PDA

View Full Version : Authentic revolver percussion cap?

Richard Schimenti
05-04-2006, 07:53 AM
In a purchase of several authentic bullets, both round ball and Minie' there were about a half a dozen percussion caps.
these caps are considerably darker copper than what you see today and the inside has a red tinge on the bottom of the cap with a white circle in the middle.
I was wondering if these may be genuine period caps. At the time of purchase, there were no claims made as tho the authenticity, they were just included. Rich Schimenti richardscimenti2301@msn.com

ley74
05-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Check out the book "Round Ball to Rim Fire". They were so plentiful before and after the war that, unless they are connected in a paper roll, they are probably period or near it, one way or the other.

ley74
05-04-2006, 09:49 PM
BTW, most pistol percussion caps do not have "wings". Never say never.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
05-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Hallo!

May be...
Generally, the gauge of copper, nature of the "explosive" fulminate dot, and sometimes may be the ribbing can be a general clue...
The problem in IDing, IMHO, can lie in the not only the large numbers of pistol caps made before, during, and after the War, but also in how long the same type of cap was used for percussion muzzleloading rifles AFTER the War.
Not to mention the widespread "modern revival" of reenacting arms.
I have a tin of copper musket caps from the Civil War Bicentennial.

I also have some well preserved, "dug" pistol caps that do not visually appear any different from the "German" caps sitting on my shelf since the 1980's.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt