PDA

View Full Version : Units in Western MA

jeff
10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi folks-

I'm a rank noob looking to potentially join the hobby for the 2008 campaign season, and am looking for units based close to my home in Western Massachusetts (West Springfield, to be a little more exact.)

I've read up on some of the varying flavors, and think that when all is said and done, my own preference for authenticity would fall somewhere between hardcore and progressive; in that I'd strive for the greatest authenticity possible, but I recognize that it may take me a while to get there. That said, I have zero interest in Sutler's Row-level supplies.

Some other things I'd like to find in my ideal unit is that it would hit a mix of all the types of events, from battle recreations, living history demos, tacticals and educational stops at schools and the like. I have significant interest in all of them, for various reasons. I'd also like my ideal unit to have an openness to some level of family involvement (my 12 year old son is very interested in the hobby and the war; my wife is a history major with her PhD and 10 year old daughter has some interest as well).

I guess maybe that makes me a little needy.

That said, I'd be willing to consider either Federal or Confederate units equally- my interest is more in the gestalt portrayal of the war and the men who served in it, rather than any sectionality.

I've made first contact with a couple of units in my area (the 9th MA Light Artillery and the 10th MA Infantry) and will be checking them out in depth, but I want to see if I can't find out all my options before I make my final decision.

Can I beg for input from the crowd?

8th TexCav
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Jeff,

I sent a PM to you.

jeff
10-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Got it, Barry. Thanks much!

marcaverill
10-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Here's a chance for you to meet, talk to and check out several NE units this weekend:

Murdock Hill Farm
Winchendon, MA
October 6-7, 2007

Look under the "Civil War Events Schedule" tab for more information on the event on ths site:
http://www.12thgeorgia.org/

8th TexCav
10-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Let me know how it went.

Dunn Browne
10-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi Jeff,
You may want to check out the 14th Connecticut. We have a couple members in your area, and I believe we are just what you are looking for in a unit. Check out our web site www.14thconnecticut.org We will be in Willimantic, CT this weekend.

jeff
10-09-2007, 09:25 AM
We will be in Willimantic, CT this weekend.

Thanks, Frank.
I'm making plans to make the trek down this weekend with my family. I look forward to meeting with you folks! :)

8th TexCav
10-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Jeff,

PM Sent

John inNH
10-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Jeff,

I'm with the 9th Mass, and I can answer any questions about this great unit. First of all, you should decide what type of unit you want to be in, Artillery Infantry or Cavalry. I decided I liked Artillery because to me it was more interesting. I also like Cavalry, but horses don't seem to agree with me, so that was out!
Anyway, if you have any questions just ask.

John

cannnfodder
10-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Greetings Jeff-
I would highly recommend The www.22ndmass.org I have been a member for about 3 years and can't say enough good things about them! They let the hardcores be hardcores (picket post, anybody?) and are very family oriented. They are also one of the largest in New England with over 100 members. They also have ALOT of events. This weekend I"m going to Natick for a living history ( in honor of the founder Sen. Henry Wilson- we are being honored as well by the town) and next weekend I'll be with the Regiment in Cedar Creek, Va. They average about 8 parades, 12 events, and 8 living histories a year. They are also the best bunch of guys you'd ever want to meet and are deep into Civil War history and portraying the soldiers with honor. The 22nd Mass. was a hardcore fightin' unit with the 5th Corps that ranks in the top 20 on Fox's list of Regimental losses.
Enough said, join and find out for yourself!
Your humble obedient servant,
Pvt. Litchfield (cannnfodder)
22nd Mass.
"Death, or an honorable life"