PDA

View Full Version : Glendale/Fraysier's Farm

uozumi
10-23-2007, 06:09 PM
The CWPT is trying to buy something like 319 acres of battlefield. They said that the land was within the National Park boundary and therefore they would not receive a matching grant from the government. Has anyone seen this land that they are attempting to buy? I am curious as to specifically where it is and why it is still considered part of the National Park if it is privately owned. I still put my money in but I'd like to know more about this land.

~Steph F.

dustyswb
10-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Stephen,

Hopefully Eric will be along in awhile to give specifics but at some point in history, when the parks were developed, land that was outside of the first parcels purchased by the NPS was considered within the park's future scope. This land at Glendale is such a property.

Like I said, Eric can clear this up if he is around.

Dignann
10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Steph,

Dusty is correct. Many parks have two boundaries. The first is what they actually own. The second is referred to as the legislative or authorized boundary. Congress authorizes, through legislation, the expansion of a park. The legislation references maps, which depict specific tracts of land that the park may acquire. Legislation and allocation of funds, however, are two different things. Just because a park is authorized to pursue the purchase of additional land, it does not mean there is money to do so. Thus, most parks have privately owned land within their legislative boundary. If money becomes available, parks can try to work out a deal with landowners within that boundary, but there is no obligation for that owner to sell to the NPS. So, just because land is within a park's legislative boundary, it does not mean it is protected.

Richmond NBP had a boundary expansion within the last ten years. They do not, however, have any money to buy land. That is the reason CWPT is stepping in to help the NPS out. Eventually, when and if funds become available, the NPS will buy the land from the CWPT.

I have not seen any maps depicting the land the CWPT is pursuing, so I'm not sure where it is.

I hope this helps.

Eric

dustyswb
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Eric et al,

The new land is located between the two parcels CWPT already owns, connecting the two groups to save a large portion of the battlefield. Look for details of an event there next April to help raise money and awareness for the battlefield.

Here is the map from CWPT

http://www.civilwar.org/appeals/2007/Glendale/2007%20Glendale%20Appeal%20Map.pdf

As you can see, this would be a great acquisition. Help if you can.