PDA

View Full Version : New feature?

VaTrooper
10-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Did I miss what the new little boxes are about where the posters location, post count, etc? I see gray and green ones with different messages.

Frenchie
10-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I'd bet it has something to do with the poll the Provost put up about a thread rating system. He's probably figuring out his way around it even as I write this.

Mine says "Frenchie is on a distinguished road." I wonder if it's paved with good intentions? :D

tompritchett
10-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I'd bet it has something to do with the poll the Provost put up about a thread rating system. He's probably figuring out his way around it even as I write this.

Or more precisely, the idea of rating of vendors/sellers based upon buyers' experiences.

Mine says "Frenchie is on a distinguished road." I wonder if it's paved with good intentions?

Don't feel bad, I am "an unknown quantity at this point"

captdougofky
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm off the bottom of the scale, I know that makes me feel good. Elitism showing up again?

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery CS
Kentucky

captdougofky
10-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Having looked at a lot of different names etc. If you are more CPH your rating appears DISTINGUISHED ROAD if mainstream we are the bottom feeders? Hope I'm wrong. Mods--- please explain rating system or is this a only right to know or as need to know basis?

Always
Doug Thomas

tompritchett
10-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Having looked at a lot of different names etc. If you are more CPH your rating appears DISTINGUISHED ROAD if mainstream we are the bottom feeders? Hope I'm wrong. Mods--- please explain rating system or is this a only right to know or as need to know basis?

Personally, I think that you are reading too much into this. The Provost apparently is trying out a new feature of the software for future use, probably elsewhere in the Classified Ads section.

hanktrent
10-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Oh for heaven's sake. Check out mine.

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

Justin Runyon
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Doug, Im certain that that is not the case as I just noticed Elizabeth Clark has the same rating as you. Liz likely deserves a higher rating that 90 percent of people on this forum, or ours.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, let the admins figure out the new feature (that can get wierd with forums) and dont get anything twisted up yet. :p

Frenchie
10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I enjoy taking non- or poorly-working things like old clock radios, computers, etc. apart to see if I can get them to work. For instance, a little Gingerbread Man from the Schreck movies that comes in a Happy Meal and was found out in the grass - I got it working, it says "Don't worry!" and "Not my gumdrop buttons!" Heh, it's cute. I'm also tweaking and modding a WWII naval surface warfare sim called Destroyer Commander. I have a flying version of the battleship Yamato zipping over the waves.

But anyway, sometimes I can fix it and sometimes the effort falls short of being a stunning success. The fun is in seeing how it's put together and "playing" with it. That's what I think the Great and Powerful Provost is doing, playing with the feature to find out how it works and what he can do with it. Sometimes weird and/or unexpected things happen and that is what we're seeing, I think... the comments were put there by the programmer geeks as a filler or placeholder for the text that the forum's admin can leave as is or change to suit himself. I'll be interested to see how he might decide to use it.

MStuart
10-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Always
Doug Thomas

I know how you feel. I get no respect, either.

The other day I was at the dentist. I told him my teeth were turning yellow and asked "what should I do?"

He said "wear a brown necktie"

Mark

Micah Trent
10-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Oh for heaven's sake. Check out mine.

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

Hank,

I didn't know you were a bottom feeder!;)

Dave Myrick
10-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Oh its just another method of delineating who is us and who is them.

Ya got to love it when s_ _t is done without explaination.
Dave

Frenchie
10-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Ya gotta love it when people make it clear that it's all about them.

tompritchett
10-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh its just another method of delineating who is us and who is them.

I guess that I am neither yet. :)

flattop32355
10-13-2007, 12:56 AM
I know how you feel. I get no respect, either.
The other day I was at the dentist. I told him my teeth were turning yellow and asked "what should I do?"
He said "wear a brown necktie"

I suppose this is where I should go off on a rant, complaining about bad dentist jokes and not being respected like certain others on the forum and declaring that the mods are out to get me and those like me and stating that this forum is a pile of crap but still hanging around and posting....

....but I won't. ;)

Rob
10-13-2007, 01:45 AM
Unknown quantity, indeed.

My wife says the same thing, after twenty-nine years of marriage.

yankeecav
10-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Well if they list Micah as being on a distinguished road then you know the system is flawed. [insert humor here]

Provost
10-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Yep. I'm trying to tinker with it to see if I can get it to turn on in only one or two forums so we can get some idea of who's regarded well and who isn't. So far I haven't been able to manage that, but I've still got leads to follow up.

Provost
trying to be responsive to user feedback while not backing off "buyer beware"

Provost
10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
In the interests of moderate disclosure, this is the current list of "reputation rankings," subject to change at any time. A user's ranking means nothing at this time since I think some came in at +10 and some joined when the forum was set to 0 (zero) as the initial rank. It's a work in progress. I think you can see a little scale in the menu bar above each message. You can click on that and offer your approval or disapproval of the message/poster reputation. Play around with it.

User is infamous around these parts
User can only hope to improve
User has a little shameless behaviour in the past

User is an unknown quantity at this point (this is the "zero" level)

User is on a distinguished road
User will become famous soon enough
User has a spectacular aura about
User is a jewel in the rough
User is just really nice
User is a glorious beacon of light
User is a name known to all
User is a splendid one to behold
User has much to be proud of
User has a brilliant future
User has a reputation beyond repute

Spinster
10-13-2007, 10:25 AM
:D Well dadgum Mr. Provost!

You left off all us bottom feeders.

And I like catfish, yes I do.

Too pretty a day to play with the glowing box, getting my bonnet and going fishing......

Rob
10-13-2007, 01:42 PM
The A/C forum used to have "reputation points" for members, and they got rid of it (and none too soon, either).

A reader once asked how to properly apply a box plate to a cartridge box, and I directed him to a step-by-step tutorial found on the Jarnagin website. Almost immediately, some know-it-all holier-than-thou SOB gave me a negative for that, presumably because I committed the mortal sin of mentioning Jarnagin, regardless of the reason.

It's all so subjective... Why bother?

tompritchett
10-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Where it would come into play would be in the Classified sections where we have gotten numerous requests to be able to rank sellers based upon the various buyers' experiences with that seller. I believe that is the motivation for the Provost for exploring this feature. I know that I have personally received several PM requests for just such a system.

Mojo1842
10-13-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm on a distinguished road? What am I doing, filling the potholes? Cleaning up after the elephants in the parade? Ah well, at least I'm in showbiz....

Rob Weaver
10-13-2007, 09:57 PM
If you're filling in potholes, I think I'm standing in the sun holding the sign that says "Slow." Oh, well, maybe the pay's decent... ;)

captdougofky
10-14-2007, 07:56 PM
This forum is showing signs of being dishonest, Rating by who for what? From the bottom feeders to Distinguished. Who's playing god. Mods have their own rules and standards. They must have learned this from the A/C forum, Which I realize this is just a place for the CPH to war with Mainstreamers.

Always
Doug Thomas
Bottom Feeder/mainstream

tompritchett
10-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Doug, seriously you are being overly sensitive on this issue. The whole idea of a rating system is related to repeated requests that we have received for buyers providing feedback on their experiences with sellers in the classified sections. Nothing more.

As far as this forum being a place for CPH'ers to war on Mainstreamers, or vice versa, not on our watch. In fact, I belong to a Mainstream battalion in a Mainstream umbrella organization, the ANV. Yes, there sometimes are discussions about how the different halves differ in their approaches to the hobby, but we try to quickly stamp out the wars where people are outright attacking each other. You will also notice that we allow both sides to state their opinions and views as long as it is done in a respectful manner. Yes, sometimes there are borderline posts that skate on the edge of what can be considered "respectful", but you will again notice that they are on both sides of the issue. However, if anyone considers a post to be out of bounds, we encourage you to use the Alert function - something that the Provost and I have stressed many times. As I have previously stated, there are times that I have reversed my initial decision to allow a questionable post to stay because someone sent an Alert. It is a fine line that we walk here as moderators as we want to encourage the free discussions without being too over-bearing (contrary to the occasion opinion otherwise).

Dave Myrick
10-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Really Tom, to say that someone is being too sensative to being ranked or rated by an invisable person or persons and by an seemingly arbitratry and equally invisable scale shows a lack of understanding on your part.

If the ranking system is to rank individuals based on their selling practices, then why a ranking system for everyone? If someone hasnt sold anything then why a negative rating? Why all of the transparency. It has been posted what the catagories of ranking are but why not the requisits to qualify for them?

Doesnt make sense from where I sit and no I'm not making this about me either.

Dave Myrick

tompritchett
10-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Dave, as has been explained in earlier responses in this thread, the Provost is experimenting with the rating system to see if he can isolate the ratings to only specific conferences. As far as the current settings I am assuming, based upon the ones that I have checked, that they have been basically set randomly. As I understand it, the system as he is trying to set it up will adjust the individual rating of the initiator of a thread based upon the set of scales at the right-hand top of the message box. Again, as has been stated multiple times now, this is a work in progress and any current ratings under anyone's name is meaningless and definitely has absolutely nothing to do with CPH or Mainstream.

Memphis
10-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Consider using a software package designed for online transactions, such as iTrade.

Sgt_Pepper
10-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Consider using a software package designed for online transactions, such as iTrade.

To be paid for by whom?

tompritchett
10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Roger, thank you for your suggestion as it does have legitimate merit. However, SGT Pepper point about cost does have merit also. Remember, it costs money to run the server and to renew the license for the software that operates this forum. Bob may or may not be generating off-setting revenues from the advertisements on the home page of the forum, but I suspect that the potential revenues from those ads are much smaller than they could be because most readers here bypass that page when they come in here.

SmellyFed
10-15-2007, 12:12 PM
To be paid for by whom?

It's free - we're using it on the AC.

Frenchie
10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Tanstaafl.

TParker
10-15-2007, 07:56 PM
If you're filling in potholes, I think I'm standing in the sun holding the sign that says "Slow." Oh, well, maybe the pay's decent... ;)

Rob, you need a State job, LEANING on the shovel and watching the traffic go past......

TParker
10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Roger, thank you for your suggestion as it does have legitimate merit. However, SGT Pepper point about cost does have merit also. Remember, it costs money to run the server and to renew the license for the software that operates this forum. Bob may or may not be generating off-setting revenues from the advertisements on the home page of the forum, but I suspect that the potential revenues from those ads are much smaller than they could be because most readers here bypass that page when they come in here.

Tom,
Has the forum ever considered asking for voluntary contributions, via Paypal or otherwise, to offset the cost? I am sure that many of us would contribute to maintaining this forum, especially when we rely on it to get our "fix" in the off season! Several of the email lists and other forums do this and whatever it produces would be better than nothing.

killerreb
10-15-2007, 09:58 PM
personally being called a bottom feeder wont bother me, been called much worse in person...
steve hutton:D

Micah Trent
10-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Well if they list Micah as being on a distinguished road then you know the system is flawed. [insert humor here]

Mr. Lowe,

It's such an honor...No, it's an humbling experience to be on a distinguished road. :rolleyes: My college history professors would be so proud...Then come to think of it, they too would want to know where the flaw is.:)

tompritchett
10-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Has the forum ever considered asking for voluntary contributions, via Paypal or otherwise, to offset the cost? I am sure that many of us would contribute to maintaining this forum, especially when we rely on it to get our "fix" in the off season! Several of the email lists and other forums do this and whatever it produces would be better than nothing.

The Provost has mentioned it as a possibility.

Provost
10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Yep. :) I've just got to spend the time to figure out how to make it work and hook it up to a PayPal account that Bob can access.

We just shelled out a fair amount of cash for various expenses and it would be nice to get reimbursed at some point.

Provost

Provost
10-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Doug, you are seriously straining my credulity meter here. I don't know you, but this is real close to flame bait.

We stated what the purpose of the feature is about, what we intend to do with it and why it's showing up right now.

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47031#poststop

If you don't like it, ignore it. I guarantee that no one else is paying much attention to it. And if they are, they're not reading our messages about it either. Which might be a clue as to how much weight their opinion might carry.

Good grief.

Provost

Provost
10-16-2007, 04:36 PM
I'll look into it at my earliest opportunity. Thanks for the suggestion and the recommendation. That's what these forums are for! :)

Provost

Parault
10-16-2007, 07:21 PM
:D Hey guys I am just glad to be anywhere. Bottom feeder to distinguished roads and in between.

jda3rd
10-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Tempest in a teapot?