PDA

View Full Version : New Civil War Documentary Film - "Johnny"

hispro
10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to alert everyone to a new film/documentary that's premiering on November 10th in Newark, Ohio. It's called "Johnny" and it's about the story of Johnny Clem, the Drummer Boy of Chickamauga.

Their link to the website about the film is www.historicalproductionsinc.com. Newark is also having a reenactment, premiere dinner and military ball that weekend as well.

WoodenNutmeg
10-09-2007, 11:32 PM
It's definitely not a documentary.

Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

sbl
10-10-2007, 06:26 AM
"It's definitely not a documentary."

What's inside scoop?

hoosiersojer
10-10-2007, 07:39 AM
:confused:I'm curious...,why you would say it was definitely not a documentary?

jerryeberg
10-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Quote from their site:
"AN ALL NEW DOCUMENTARY FILM"

I just saw the trailer, I don't care if it's a documentary of not, I'M SEEING IT!
How can a kid that young become a seargent!?

sbl
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
"How can a kid that young become a seargent!?"

http://www.ohiocivilwar.com/gifs/clem.gif

He was pretty small..Kevin Corcorran played him in the 1960s

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/videos/drv000/v098/v09848fhphg.jpg

jthlmnn
10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
For the doubters, you can use a search engine and enter Johnny Clem. You'll get some variations in the stories, but they are consistent in the essentials.
I chose to post the link to Arlington National Cemetery because I thought it would have the highest credibility in this forum, and because it has a portrait photo of John Clem as an adult & officer in the U.S. Army.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jlclem.htm

sbl
10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
For a reenactor's historical prespective...I was invited over to watch the Disney version of Johnny Shiloh on the only color TV in my neighborhood sometime around 1961.

RWelker
10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
"It's definitely not a documentary."

What's inside scoop?

I know there to be plenty of inconsistancies attached to just about any story you can tell about John Clem, and in a favorite reference book of mine (Too Young to Die by Dennis Keesee) I found this rgarding John Clem's claim to the title of 'Drummer boy of Chickamauga'.

"General Clem's name does not appear on the list recommended by Rosecrans for Chickamauga honor, as published in the Official Records, nor does his name show in the Official Records at any time. The colonel, lieutenant colonel, State and regimental flags and most of the 22nd Michigan were captured at Chickamauga by Trigg's and Kelly's Brigades, of Preston's division and neither of the three last named officers mention any field officer being killed at this stage of the battle. (John Clem is supposed to have killed an officer.- my note) However, Colonel Kelly's horse was shot from under him about this time and Clem,who was undoubtedly a gallant little soldier, probably did it and thought he had done what was reported." - John Stiles, who had studied the Official Records

As to the 'Drummer Boy of Shiloh' claim, he wasn't. But as long as nobody starts in on Robert Hendershot, I'm okay. :rolleyes: