PDA

View Full Version : ghost stories

rebkid
10-03-2007, 08:12 AM
just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is going to try to bag a buck this morning, he was telling me about someothers and himself being at mingus mill in nc earlier this year. he and 4 others showed up in all their gear to do a special tour for mingus mill, it is a old grinding mill or something in the smokey mountains of nc. anyway, he was standing out front of the mill and this lady walked up and requested a pic with jon and her sons. after the pic was taken, she commented about the "snobby" solder, who kept walking after she asked for a pic. well this upset my friend because he thought it was callous to do such a thing, so he asked her to describe this other gent so he may speak to him about it. he says his mouth dropped open when she mentioned he was wearing a red kepi, my friends group is infantry, nd they all wear the same kepi with a blue strip on the bottom! he remained calm long enough for her to make her way on, then he confronted all the other guys. none of them seen anyone in period dress besides the grist mill workers and themselves. obviously, some old artillary soldier thought the war was back on. as they were closing the mill, another reenactor was upstairs reading the little signs they have on the machinery, when he glanced out the window and seen the soldier himself. he yelled for jon and they all ran outside, but noone was there. pretty spooky to me, has anyone ever had anything happen to them along these lines??

k. lida

CheeseBoxRaft
10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I've been visiting Civil War sites for almost twenty years. I've slept overnight at many of them. I've never seen a ghost or an orb, felt a cold spot or a "presence", or seen a reenactor who might actually have been a real soldier come back to life. Yet, oddly enough, I keep hearing stories told by someone who heard it from so-and-so who was there... :shock:

Note to self: Maybe if I drink more at events I'll finally see one of these ghosts. :razz:

- John Steadman

sbl
10-03-2007, 04:51 PM
It must be time for all those Ghost Tours in Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry.

Rob Weaver
10-03-2007, 06:11 PM
I hate to be the one to say it, but if you run a search you'll probably find the thread where we discussed this a couple months ago. I've spent countless hours on the Gettysburg battlefield, and never seen or felt a thing. I am disinclined to believe in ghosts (except the Holy One) :D

sbl
10-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Rob,

It' "deja view all over again." I had folks telling me about the marching feet at the Sunken Road and the lost Texan at Plum Run 25 years ago. Oh yeah Gen'l Reynold's horse ghost too.

Did you ever hear about the Lady In Black at Ft. Warren in Boston Harbor?

Parault
10-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I have been to events where I thought they were ghastly. Does that count?

RWelker
10-04-2007, 01:50 PM
just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is going to try to bag a buck this morning, he was telling me about someothers and himself being at mingus mill in nc earlier this year. he and 4 others showed up in all their gear to do a special tour for mingus mill, it is a old grinding mill or something in the smokey mountains of nc. anyway, he was standing out front of the mill and this lady walked up and requested a pic with jon and her sons. after the pic was taken, she commented about the "snobby" solder, who kept walking after she asked for a pic. well this upset my friend because he thought it was callous to do such a thing, so he asked her to describe this other gent so he may speak to him about it. he says his mouth dropped open when she mentioned he was wearing a red kepi, my friends group is infantry, nd they all wear the same kepi with a blue strip on the bottom! he remained calm long enough for her to make her way on, then he confronted all the other guys. none of them seen anyone in period dress besides the grist mill workers and themselves. obviously, some old artillary soldier thought the war was back on. as they were closing the mill, another reenactor was upstairs reading the little signs they have on the machinery, when he glanced out the window and seen the soldier himself. he yelled for jon and they all ran outside, but noone was there. pretty spooky to me, has anyone ever had anything happen to them along these lines??

k. lida

I've taken some orb pictures- a whole lot of them in fact. At Gettysburg, because we were on the ghost tour. (Cliche alert!) But, strangely, also here in Europe... but only in pictures of one of my friends. With the language barrier (Latvian is a little tough) it took me a good half hour to figure out why we were taking all these pictures of Elina and then of other people standing in the same place she had been...

rebkid
10-04-2007, 02:13 PM
just found it to be a interesting subject. i havent ever seen any spooks on battlefields either, but i have seen some live folks who could pass for them!! just thought it was a interesting story, and i wanted to pass it on. jon is a competent person not fancy to telling tall tales. i was also wondering if anyone else had seen anything spooky. seems like a good time of year to hear ghost stories true or false.

"I hate to be the one to say it, but if you run a search you'll probably find the thread where we discussed this a couple months ago."~rob weaver

sorry, havent been on here that long, sorry if i ruffled some feathers with some. just found it to be a interesting story. i wasnt there so i dont know. glad i can sleep tight tonight without worrying about boogers haunting me or banshees screaming outside my window. geez guys, get in the halloween spirit!!

kris

reb64
10-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I've taken some orb pictures- a whole lot of them in fact. At Gettysburg, because we were on the ghost tour. (Cliche alert!) But, strangely, also here in Europe... but only in pictures of one of my friends. With the language barrier (Latvian is a little tough) it took me a good half hour to figure out why we were taking all these pictures of Elina and then of other people standing in the same place she had been...

nothing ghostly about orbs, nor are there any ghosts since every one dead is awaitng judgement day. I've been to the Lincoln house, memorial, Ft monroe etc and all say the have lincolns ghost. pretty good to have more ghosts than actual persons. no ghosts, or if there were why not at walmart? surely some stores are built on strange historic sites.

amontalvo915
10-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I have gotten a picture of something strange in Gettysburg on the Wheatfield. My husband (who does't know a who lot about the Civil War, he is a WWII kind of man) claims it looks like a soldier from the picture of the Irish Brigade I have. I also got a strange picture at Chancellorsville, up near an oven looking thing. When I say strange things in the photos, I mean a shadowy thing in the picture. I have heard countless things, such as a couple of reenactors were sitting down rolling cartridges. It was just them two near a wooded area, and a man walked up to them and handed them a couple packages of cartridges, and walked away without saying anything. They opened up one of them and realized there were actual minie balls in them, and they were perfectly reproduced. They took them to an antique shop in town, and the man almost had a heart attack when he looked at them...they were perfect originals.

But of course...this is only a story...I personally don't believe it...but it seems particularly striking as it was a couple reenactors in a living history.

Ashley Montalvo

reddcorp
10-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I have personally met the ghost of Jack Daniel's many times.
Frightening.

A.Redd

CheeseBoxRaft
10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
I also got a strange picture at Chancellorsville, up near an oven looking thing. By 'oven-looking thing' do you mean Catherine's Furnace?

http://www.factasy.com/civil_war/photo_galleri/tony_meeks/page_2/tn_Catherine%20Furnace.jpg

- John Steadman

Rob Weaver
10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
"...ask directions from a genie in a bottle of Jim Beam and she lies to you..."

A couple years ago, I was talking with an individual I had recently met here in the town in which I live. She retold a chost story which she swore she had seen in the vicinity of Spangler's Spring. I listened politely, but intriqued because two college buddies and I made up that story while standing around Spangler's Spring one fall night in the early '80s. Sometime in the intervening years, the story had jumped the track into folklore, complete with the requisite "And I was there and saw her, too" appeal to credibility. Real-life ghost stories are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but you can see why I'm incredulous.

amontalvo915
10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
By 'oven-looking thing' do you mean Catherine's Furnace?

http://www.factasy.com/civil_war/photo_galleri/tony_meeks/page_2/tn_Catherine%20Furnace.jpg

- John Steadman

Yes sir, that is what I took a picture of, there was something peeping around the back corner of it.

Ashley Montalvo

redleggeddevil
10-04-2007, 05:42 PM
I collect ghost stories like other people collect stamps. And, like a stamp collector, I only value the "real thing"-- that is, stories I can trace back to the original person.

That being the case, I have discarded about 90 percent of the stories I have heard, those that happened to "a friend of a friend". Still, there are some things I have heard from others (and a few that I have felt and seen myself) that I cannot otherwise explain. Some come from battlefields, but many come from otherwise peaceful, unlikely places. For example, several Rangers at Gettysburg have told me that the scariest, most haunted place there is...the Eisenhower Farm. Devil's Den at midnight? Kids' stuff! They tell me that, if you want a real scare, go down the back staircase to Mamie's kitchen.

As for me, I can say that, if one spends enough time in old houses, it is hard to stay an agnostic about ghosts. I was director of a house museum in Oyster Bay, New York. It was famous for ghostly activity, although only a fraction of it could be traced to an actual, identifiable observer. I had gotten pretty blase about it all, since I had been there for almost 3 years without seeing anything (although my staff had a few interesting interactions).

And then, one December night, while I was closing up after a candlelight tour...

reb64
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I have gotten a picture of something strange in Gettysburg on the Wheatfield. My husband (who does't know a who lot about the Civil War, he is a WWII kind of man) claims it looks like a soldier from the picture of the Irish Brigade I have. I also got a strange picture at Chancellorsville, up near an oven looking thing. When I say strange things in the photos, I mean a shadowy thing in the picture.

Ashley Montalvo

Can we see them?

amontalvo915
10-04-2007, 08:07 PM
http://flickr.com/photos/10100463@N04/836903427/in/set-72157600869504498/
http://flickr.com/photos/10100463@N04/836903351/in/set-72157600869504498/
http://flickr.com/photos/10100463@N04/836903241/

These aren't the ones I mentioned above, those are hard copies, but these were taken when we were leaving Gettysburg. I had the windows down, so there is no possibility of reflections.

reb64
10-04-2007, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=These aren't the ones I mentioned above, those are hard copies, but these were taken when we were leaving Gettysburg. I had the windows down, so there is no possibility of reflections.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, enjoy photos and especially daytime ones. most supposed ghost photos are at night. Have anyother photos done this? If so Id first check camera lenses inside and out, looks like spots on the lenses, glare off the flash or moisture in the camera. In your series of 54 photos many others also have spots, mist like areas

Frenchie
10-05-2007, 12:16 AM
One of my reenacting mentors told about the time his son-in-law, who was not a reenactor and had very little interest in or knowledge of the War, asked him if anyone in the War ever wore red pants. He said he'd been driving east on Lee Hwy through the Manassas NBP toward Sudley Road at dusk. He said he'd seen someone run across the road some distance in front of him, and the figure appeared to be wearing red trousers and carrying some sort of stick. My friend determined that the figure was running through the area where the 5th NY Volunteer Infantry (Duryee's Zouaves) were overrun by Longstreet's assault of August 30, 1862 (Second Bull Run). He then called the park and learned that there were no events going on at the time. I ain't believing or dismissing the story, just passing it on.

rebkid
10-05-2007, 06:29 AM
i have only had 2 experiences with the supernatural. the first, we were working in a old plantation called "the price house" here in sc, it was built in 1794, and used to be a grand plantation, but now its a museum. anyway, we were outside checking around the foundation, when the fellow i was with and myself both felt like someone was touching us. the bricks of this house were all made by slaves, and the lady who runs the place told us it was common to feel or "sense" stuff there. but we never saw anything or "sensed" anything else the whole time were there after that.

the second thing, was in waverly iowa. me and some friends were walking down the railroad tracks and we all seen something, kind of like a blob of smoke, beside the tracks, and then it moved across the tracs and just faded out. maybe a sneaky hobo?? who knows, but it was spooky, cause we all sensed we were being watched.

wagen dawg
10-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I once caught a kid from Gettysburg College trying to deface Paddy O'Rourke's monument on LRT, at dusk. He was interested in seeing a ghost. I told him to walk west for about 25 feet and he would get the s*it scared out of him.

Why, will I see one?

No, you dumb s*it, you fall down the mountain.

Look up the meaning of "Greatful Dead". It goes a long way to explaining Ghosts.

and a good punch line....................

"Oh, forgive me Father, I thought you said goat."

That is all

Tim

WestTN_reb
10-11-2007, 03:43 AM

These aren't the ones I mentioned above, those are hard copies, but these were taken when we were leaving Gettysburg. I had the windows down, so there is no possibility of reflections.
No offense, but I can tell you right now that's not any kind of "ghost" or anything else of the kind. I've probably got a hundred pictures at home with the same thing on them. It's called SUN GLARE!

dionys_5
10-11-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm not saying that I don't believe in ghosts, but some things can be explained. I have never seen, heard, or felt anything that could not be explained. I think some people let their imagination run away with, and they can see or hear whatever they want. I have had many examples of this presented to me, and I could explain them all. Believe me, I would love to be able to tell a ghost story that I thought was real, but I can't.

If you think orbs are ghosts, then check out this link!
http://www.rfcascade.com/orbs.html

I've worked with cameras all my life and know the tricks they can play. Digital cameras just presented them in new ways!
Good luck to all you ghost hunters. Frankly, I think Gettysburg has been turned into a joke with all the ghost tours. It's a sacred battlefield to me!

reb64
10-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Well some who think they se ghosts may be in distress or have mental issues so i wouldn't be so harsh. I would debunk without a blanket dismissal. there may, may be some real phenomena and we shold be critical without dismissing. howeverf you never do see ghosts at walmart or puerto rico

HighPrvt
10-12-2007, 05:32 AM

Those are reflections/smudges on your car window, sorry!

sbl
10-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm suprised that no one can see the angels!

tompritchett
10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Those are reflections/smudges on your car window, sorry!

While I do agree with you that what he was describing as ghosts in his pictures were most likely artifacts of the picture taking process, I feel obligated to remind you that he specifically stated that his car windows were down - the statement is even in the text that you included in the quote.

DColeman
10-12-2007, 10:49 AM
The orbs are pretty funny in fact. They show up everywhere especially dusty areas. hmmm You should see all the orbs in my shots from the catacombs under Edinburgh. :rolleyes:

sbl
10-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Wet areas too. On the coast we have "orb horns" to keep ships off the rocks. :)

HighPrvt
10-12-2007, 07:53 PM
While I do agree with you that what he was describing as ghosts in his pictures were most likely artifacts of the picture taking process, I feel obligated to remind you that he specifically stated that his car windows were down - the statement is even in the text that you included in the quote.

Woops your right, in my defense, it was 5:30 Am when I posted that :)

OK then y'all need to clean your camera lens.
I do believe in spirits, and have had some very strange things happen in the past. However these photo's ain't gettin' it, IMHO !!

BTW, I do believe that he is a she!?!

Ken
10-12-2007, 09:32 PM

k. lida
Well, As long as we are discussing ghost stories here is a very interesting picture my friend took of me on the Chickamauga battlefield. As you can see it's broad daylight on a dry afternoon so there was no mist or anything in the air and you can see that I'm surrounded by what appears to be an aparition. You can almost make out a face in the ghostly image. Pretty cool. Oh I forgot to mention my friend was holding his cigar close to the lens when he snapped this and.....well you know the rest.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4940/chickxm6.th.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chickxm6.jpg)

PVT.THIB
10-12-2007, 09:48 PM
While I have never seen a ghost I was quite frightened at the Dogtrot House in Pleasent Hill, Louisiana. The house is the only surviving structure from the battle and was used as a hospital afterwards. I spent one night there and it was pretty windy. Lets just say the old drafty house did alot of groaning that night. While not one to believe in the supernatural, I didn't sleep a whole lot that night.
Jason Thibodeaux
Independent Rifles

tompritchett
10-13-2007, 12:27 AM
BTW, I do believe that he is a she!?!

Whoops. I guess that you got me back on that on. :D

silentbreeze
10-31-2007, 10:43 PM
I have been sensitive to the paranormal my entire life. And some would say they are just ghost stories. I would basically call it growing up. Being scared as a child. Not knowing what was going on. And now older, researching,learning, and coping (sp) with it. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just understanding how life works. I have experienced different hauntings over the years. But I almost always feel disappointed if I dont experience something at any battlefield. Whether it be pictures,music, or the occasional rebel yell or horse whiney to let you know that they still "walk" the earth. And that I admire their courage for standing up for what they believe in. Certainly a different mentality than the way people are brought up today. I think battlefields are one of the "safer" places to experience something. Because a lot of it is residual. But there are intelligent hauintings as well. Personally, ghost stories are nice. It gives a different atomsphere for historic places.