PDA

View Full Version : War on Christmas!!!

sbl
11-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Maybe a Schlieffen Plan on Christmas....

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/ba/11/0d34_12.JPG

"Paul von Hindenburg Blown Glass West German Ornament" Frohe Weihnachten!

"...A very important figure in German and world history. This unused Christmas ornament is beautiful and was hand made in West Germany. This ornament is about five inches tall and is a very colorful decoration. It was purchased in West Germany between 1978 and 1990...."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-von-Hindenburg-Blown-Glass-West-German-Ornament_W0QQitemZ300171846647QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4 8791QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte m

I was looking for Franco-Prussian War toy soldiers

Rob Weaver
11-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I think a garland of Prussian infantrymen marching around the tree would be both decorative and tasteful - we put toy soldiers in our tree, an allusion to the movie "Toy Story."

redleggeddevil
11-21-2007, 07:56 AM
My tree is festooned with enough firepower to overrun the Low Countries--Contintental infantrymen, toy soldiers and an entire Highland pipe band.

Without all that, how does one intend to repel Christmas Eve attacks by giant, malicious mice and their multi-headed king?

Rob Weaver
11-21-2007, 09:04 AM
I have a British Guards band that was cast by Jack Scruby himself which I painted back when I lived in California. The piper was the hardest of all. I actually laid out my kilt and copied the pattern and how the cloth draped from it. Still one of the best pieces I ever painted!

flattop32355
11-21-2007, 10:13 AM
My son still has the 1000 piece Reb/Yank set I got him some years back. It made for a lot of plastic carnage when he and friend would go at it.

Pete K
11-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I have GI Joe on skis delivering a candy cane, Action Team GI Joe with six wheel atv, George Washington with axe and Christmas Tree, (Hallmark ornaments), numerous miltary musicains: Drummers, fifers, horns, etc.. (18th c. looking?), Rev. men on horseback (I don't know where I found these...) and a wooden Sodiers Aid Society orniment my sister gave me as a gift from Virginia. Just part of the fun I guess.

sbl
11-21-2007, 11:03 AM
I love that stuff! We had to do the baby's 1st, 2nd Christmas ornament etc for years and put up all the "Krap" that they make in grade school, but I'm hoping to get back to the 1860's tree theme. Toy soldiers have always been my favorite gift but my son likes any thing with wheels and my daughter is really "girley." As Andrew said, you need the toy soldiers to guard Clara from the Mouse King.

tompritchett
11-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I love that stuff! We had to do the baby's 1st, 2nd Christmas ornament etc for years and put up all the "Krap" that they make in grade school, but I'm hoping to get back to the 1860's tree theme.

Trust me, it could be worse. My wife has been collecting Waterford Christmas tree ornaments since we have been married. The funny part now is that she can not put any of them too low in the tree after she found "her" cat trying to play with one of them hanging from the tree.

redleggeddevil
11-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Tom, I know your pain. My father had a set of turn of the century hand-painted wooden ornaments that were the jewels of our Christmas tree. Alas, they were not so appealing after passing through the digestive tract of our puppy...

Rob Weaver
11-22-2007, 10:47 AM
We have to leave the bottom row of branches bare or the cats will destroy whatever was hanging there.
Andrew: Do you have cats now?

sbl
11-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Here is an Action figure for cat-lovers.

"Crazy Cat Lady Action Figure
Every town has a Crazy Cat Lady. She's the one who lives in a tiny house full of feral felines. This 5-1/4" tall, hard vinyl Crazy Cat Lady Action Figure has a wild look in her eye and comes with six cats. ARE YOU A CRAZY CAT PERSON?"

http://www.mcphee.com/pixlarge/11377.jpg

Crazy Cat Lady Action Figure
item 11377
$10.95 ea.

Two of my old girl friends (unmarried) are going in that direction...

tompritchett
11-22-2007, 12:43 PM
We have to leave the bottom row of branches bare or the cats will destroy whatever was hanging there.

Did you ever have any of your younger cats try climbing up the inside of the tree (only applies to artificial trees)?

tompritchett
11-22-2007, 12:44 PM
ARE YOU A CRAZY CAT PERSON?"

Do three cats and a bloodhound count (it was 4 cats but the oldest died this summer)?

redleggeddevil
11-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Did you ever have any of your younger cats try climbing up the inside of the tree (only applies to artificial trees)?

Yes, it was a perennial problem, except the cat wasn't young and the tree wasn't artificial. We had a big old calico who would claw her way to the top of a 7 foot Balsam every year, then rock it back and forth until, with a great shattering of blown glass, she would ride it back down to the ground.

That was when Dad began using 9 gauge wire to affix it to the wall.

Very festive, that.

tompritchett
11-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Yes, it was a perennial problem, except the cat wasn't young and the tree wasn't artificial. We had a big old calico who would claw her way to the top of a 7 foot Balsam every year, then rock it back and forth until, with a great shattering of blown glass, she would ride it back down to the ground.

Interesting enough, it was our calico that had that habit when she was younger. Would if it has something to do with the breed or if it is just a coincidence.

Poor Private
11-25-2007, 06:51 AM
For some reason our cats love to eat the **** tinsel. Make for a nice decorative and festive cat litter box.

redleggeddevil
11-25-2007, 08:04 AM
For some reason our cats love to eat the **** tinsel.

Ah, another fond reminder of my childhood! Along with the sound of crashing trees and shattering ornaments, the sound of a cat trying to regurgitate a ball of tinsel on the dining room table...

Really, it is a wonder that I don't dread Christmas!

Rob Weaver
11-25-2007, 09:18 PM
We need that Crazy Cat Person figure - 2 weeks ago we rescued an Abyssian that's the same age as the Abby we already had. So now we have 2 insane desert cats who climb on stuff, and the only way to tell them apart is that one drools when she purrs. Dogs rule and cats drool.
All of our cats have climbed the tree at one time or another, and I'd completely forgotten the joys of cat digestive tracts and tinsel. ROFL at the very thought.
If it weren't for Jesus, I think I'd skip Christmas altogether.:D

ILYankee5
11-25-2007, 09:47 PM
I have a cat and a pug dog and they both love to go under the tree and shake. They knock ornaments off and the pug dog will take off running with one in his mouth. It is a constant fight. But it is a good way to keep off the holiday pounds. Words of advice, don't get one of those trees that go all the way to the floor.

As far as decorations, my tree is adorned with both union and confederate soldiers as well as several continental soldiers, plus the traditional family Christmas ornaments. Talking about all this puts me in the Christmas spirit...maybe I will by myself something for reenacting :)

Seth Graves

redleggeddevil
11-26-2007, 07:24 AM
This year should be especially interesting, as we have adopted a young Basset Hound (he will celebrate his first birthday the week before Christmas). He is low-slung, but can stretch like a King Cobra when the mood strikes. In addition, his jaws could chew a hole through the earth's crust given sufficient time.

We are already strategizing as to how we can elevate the tree sufficiently so that he can't do too much damage. I suggested suspending it from the ceiling, but my wife tends to disagree...

Rob Weaver
11-26-2007, 08:49 AM
We used to have a labrador who ate a box of glass ornaments. They were small red glass balls about the size of large cherries. He would, one by one, pick them off the tree and crunch them up like dinner mints. There is one left after all these years, and it bears teeth marks.

tompritchett
11-26-2007, 12:01 PM
We used to have a bloodhound/saint bernard mix named Loki (he earned the name as a pup). His tail was devastating and more than once bent me over by hitting me in the wrong spot. We literally closed off the Living Room with child gates before putting up the tree. He didn't have to chomp on ornaments or pull on the tree - all he had to do was walk past it wagging his tail.