PDA

View Full Version : For your consideration . . .

NoahBriggs
10-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Here is a sample of my layout. My collection is rather big (more than one box, anyway). I selected that which seemed most representative.

Caveat: As I said before the surgical kit is 1877. Individual closeups are available upon request.

http://usera.imagecave.com/thesewingacademy/NoahBriggs/kituppertray.jpg

Upper tray of my kit. Amp. knives, the scalpels, tenacula, my nealton probe, silver catheter (female), a couple of bone elevators, a director, forceps and an aneurysm needle. Not everything is visible in the picture; at the time I had a couple items out to fill my doctor's bag.

http://usera.imagecave.com/thesewingacademy/NoahBriggs/Kitlowersection.jpg

The lower part of my kit; the "saw pit" if you will. medial amp. saw, rongeurs, bone file, two arterial clamps, Petit tournequit, trephine saw, tracaeotomy tube, bullet extractor forceps, spool of white thread, a regrettably modern pair of bandage scissors and two whazzits I cannot identify, and keep forgetting to post up here. I also have tucked in a corner the inevitable "before 'n' afters" of musket bullets.

There is a space for a large amp. saw, but mine did not come with one. Nope, an Archer repro won't fit; I tried using Nicky Hughes' when we hooked up at Second Manassas last year.

Pharmaceutical to follow.

NoahBriggs
10-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Pharmaceutical:
Rather than bombard you with zillions of pictures of bottles I laid out my Dover's Powders, laudanum and blue mass as representative examples. The bottles are about 7.5 inches tall and 1.75 inches in diameter. I got them for about $2.50 each at The Container Store. I think either the Reg'l QM or dixie Leathers sells them, but for $4.50 each. I made a set of standard, generic lables using Word tables. I kept them generic to fit in with any scenario.

http://usera.imagecave.com/thesewingacademy/NoahBriggs/Picture010.jpg

Below: My box. Generic box, I don't know if the handles on it are correct; I don't care. It's easier to lift. I found grey pasteboard at a scrapbooking store. I sweet talked the staff into giving me scraps for free. I cut the pasteboard up into the slots you see here, to keep my bottles from banging and breaking.

The bottles were labeled by number on the top of their corks, which corresponds to the list I created yet again on our good friend Word and shellacked to the inside of the lid.

http://usera.imagecave.com/thesewingacademy/NoahBriggs/Picture012.jpg

Below: the Blue Mass bottle. Sorry the image is so big. I guess that's a good example of scale! As usual, individual pictures available upon request.

http://usera.imagecave.com/thesewingacademy/NoahBriggs/pilaeHydrargri.jpg

I hope that gives you an idea of what I have and how I supplement what I don't have using improvisation. Again, let's have peer review, to make sure the new fellas don't feel under the microscope.

Jas. Cox
10-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Very nice, he said with envy.

I don't see the before and after round balls.

Perhaps you could isolate the two tools you cannot identify so others can have an easier crack at them.

What else was I going to ask or write? ****, it's **** growing old.

Anyway, thanks for sharing some of your loot.

"Doc" Nelson
10-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Noah . . that's why you're my hero :mrgreen:.

NoahBriggs
10-22-2007, 06:06 AM
As I said, individual pictures available upon request.

I think the bullets were added after I had taken the pictures. They were dug out from the earthen berm after a live-fire. I was going on my current contents, and the photos showed a different setup because some tools had been removed for my doctor's bag.

I have pictures of the two tools; just never got around to posting them - here or on my late blog. give me a couple of days and I'll toss them on the table to see what the brains here can come up with.

Jas. Cox
10-22-2007, 10:11 AM
As I said, individual pictures available upon request.

I think the bullets were added after I had taken the pictures. They were dug out from the earthen berm after a live-fire. I was going on my current contents, and the photos showed a different setup because some tools had been removed for my doctor's bag.

I have pictures of the two tools; just never got around to posting them - here or on my late blog. give me a couple of days and I'll toss them on the table to see what the brains here can come up with.

The other thing I was going to ask was how to post actual photos on a thread rather than just links. I did a search and looked at the FAQ's, but didn't see anything. Now I can sleep. If I wasn't at work.

I got my lead round balls (not a medical condition) the same way, but these were ones that I shot. My minie's were collected from battle fields (mostly drops) and purchased through Dixie Gun Works.

NoahBriggs
10-22-2007, 12:07 PM
You can go to www.Imagecave.com , register, set up your folder, and load pictures there. Each picture will have next to something to paste into your message for a webpage, a box like what we use to post messages., HTML and one other. Simply copy one of appropriate links and paste into your message, ad ta da, your picture is posted.

You'll have to shoot me your e-mail again. I misplaced it. I am at bluemasscat at gmail dot com.

terry sorchy
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Noah,
I need to talk to you about some events in 2008 and 2009 that we need your assistence and expertise at. Please email me at terry_sorchy@hotmail.com if interested for details.
You will be glad you did.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

funhistory
11-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Gents:

As a new kid in the neighborhood, I came to the Forum with the impression that those of you with more experience already had assembled complete kits and that I was far behind. However, as the new kid, I've come with a different set of toys. Are any of you still seeking instruments? I receive frequent offers from funeral homes to come and take anything that we can use at the Museum, and this includes very large boxes of original surgical instruments of all descriptions and historic periods (1870s - 1970s) that would be appropriate to funeral service and preparation of the body. We've managed to collect representative examples of all of the instruments that we need; so, we're careful about what we accept. In this case, I generally decline much to the owner's disappointment. At the risk of being innundated with requests, I'd be happy to keep your wants in mind if you'll let me know.

Right now, I have a half dozen or so grooved directors (identical to one in my Ed Archer capital amputation kit), nearly that many needle holders/small dressing forceps, an ivory handled bistouri, and hypodermic syringes (glass and metal bodies) in our surplus. All of these have been relegated to remote storage, and they could use a good cleaning with Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish to brighten them up.

Jas. Cox
11-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Gents:

As a new kid in the neighborhood, I came to the Forum with the impression that those of you with more experience already had assembled complete kits and that I was far behind. However, as the new kid, I've come with a different set of toys. Are any of you still seeking instruments? I receive frequent offers from funeral homes to come and take anything that we can use at the Museum, and this includes very large boxes of original surgical instruments of all descriptions and historic periods (1870s - 1970s) that would be appropriate to funeral service and preparation of the body. We've managed to collect representative examples of all of the instruments that we need; so, we're careful about what we accept. In this case, I generally decline much to the owner's disappointment. At the risk of being innundated with requests, I'd be happy to keep your wants in mind if you'll let me know.

Right now, I have a half dozen or so grooved directors (identical to one in my Ed Archer capital amputation kit), nearly that many needle holders/small dressing forceps, an ivory handled bistouri, and hypodermic syringes (glass and metal bodies) in our surplus. All of these have been relegated to remote storage, and they could use a good cleaning with Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish to brighten them up.

Um, yes please. Grooved director, needle holders, dressing forceps .... everything it seems. I have nothing very good yet. Still waiting on my order from Ed Archer, but should be here this week.

NoahBriggs
11-28-2007, 07:30 AM
I am interested in one of the syringes!

funhistory
11-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Jas. Cox,

Sent a PM. Noah, I'll e-mail you for details.

Parault
11-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Jon you know what I need." If you could hook me up." I would send you a Christmas & Birthday card every year.......well, in the begining I would.

Be in touch soon

funhistory
12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
P. L.,

Yes, I've already anticipated your needs. No cards are necessary.