PDA

View Full Version : State of Maryland - Legislative Resolution

pvt t a white
05-06-2006, 04:42 PM
"Whereas, The war against the Confederate States is unconstitutional and repugnant to civilization, and will result in bloody and shameful overthrow of our institutions; and whilst recognizing the obligations of Maryland to the Union, we sympathize with the South in the struggle for their rights-for the sake of humanity, we are for peace and reconciliation, and solemnly protest against this war, and will take no part in it:-
"Resolved, That Maryland implores the President, in the name of God, to cease this unholy war, at least until Congress assembles; that Maryland desires and consents to the recognition of the independence of the Confederate States. The military occupation of Maryland is unconstitutional, and she protests against it, though the violent interference with the transit of Federal troops is discountenanced; that the vindication of her rights be left to time and reason, and that a convention, under existing circumstances, is inexpedient." May 10, 1861

Pvt T A White
God Save the South

TimKindred
05-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Well,

A lot of good THAT did, now didn't it?

Respects,

frankstevanus
05-06-2006, 06:56 PM
I think you are right, Tim. As I believe the President's response to the above request was to suspend Habeus Corpus and lock them all up. So much for the "great rebellion" in Maryland, eh?

Cav_Maj
05-11-2006, 12:51 PM
On this day, April 29, 1861, the Maryland State Convention meeting in Annapolis votes 53 to 13 in favor of secession. Maryland the "Old Line State" is now kept in the Union by force, thus the opening lines of the poem, "Maryland" by James R. Randall.

"The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

Brian Woodyard
Native Marylander Mess

Frenchie
05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Lincoln had no choice but to place Maryland under martial law and suspend the writ of habeus corpus because he could not risk having Washington surrounded by enemy territory. Moving the capital to Philadelphia would have given the Confederacy a political victory that the Union couldn't afford.

That the military occupation of the state (especially Baltimore), and the arrests and confinements made under the suspension of habeus corpus were not as harsh as they might have been, are testaments to Lincoln's reluctance and restraint, although there are many who see it otherwise.

flattop32355
05-11-2006, 10:35 PM
He who tries to straddle atop the picket fence tends to end up getting the point, no matter which way he leans.

tompritchett
05-12-2006, 06:22 AM
I think that post may be even more applicable to Kentucky, which openly declared its neutrality (i.e., straddled the issue) but become a periodic battleground for at least the first half of the war. Maryland tried to secede but was instead placed under martial law. However, being essentially in Union hands for the war, it was spared from as many battles as Kentucky, although it too had immediate family and neighbors fighting across the battle lines.