PDA

View Full Version : Charleston SC Battlefields

chucktown5
11-08-2007, 04:03 PM
I have created a blog for the cool civil war sites around Charleston, complete with pictures, interesting facts, etc..

I'm especially interested in the hard to find places.. The sites that are registered as official historic sites, but really haven't been completely preserved.. The "non-touristy" places... As you will see for "Battery #5" in my blog, this place is in the middle of a upper-class neighborhood.. It's so cool that the earthworks look almost exactly as they did when they were built 140 plus years ago!

http://matt-civilwar.blogspot.com/

Check it out if you want.. I think it's pretty neat. :)

TexConfederate
11-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I have created a blog for the cool civil war sites around Charleston, complete with pictures, interesting facts, etc..

I'm especially interested in the hard to find places.. The sites that are registered as official historic sites, but really haven't been completely preserved.. The "non-touristy" places... As you will see for "Battery #5" in my blog, this place is in the middle of a upper-class neighborhood.. It's so cool that the earthworks look almost exactly as they did when they were built 140 plus years ago!

http://matt-civilwar.blogspot.com/

Check it out if you want.. I think it's pretty neat. :)

I was stationed in Charleston from 79-81, and was appalled at how difficult it was to get to various places, and how ill-kept some were. Castle Pickney was a ruin, falling down, and overgrown with weeds, when I was there. You could only reach it by private boat.

chucktown5
11-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I know what you mean.. It's very unfortunate that battle fields/forts are not preserved like they should be. You can't really tell from my blog, but Battery #5 had clearly been vandalized. The flags torn down, the plack had been removed.. Pretty sad. And the Battle of Sol-Legare battlefield (the first time the 54 saw action from the movie Glory) is now a Piggly Wiggly.

Che
11-17-2007, 12:53 AM
I thought the reason Castle Pinkney was allowed to fall into ruin is because the island is some sort of wildlife refuge for snail darters or spotted owls or bowhead whales or something like that. Touch one brick there and PFFFFT! An entire species dies off!

And the Battle of Sol-Legare battlefield (the first time the 54 saw action from the movie Glory) is now a Piggly Wiggly. Such a twist of fate! Where the 54th Mass first fought can now be found a commercial enterprise that should constantly reminds us why white people should never again be allowed to choose the name of a grocery store chain.

sbl
11-24-2007, 01:43 PM
"Touch one brick there and PFFFFT! An entire species dies off!"

Ernesto,

I think it's the Long-billed Curlew.

Here's a quote on Castle Pinckney from wikipedia ...

"A local Sons of Confederate Veterans fraternal post took over management and care of the island in the late 1960s and attempted to preserve it and establish a museum. Eventually, unable to raise the needed funds, the SCV allowed the fort to revert to state ownership. Castle Pinckney has recently undergone some limited restoration efforts. Due its location on an isolated shoal in the middle of the harbor, access is limited, if not nonexistent, and maintenance near impossible. It is gradually being reclaimed by nature"