PDA

View Full Version : Spammers motivation

22ndPvt.Smith
11-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Why don't they just give up already.....:confused:

Provost
11-08-2007, 06:59 PM
If they send out 1,000,000 notices and only .1% respond with money they've made a lot of dough. There is no cost for annoying people, unfortunately.

tompritchett
11-08-2007, 07:46 PM
If they send out 1,000,000 notices and only .1% respond with money they've made a lot of dough. There is no cost for annoying people, unfortunately.

It is also my understanding that many of these spam attacks are actually done by a program so that there is little effort on the spammer's part to send out those 1,000,000 notices. I know that there has been some talk of making the Internet more of a pay-as-you-go service where you are charged by charging users for excessive band-width usage. While I am personally opposed to the whole concept for several reasons, one advantage of such a system would be making spamming expensive enough that the 1/1,000,000 response rate might no longer be cost effective.

bulletsponge
11-13-2007, 06:15 PM
If email cost 1 cent per missive, it would put those bums out of business, and 99.9% of us would barely notice the change in the bill from the ISP.

Graves Mercantile
11-13-2007, 06:57 PM
1 cent per email sounds fine until the bill arrives. I send probably 10-20 per day for work and personal stuff. That would add up to about $75 per year in unneccessary expenses. Not small potatoes.

Rob
11-13-2007, 07:10 PM
"Well, what've you got?"

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg, sausage, and bacon; egg and spam; egg, bacon, and spam; egg, bacon, sausage, and spam; spam, bacon, sausage, and spam; spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon, and spam; spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon, spam, tomato, and spam; spam, spam, spam, egg, and spam; spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam, or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam."

"Have you got anything without spam?"

"Well, there's spam, egg, sausage, and spam. That's not got much spam in it."

"I don't want ANY spam!"

:D

bill watson
11-13-2007, 08:17 PM
It works against some of us. We have more than 3,000 people signed up to get text alerts from us (my newspaper) for items like breaking news, traffic jams, sports scores, school news, etc., so they don't have to wait for the next day's paper. Some of the spam filtering software used by a local internet provider is blocking us from reaching hundreds of our email newsletter subscribers, even though it is material they specifically signed up to get. We're about ready to go to war with them.

jthlmnn
11-13-2007, 10:03 PM
"Well, what've you got?"

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg, sausage, and bacon; egg and spam; egg, bacon, and spam; egg, bacon, sausage, and spam; spam, bacon, sausage, and spam; spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon, and spam; spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon, spam, tomato, and spam; spam, spam, spam, egg, and spam; spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam, or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam."

"Have you got anything without spam?"

"Well, there's spam, egg, sausage, and spam. That's not got much spam in it."

"I don't want ANY spam!"

:D

Male chorus: (Unison, forte>pianissimo) Spam, spam, spam, spam
(Continue pianissimo under four part harmony) Spam, spam, spam, spam
(Four-part harmony, forte) Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!

Rob
11-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg, bacon, spam, and sausage without the spam.

jthlmnn
11-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg, bacon, spam, and sausage without the spam.

"Dear, dont cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it! I'll have the spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam, and spam." (Repeat chorus from above.)

Radar
11-14-2007, 06:47 AM
Why don't they just give up already.....:confused:

Just a bunch of )(&%*)_(*^ jerks with nothing else to do.

SmellyFed
11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
It is also my understanding that many of these spam attacks are actually done by a program so that there is little effort on the spammer's part to send out those 1,000,000 notices. I know that there has been some talk of making the Internet more of a pay-as-you-go service where you are charged by charging users for excessive band-width usage. While I am personally opposed to the whole concept for several reasons, one advantage of such a system would be making spamming expensive enough that the 1/1,000,000 response rate might no longer be cost effective.

Yep Tom - you're right. It's a computer program in most cases. It registers at hundreds of forums at a time and once it gets through the registration process, it posts spam messages. It's a numbers game.

If anyone doesn't believe it, visit http://www.botmaster.net/ and you can see the software for yourself.

I've taken some new security steps on the AC and passed on a tip to the Provost here on how to frustrate the software from registering.

tompritchett
11-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Just a bunch of )(&%*)_(*^ jerks with nothing else to do.

I would reserve that description first to hackers and then to trolls. The Spammers are more along the lines of businessmen that have lost track of the Golden Rule.

bulletsponge
11-14-2007, 06:13 PM
"Dear, dont cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it! I'll have the spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam, and spam." (Repeat chorus from above.)
Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

6thkentucky
11-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Spamming and food songs. It's going to be a long winter.

jthlmnn
11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

"Well, could I have spam instead of the baked beans, then?"

(Honoring the 70th Anniversary of SPAMŽ Classic. Do YOU have YOUR T-shirt, yet? http://www.spam.com/seventy/)

RWelker
11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
"Well, could I have spam instead of the baked beans, then?"

(Honoring the 70th Anniversary of SPAMŽ Classic. Do YOU have YOUR T-shirt, yet? http://www.spam.com/seventy/)

Went to the museum this summer- very funny place but the whole town smells of spam.