PDA

View Full Version : M1861 Springfield clean out screw

ProfessorK
11-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Need a little advice, please expound on methods to free up a frozen clean out screw on M1861 Springfield. Just got a used one and in cleaning cannot get the screw to free up. Ideas Please

bob 125th nysvi
11-17-2007, 03:26 PM
for both the 1851 & 1861 are here.

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6375

In the "how-to" forum

Good Luck

TheQM
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Good Luck

So Bob,

Were you able to get that screw out?

ProfessorK
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
I followed the following procedure and did get the screw to break loose.
1. I poured break free down the barrel and let it sit, filling the bolster and the inside of the screw threads for about 3 hours.
2. Cleaned the bore and picked at the clean out screw threads with the nipple removed with a nipple pick, chipping pieces of carbon away.
3. I then flushed out the bolster with "Gun Scrubber", replaced nipple and covered with a leather scrap with hammer lowered to hold another dose of break free.
4. Removed barrel from stock and took a wode bladed screw driver (which fit the slot) and gave the clean out screw several hard raps with a hammer.
5. Using same wide bladed screw driver and as much downward pressure and I could, screw broke free and came right out.
6. Clean threads with small copper or steel brush, blow out bolster with "GunScrubber," oil as normal and reassemble.

Might not work in every case but this worked for me.

bob 125th nysvi
11-21-2007, 02:38 PM
So Bob,

Were you able to get that screw out?

Bill.

Took the musket to the Veteran's day parade and it has been lying on the dining room table ever since as I put off stripping it down and giving it a full cleaning INCLUDING trying to get it back to armory bright.

But when I screw it up (or with luck out) I'll let you know.