PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done anything like this before?

Flagbearer
10-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, in this small town of Flagstaff AZ where I live, if you are carpooling out of town with someone, the typical meeting place is Wal-Mart. Not being able to drive solo yet (parental rule), and my dad doing a shift at the fire station that day, I had to hitch a ride with another member of the unit. So, 8 o'clock the day of the event found me sitting on a rock outside Wal-Mart in full confederate battle garb, with a fully functional Springfield slung over my shoulder, reading "The Social Contract". Um...ok. Luckily, my ride got there after I had sat there about 5 minutes, so if anyone called the police on me, I was long gone. But I did get an awful lot of weird looks. Have any of you done anything like that?

reb4lee
10-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, in this small town of Flagstaff AZ where I live, if you are carpooling out of town with someone, the typical meeting place is Wal-Mart. Not being able to drive solo yet (parental rule), and my dad doing a shift at the fire station that day, I had to hitch a ride with another member of the unit. So, 8 o'clock the day of the event found me sitting on a rock outside Wal-Mart in full confederate battle garb, with a fully functional Springfield slung over my shoulder, reading "The Social Contract". Um...ok. Luckily, my ride got there after I had sat there about 5 minutes, so if anyone called the police on me, I was long gone. But I did get an awful lot of weird looks. Have any of you done anything like that?

About 6 months ago after an event we stopped at a dunkin donuts to get something to eat. Well,my pard and I are still dressed up in full kit(confederate) with blanket roll and everything, We got some weird stares as my friend and I walked in. I doubt it will be the last time I get some weird stares from people.:D

Suppelsa
10-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Why in the name of god do you wear your kit(especially bedrolls) to and from events?
Chris Suppelsa

chatrbug
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
nothing like watching my family parade through a grocery store...or one day we went to some sell everything store. some kids started calling me a nun lol... not even close!

federal musician
10-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Why in the name of god do you wear your kit(especially bedrolls) to and from events?
Chris Suppelsa

I wear my kit because I am prould of it. It can give me a change to talk to someone and expand their knowledge of the Civil War and its' soldiers and musicians.

Frank Long
Brigade Brass Band

reb4lee
10-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I wear my kit because I am prould of it. It can give me a change to talk to someone and expand their knowledge of the Civil War and its' soldiers and musicians.

Frank Long
Brigade Brass Band

Same here.

Parault
10-29-2007, 04:23 PM
I find it quite amusing to place my clothing on prior to an event and drive to the event in my uniform. I get all kinds of strange looks. I especially enjoy going to eat at a town that is far away from an event,if it is one close to an event they are used to seeing "weird dressed people."
If someone asks me anything pertaining to my clothes,I tell them I am an Amish railroad worker,that usually gets them to really thinking. They will usually give me that strange look and say "ok" then walk away.

Flagbearer
10-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Frank Long
Brigade Brass Band

lol, I agree. Not to mention it's a lot of fun just to wear it.

Rob Weaver
10-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I usually wear my uniform to and from an event - it means I don't have to pack another set of clothes. If several of us are carpooling, and each of us just carry period gear, it saves a lot of space in a cramped car. I learned a while ago that when you change after an event into modern clothing and stop for gas or McD's, you still smell bad, need a shower and a shave - only now you look like a street person and people give you weird looks. When you're still in a 4-button and hat, people know you've been reenacting and they'll talk with you. I also sling my gear when I walk into an event. If it's got straps on in, the easiest way to carry it is on your person.
I have learned always to put on my coat and hat when I go into a public place, though. I got tired of people trying to take pictures of the "Amish." :)

PS: Almost got killed on the highway outside Flagstaff once. Black ice on the road...

flattop32355
10-29-2007, 08:28 PM
On the way to an event only a few hours away from home, a group of us stopped at a fast food restaurant before checking in at the event; full uniform without traps and weapons.

A small boy, probably four or five years old, was giving us the bug-eyed look of amazement. I got up, walked over and asked if he could take care of my forage cap for me until I finished eating. I stuck it on his head and went back to my table. The boy was in hog heaven and the parents were smiling and talking to him about the hat. After finishing, I retrieved the hat and thanked him for minding it for me while I ate.

Somewhere out there is a little boy for whom I made his day. What greater gift could I have given myself?

Rob: Don't forget to remove your hat when you go inside; gotta mind your period manners!

Flagbearer
10-29-2007, 09:02 PM
lol, ya, gotta love that black ice ;-) It's amazing what a hit you can be just talking to the kids while wearing the uniform. And if you show them the gun and let them wear the hat, or even give them a hunk of hardtack. It totally makes their day.

M.Metz
10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
gotta mind your period manners!

Every one should mind thier manners period.

That should be a given even in current period dress. I take off my head covering when Im in any resturant fast food or rich and fancy. Heck I even take it off in class. I find that it is still rude to wear a hat in front of a professor. Sorry for the rant its a pet peeve of mine

Reliccrazy
10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I can top all of you, try dressing up in full Civil war kit while taking a tour of the huge and grand Palace of Versailles in France! Wow that was really funny, lots of photos were taken of that! BTW there was a wild west/Civil war event 1/4 mile away from the Palace, so we thought we would go there, in our uniforms!

Rob Weaver
10-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Given that the US uniforms were French inspired, they probably wouldn't look too out of place in Versailles - especially an officer's uniform with the sash.

rick35ovi
10-31-2007, 12:17 PM
We went to local watering hole after an event on saturday night and the place was packed with people wanting to know what we were up to, One kid with his buddy comes up and asked if we were Amish and i said **** yes, we are militant amish!! he turns to his buddy and says did you here that, there MILITANTS!!! Needless to say we still laugh about that one!!

sbl
10-31-2007, 02:15 PM
militant amish.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/19/AmishRakeFightlogo.jpg/150px-AmishRakeFightlogo.jpg

Suppelsa
10-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Just say that you are time travelers that got off at the wrong stop.

I've just never understood the logic behind wearing your gear to and from events. Personally, I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable driving in modern stuff.

Chris Suppelsa

flattop32355
10-31-2007, 04:27 PM
I've just never understood the logic behind wearing your gear to and from events. Personally, I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable driving in modern stuff.

Over a longer haul, I agree with you, but for short trips (1-3 hours), it's just easier to throw on the uniform and get there ready to go.

I do put on a pair of tennis shoes, though: Driving in period shoes is quite uncomfortable for these older feet.

Poor Private
10-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Have you heard this one (it may be an urban legend). A guy checks into a hotel wearing his civ uniform and the desk clerk gives him a military discount on his stay.

CheeseBoxRaft
10-31-2007, 07:39 PM
One while wearing a CW sailor's uniform in a store in Hampton I had someone come up and ask me if a visiting European ship was in town. :)

silentbreeze
10-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Last time I checked, You are allowed "open carry" of firemans in the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania. BUt have to have a permit for concealed carry. There is nothing out of place as driving through Gettysburg and seeing some youngsters and/or some adults carrying rifles.In Civ garb of course. You go to almost any town outside , and they got the police after you thinking you're some kind of mad man. Hasn't happened to me. Nor have tried it. But I can just imagine if I did. Certainly would be within your legal rights.

cannnfodder
11-01-2007, 04:47 AM
Along the same lines- It's fun to do the battlefields in full uniform. You'll get the standard "are you a ghost?" reply but it's a great conversation starter. I just did Gettysburg for 2 days on the way to Cedar Creek and I thought it would be fitting to visit the monuments in full gear. Suprisingly, I was the only one I saw in uniform. I figured there'd be a ton of people in uniform. The kids liked it and the old timers really opened up with their stories. I highly recommend it!

Rob Weaver
11-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Mid-October is after the end of the tourist season in Gettysburg. You rarely see reenactors in uniform until Remembrance Day. I was born, raised, learned to hunt and live in Pennsylvania. You may carry a firearm in public here, in a gun rack in your truck, on the backseat, etc. They are, however, to be unloaded for transportation. Unloaded for a modern firearm means that the bolt is open, the action cycled, the breech open, etc, so that the firearm can readily be seen to be empty. I know during hunting seasons, uncapped or an empty priming pan constitutes "empty" for muzzleloading purposes. Laws for handguns are different, and understandably more restrictive, even in this great Commonwealth.