PDA

View Full Version : Red and Rover cartoon

sbl
10-15-2007, 06:45 AM
http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/4/411/41145.gif

Spinster
10-15-2007, 09:13 AM
.....giggle....giggle.....snort......ladylike hiccup.

And folks thought the 100 Years War was a long one,

tompritchett
10-15-2007, 11:05 AM
There are some that legitimately argue that the real Reconstruction lasted well into the 1960's.

Frenchie
10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Reconstruction hasn't ended yet.

first_sgt_8thky
10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
At least the second one hasn't ended yet. I saw that joke somewhere after the hurricane. The guy was saying oh no, not another Republican reconstruction. Guess it's not that funny when you look at New Orleans now. How long ago was the hurricane? It's sad.

Poor Private
10-15-2007, 06:08 PM
What may really be sad is that alot of the children in school don't actually know this, due to teaching.

tompritchett
10-15-2007, 07:12 PM
What may really be sad is that alot of the children in school don't actually know this, due to teaching.

I was never taught about the Reconstruction in school. Had to really learn about it as an adult. I can't say about what they teach about the second one, but then I lived through the latter part of it.

Pete K
10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
In our High School we teach reconstruction as the first unit of the year in our ninth grade US History curriculum. We have a three year American studies program. Grade eight (my course) Survey US/PA History and Government. From 1750's to the end of the Civil War, (Grade Five Social Studeis covers the Colonial era.) Grade Nine continues where eighth grade leaves off until the end of WWII-1865-1945. Grade eleven covers America from Post -WWII to today and a semester of basic sociology. We also offer A.P. US History in High School and Honors courses in American History, World Cultures, and Economics. It's not all doom and gloom in the Public Schools. At least not in little Freedom, PA.

RWelker
10-17-2007, 11:57 AM

It isn't my classmates' fault that they know nothing about the Civil War (they are Latvian and they learn more British english and history than American) But it is quite the challange to start from the beginning and explain it to them!
"Well, in the 1860's the Southern states decided to leave America and form a new country. Of course that started a war..." *blank looks, the sound of crickets chirping*

sbl
10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Guys....it's just a funny cartoon! :)

Oh yeah, my kids know the answer.

Army30th
10-18-2007, 07:19 PM
....or sad, actually, is the large numbers of kids who do NOT know the answer and adults too.

I took a lot of history courses in school, including AP US History and Accelerated World History. In US History, we learned that the south was "the bad guys" and the north was the "land o' milk 'n' honey".....

My daughter gets mad when I tell her that what she learns in school, isn't the whole story.

sbl
10-18-2007, 07:59 PM
"In US History, we learned that the south was "the bad guys" and the north was the "land o' milk 'n' honey"....."

Will,

When was that? I went to grade and high school school in Rockport and Gloucester, Mass, "Nawth" o' Boston, in the 50s and 60s and we never got that nonsense.

Army30th
10-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Being born in the South, and going to school there, you kind of learn that the south was wrong on just about everything...at least it's perceived that way...

or maybe I'm just too cynical.

sbl
10-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Will,

But now you guys run the country. ;) I'm on a second job that getting packed up to move South. I guess your Asian and Hispanic folks can make medical products cheaper than our Asian and Hispanic folks. ;)

Malingerer
10-19-2007, 10:06 PM
....or sad, actually, is the large numbers of kids who do NOT know the answer and adults too.

I took a lot of history courses in school, including AP US History and Accelerated World History. In US History, we learned that the south was "the bad guys" and the north was the "land o' milk 'n' honey".....

My daughter gets mad when I tell her that what she learns in school, isn't the whole story.
Will, I was born and raised in Mississippi during the 60's and 70's and I don't remember a teacher or anybody else even hinting at the notion that the South might have been in the wrong. Quite the contrary in fact - we were fed that moonlight and magnolias nonsense of gallant white guys riding forth to stop the hordes of forign hirelings and negroes bent on pillage and rapine - sort of a last bastion of civilization kind of thing. That was what was politically corrrect when I was a kid.