PDA

View Full Version : Steward Strips

first_sgt_8thky
10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I have seen the green Union steward stripes and was wondering what the Confederates wore? Did they ever wear the Union stripes or anything else? Was this too early for the armbands with the red cross? Thanks.

"Doc" Nelson
10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Shannon,
I have read accounts of Confederate Stewards wearing black colored Orderly/1st Sergeant chevrons.

hta1970
10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
There is no mention of any enlisted medical insignia in the Regulations for the Army of the Confederate States 1863. Chisolm's manual 3rd Edition of 1864, pg 114, does mention the ambulance corps and states that "the members of this corps are designated by wearing around their caps a red band, with ambulance corps printed in conspicuous white letters." This matches very closely to an example found in "Echos of Glory" pg 127.

These men of the ambulance corps "selected from each regiment, two from every hundred men, are in the charge of a sergeant, who is frequently a medical man - the conscript law not exempting physicians under thirty five years of age from military service."

A hospital steward was not a member of the ambulance corps but would remain with the regimental surgeon at the field hospital, or be serving at a general hospital.

hta1970
10-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Noah,

That would not be in violation of the Confederate Regulations, 1863. Pg 406 para 1529. "The rank of non commissioned officers will be marked by chevrons on both sleeves of the uniform coat and the overcoat, above the elbow, of silk or worsted binding, half an inch wide; color the same as the edging of the coat; points down as follows:"

Since black was the branch color for the medical department that would make sense that they would be black. But I personnal have not read anything on the subject. I can only say I see nothing wrong with that in the regs.

NoahBriggs
10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Don't ask me. I never asked the question.

I am too confused.

"Doc" Nelson
10-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Don't ask me. I never asked the question.

I am too confused.
LOL . . me to? I guess I should change my name to Noah :rolleyes:. Oh well, I'm too tired to try and figure that one out :mrgreen:.

NoahBriggs
10-15-2007, 10:23 PM
By the way - what are "Steward strips?" Fresh steward along with your bacon? Yuck.

What a difference an "e" makes.

You should change your name to Noah, Jimmy; you are answering questions better than I.

Confederate insignia - it's my understanding it was black first sergeant's stripes. I have yet to see documentation of Confederate stewards wearing Federal half-chevrons. Then again, Confederate hospital staff is not a great area of knowledge for me. To quote Harry Aycock earlier, if there is documentation, I'd love to see it.

Micah Trent
10-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Noah-Jimmy...Jimmy-Noah...are we having some identity issues down here?
Come to think of it...I can see where they get you two confused so much?:confused:
Ah, never mind...continue on with the discussion!