PDA

View Full Version : Manhunt: The 12 day chase for John Wilkes Booth

BobSzabo
05-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Just finished this book recently and it is very good.

I enjoyed it so much I will going to the sites that are still around soon like the Mudd House and Surratt Tavern in Clinton, MD, formally Surratesville.

Get this book. Highly recommended!

ThumbStall
08-17-2006, 07:55 PM
....I will (be) going to the sites that are still around... There's one that's not "still around" but still accessible.... the Garrett farm site. It's the weirdest historical site I've been too because it sits in the middle of the wooded median strip of Rt. 301 which itself is smack dab in the middle of the U.S. Army's Fort A. P. Hill (of Boy Scout Jamboree fame).

When on Rt. 301 going north of Bowling Green, pull over at the Booth highway historical marker. Across the road from the highway sign is another sign in the median pointing to a path in the woods which leads to the site where the house once stood. The corner of the house's porch was pinpointed using old aerial photographs. There's a bench at the site to sit on and someone put some laminated cards tbere to describe the history of the place. The tobacco barn where Booth was shot stood a few yards away in the middle of what is now the southbound lane of Rt. 301.

I have no idea who put the bench and the historical info there... one of the Lincoln assisination tour groups I suppose. It's kinda strange to sit there in the woods where Booth died and listen to the traffic whizzing by on either side... the humming of cars and trucks the only eulogy for the man who shot President Lincoln.

dustyswb
08-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Bob, if you ever get the chance, I highly recommend this tour.

http://www.surratt.org/su_bert.html

Pvt.Bowz
08-17-2006, 10:25 PM
I echo Mr. Szabo's comments on the book, very well written. I am currently a docent at the Dr. Mudd house and museum and highly recommend visiting sometime. The house is absolutely packed with artifacts ranging from the 1860's through 1911 including the actual couch on which Mudd examined Booth's leg as well as items that Dr. Mudd made in the prison shop. The tour will also introduce the visitor to Mudd family history, as well as touch on some of the controversies that surround Dr. Mudd's involvement with the events of Lincoln's assassination. Hope to see some of you all there.
Here is the website to the museum: click here! (http://www.somd.lib.md.us/MUSEUMS/Mudd.htm)

Bob Bowser

ejazzyjeff
08-18-2006, 11:34 AM
They are suppose to be making a movie on the book.

Harrison Ford has signed on to star in the historical thriller Manhunt for Walden Media. Ford will play the lead role of Colonel Conger, a celebrated Civil War hero who leads the New York Cavalry in their search for Abraham Lincolnís assassin. Based on the forthcoming book by leading Lincoln historian James L. Swanson, Manhunt will be produced by Lawrence Bender (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Vols. 1 & 2, The Great Raid), and will be adapted for the screen by Mike Rich (The Rookie, Finding Forrester).

http://www.lincolnbicentennial.gov/press/news/news09210591.php

ThumbStall
08-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Harrison Ford... yeech. :shock: The book may be good but with Harrison Ford its probably going to turn out like a Tom Clancey movie. Jack Ryan in a kepi.... double yeech. :-x

(BTW... I'm named ofter my grandfather, not Han Solo. ;) )

reb64
08-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Some say Booth died in Oklahoma.