PDA

View Full Version : Glory Road & the Modern Implications of the Confederate

tompritchett
02-12-2006, 11:06 AM
This is repeat of a theme that I posted on the forum before the crash.

I would recommend that every Confederate reenactor from the South under the age of 50 and every Confederate reenactor raised above the Mason-Dixon line see this movie. One of the themes of the movie is the antagonism and pure hatred these black student-athletes encountered because they were crossing the "color line" in college basketball. In one scene the movie shows the gauntlet of hatred they had to go through just to get onto the floor for the game. And guess what the fans were using as a rallying flag for this hatred and opposition to the Black players. Yes, it was the Confederate naval flag.

I was growing up in the South during this period, and, in fact, I listened to that very NCAA finals game as Texas Western beat our beloved Kats - Rupp's Runts. Throughout this era and well into the successful integration of SEC college basketball, I can very much remember comments from my upper middle class parents about teams playing "too many d*mn n***s" and about blacks "forgetting their place" in Southern society, all the while my parents and their country club crowd were also condemning the violence and overt hatred of groups such as the KKK, were calling the rioters at forced integrations such Little Rock, Ar and Univ. of Mississippi red-necks, and were deploring the brutality of various Southern policemen when they savagely beating civil rights marchers (but also implying that the marchers were partially responsible for the violence against them because they "rocking the boat"). I can also remember my father, a staunch Southern Democrat or "Dixiecrat" for all of his adult life, breaking his party loyalty by deciding to vote for Nixon over Humphrey primarily because he tired of the "Northern" faction of the Democrat party cramming civil right reforms too fast down the Southern society's throat. And as I was growing up we did not consider ourselves Racists. Racists were those red-necks burning churches, lynching people, and severely beating helpless protestors.

Yes, I displayed the Confederate flag in my youth and I was growing up into young adulthood. I displayed it as a symbol of my pride of being a Southerner. But looking back on it, I know the pride was also tied to a sense of protest against the pace of civil rights reform that was being imposed on us from the North and Midwest. It was not until I moved up North that I truly realized just how much the flag had become a symbol of racial hatred and Southern back-lash against the civil rights reforms. One of my Northern neighbors happened to see the Confederate flag as my front license plate and commented that I "must hate n***s", too". Now because of this, and upon reflections upon my youth such as above, I will only display the flag in its proper historical settings even though my wife and I own a modern one for the house.

So I recommend that every Southern reenactor who gets a heartburn when people condemn the flag go see this movie - just to start to understand what the modern history of our flag can actually mean to some people. You might also want to then go to the library and look for a book titled "Black Like Me" to read how a white author deliberately exposed himself to the Jim Crow laws of the 50's by masquerading as a black traveling through the deep South. This is what my generation and the generations of my older siblings and parents turned our flag into a symbol of.