PDA

View Full Version : KKK Post

madisontigers
05-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Folks,
I usually keep my mouth, or rather keyboard, closed on these issues. However, I want to express my concern that we keep radical hate groups out of our hobby. There is no quicker way to have events cancelled, sponsorships revoked, and reenacting banned, than having ignorant extremist type groups infiltrate our hobby. Sir, there is no room for KKK in this hobby, and I will stad up like a real man and tell you that without wearing a hood to protect my identity.Fromt he sounds of it, and I am only assuming, you sound like a typical KKK member.
Second, where in the heck did you come up with Robert E. Lee being a silent member of the Klan? For god sakes, get that crap out of here. I am a proud southerner, and am proud of my ancestors who fought for the state of North Carolina. I wont stand by and be silent when people support groups that disgrace my heritage, a historical flag, and southern culture in general.
My other issue is why is a KKK reproduction flag question even being asked on A CW discussion forum? And to answer your question. No you wont find any reputable flag maker who would make one. The only way I see one of being of any relevance would be as a movie prop, weird living history group depicting the post-war Klan, or somethign else that I cant think of right now.

David Long

bob 125th nysvi
05-12-2006, 10:04 PM
been busy lately but just what are you ranting about?

A deleted post? Something you saw at an event? Something you read somewhere?

What?

Without context you posting isn't making any sense to me.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

bob 125th nysvi
05-12-2006, 10:13 PM
found the thread you were upset about.

Can't be much of a CW buff if he doesn't realize that the CSA Regimental Falgs and any rag the KKK flew would be mutually exclusive since the KKK wasn't established until after the War.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

VaTrooper
05-12-2006, 10:37 PM
I dont support what the KKK did at all but the word "rag" is a little harsh.

MStuart
05-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Those idiots have sullied and almost single-handidly given the CS battle flag the reputation it has in our country today. Debate all we want about what it means to a reenactor, they and a few others have done the damage. Anything flown in the name of those groups is a "rag". It doesn't mean to them what it should mean to us.

Mark

TimKindred
05-14-2006, 06:13 PM
I dont support what the KKK did at all but the word "rag" is a little harsh.

Comrade,

It might seem that way, but there is historical precedence for it. Moses Lakeman, Colonel of the 3rd Maine Infantry, retrurned the remnants of the 3rd National Colors to the Governor of maine in early 1862, becuase they were too tattered to be flown properly. He simply requested and received a new National Color to replace it.

In his letter accompanying the flag, which may be found in the 3rd Maine's regimental correspondence box in the Maine State Archives, he writes to the effect that "the boys thought you would like to have the old rag..."

He was not in any way demeaining the flag, just referring to it's condition, etc.

Trusting this is of some small use, I remain,

Respectfully,

VaTrooper
05-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Point well taken but it's obvious they were not talking of the flags condition.

tompritchett
05-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Just the "condition" of its reputation. And not all that damage was done by the KKK. Many non-KKK Souhterners of my older brothers' and my parents' generation must also take the blame for the current, dishonorable connotation the flag carries because of its use in the 50's, 60's and 70's as a symbol of opposition to almost all the Civil Rights reforms.

bob 125th nysvi
05-16-2006, 07:25 PM
is until recently the southern battle flag was flown by all proponents of racial inequality as a symbol of their beliefs. And again unfortunately many of the leaders of the KKK were also leaders of the Confederacy.

Now that doesn't mean I believe anybody was a KKK member or a white supremacist but they didn't beleive all people were entitled to equal rights.

We still suffer the effects of those beliefs today.

The only way southern reenactors are ever going to get away from the image of racisim is to get out in front of the debate instead of reacting.

This means getting into the schools and papers and civic groups and saying "Look we know some bad ideas were fought for under this flag. Quite honestly the Stars and Stripes hasn't always beem flown over the most honorable causes but that doesn't mean that overall it doesn't mean something good. What we are honoring is their willingness to fight and die for what they believed were their rights as an American citizen. To defend their homes against what they saw as an oppressive government trying to take away those rights. Exactly what the signers of the Declaration of Independence fought for."

Then you have a convesation about how America can be more inclusive.

To stubbornly fly the flag and not explain why only makes you look bad.

Of course the discussion is not about facts its about people's feelings and the misconceptions they are taught.

And this board is not the appropriate place to get into the facts.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY