :D

Two wrongs don't make a right, but do two dumbs make a smart?

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

8th TexCav
11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Hank,

We showed up at a small barrel racing event on the way home from a living history. Two problems. We were still dressed in period dress and I forgot to pack my wife's barrel saddle. She did change into jeans but had to use my McClellan. Lots of questions. The only stupid ones were directed at me by my family!
:lol:

Poor Private
11-30-2007, 11:57 AM
I get asked alot the same question that ILYankee5 did "do you get payed for doing this".
I finally got tired of answering with the standard lines--We do it for fun, this is our hobby, this is one way of recreating historyand teaching it.
So now I bring out my period wallet and pull out $13 in greenbacks and say "yes sir/ma'am and it was payday yesterday".

Linda Trent
11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
"IS THAT A REAL CAMPFIRE?":shock:

A number of years ago Hank and I stopped at Waveland, Kentucky where a little boy asked the docent, "Is that fire real?" The answer really was, no it's electric (or gas, I forget which). Was that child dumb for asking? It sure looked real to me -- but I didn't have the nerve to ask. :lol:

Linda.

flattop32355
11-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Linda and I were spectators at a small local reenactment where, historically, cavalry had been involved....

Actually, it turned out to be an unrelated horse show being held in the field behind the museum

Let me guess: 2007 Buffington Island.
Wish I'd known you were there.

Linda Trent
11-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Let me guess: 2007 Buffington Island.
Wish I'd known you were there.Yep, sad to say there were no horses *at* the event, but there were within shouting distance at the show. Who'd have thunk there'd be a horse show next door to an event where there should be cavalry. I just figured that Morgan would do what he did when he rode through this area -- confiscate them! :p

Linda.