PDA

View Full Version : Halloween, that time of year...

Cannoneer
10-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Just wondering how many have dug out their uniform for today.

As I sit here in mine (at work), I see that there a few people that still dress for the day. Though I am the only one dressed in Civil War clothing. Most of us have kids, so we are reminded that today is Halloween.

Pete K
10-31-2007, 08:54 AM
My son is wearing my private's uniform tonight (sans musket) for trick or treat. He is 12 years old and fits it well. This is the scary part!

M.Metz
10-31-2007, 09:07 AM
I was going to wear mine to class until I realized I had a meeting with my boss, and I wanted to look more professional. Plus I had to go to the bank and right now tensions are tight in our college town about safety. I didn't want to be arrested for sporting a Confederate uniform.

MtVernon
10-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Something about it seems too easy. Plus, who wants to outshine everyone else's costumes? We have multiple years to hone our impression, whereas they probably got there's together sometime after last Friday. It's like shooting fish in a barrel!

CandaceRose
10-31-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm wearing my bathing costume at work as we speak. We have a "Biggest Loser" challenge in progress and I told the folks yesterday I would be an inspiration by wearing my bathing suit to work today. Imagine their surpise when I've told them it's an 1860s bathing suit!!!

sbl
10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
My Rev-War stuff doubles as "pyrate" garb. Friends borrow my wife's 18th century stuff to be wenches.

I was hoping my wife would wear her 1860s underwear to be "Queen Victoria's Secret" but she's no fun. :)

Robert A Mosher
10-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Every time I am tempted to use my Union uniform for Halloween or some dress-up, I just remember the number of times I have been complimented on my "costume" - and the temptation is quickly beaten to death as I struggle to unclench my teeth.

Robert A. Mosher

RWelker
10-31-2007, 11:21 AM
My dad wore his uniform to take my brother and I trick-or-treating every halloween of our childhood.

TexConfederate
10-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Every time I am tempted to use my Union uniform for Halloween or some dress-up, I just remember the number of times I have been complimented on my "costume" - and the temptation is quickly beaten to death as I struggle to unclench my teeth.

Robert A. Mosher

Yea...That's like telling someone their Mercedes is a Ford...:)

redleggeddevil
10-31-2007, 12:38 PM
I won't be wearing any of my gear tonight, but my anatomical skeleton will. I bought him for Halloween the first year I was married, and my wife decided that he would make the perfect display model for some of my reenacting uniforms.

He is currently wearing a mid/late war Trans-Mississippi Confederate uniform. I spent the last year collecting all the pieces, scrimping and saving to buy each item. Then, a week before the event, my boss told me he was rescinding my vacation.

I never got to wear the uniform, so my skeleton will greet our trick-of-treaters this evening done up in Columbus Depot jacket and slouch hat. At least I'll get SOME use out of it!

Happy Hauntings.

DColeman
10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
My Civ outfit can be slightly incorperated with parts of my Renn Faire garb which makes a good Look for a Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. My kids love it anyway.:D

Sarah Jane Meister
10-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I was hoping my wife would wear her 1860s underwear to be "Queen Victoria's Secret" but she's no fun. :)

Hey, that's a great idea. . .seriously. . .but my husband would NEVER let me out in this town where I'd probably be spotted by elderly and conservative fellow church members. He struggled enough with my wearing corset/chemise/petticoats to tear down in after events. :)

Last year, even though he was 22, he dressed up in his federal uniform and went trick or treating. This year I'm not sure if we're going since he has to work late.

Sarah

first_sgt_8thky
10-31-2007, 02:06 PM
To each their own of course. I wouldn't do it. To me it would be disrespectful to use it as a Halloween costume. I know it's not a real uniform, but I still feel that way. I don't like being at an event and hear, "Nice costume." It makes my skin crawl. Anyway, Happy Halloween, everyone!

CandaceRose
10-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Shannon-
I had that very thing happen to me last weekend!! We were at a LH at Stones River NMP and a gal complimented me on my "costume." It made me nearly fly into the trees! Of course, I just smiled and said "thank you."

I kinda felt like I had my own mini-LH today just explaining to folks about 1860s swimming outings and such. Folks really seemed to enjoy the impromptu history lesson.

DColeman
10-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Actually that would make for an intersting conversation where I live. I live off the edge of the Balls Bluff Battlefield and very close to Edwards Ferry. I know Troops camped in my yard. I could just tell folks I am a little lost and can't find my unit.:cool:

Rob Weaver
10-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Biggest problem with wearing my stuff as any type of costume - smells too bad to be in any overheated room with normal non-reenacting type people.

Ocaliman
11-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I won't be wearing any of my gear tonight, but my anatomical skeleton will. I bought him for Halloween the first year I was married, and my wife decided that he would make the perfect display model for some of my reenacting uniforms.

He is currently wearing a mid/late war Trans-Mississippi Confederate uniform. I spent the last year collecting all the pieces, scrimping and saving to buy each item. Then, a week before the event, my boss told me he was rescinding my vacation.

I never got to wear the uniform, so my skeleton will greet our trick-of-treaters this evening done up in Columbus Depot jacket and slouch hat. At least I'll get SOME use out of it!

Happy Hauntings.

If my boss recinded my vacation like that, he would be an anatomical skeleton when I was finished with him.. :rolleyes:

ginny74
11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I wore one of my dresses and I got complimented on my costume many a time. It seems strange for people to call it a costume, because to me it's just a regular outfit, but you have to remember that it is simply a costume to the non reenacting type, so just bite the bullet and say thanks.

Lottie

P.S- the Queen Victoria's secret is a really cute idea:p

Rob Weaver
11-02-2007, 08:07 AM
So when you wear your stuff as a costume, how authentic do you go? Wear a T-shirt under your frock and call it even since no one can see it? :)

Pete K
11-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Since my sons went to the homes of folks I work with and know personally on trick or treat night, they were highly commended for their "costumes". They were Billy Yank and Johnny Reb. I really don't enjoy the idea of ghouls and goblins for the event so when my sons asked for different oufits they tend to select the historic over the gory. They are outgrowing the age for halloween so they wanted to out with a bang, so to say. In the past they have been B.Frankiln, Albert Einstein, Apollo Astronauts, and when little boys, correct looking animals. Wearing the wool made them the warmest kids out that night and did not have to hide the "costumes" under a coat as many children did. they did not wear the uniforms to be disrespectful or silly, their intent was to depict the past in a dignified manner and also have fun with their Junior High friends (ages 12 and 13). Plus a haversack makes a great candy sack!