PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the 1st. Confederate Division

captdougofky
04-26-2006, 08:17 AM
I have been reenacting for ten years plus and have been to 4 or 5 National Events with them in charge of the C.S. side now they are called Army of Tenn.

Doug
Lyons Battery
1st. Ky. Vols.
C.S.

indguard
04-26-2006, 12:26 PM
There was a parting of ways over direction. A few groups wanted to edge toward stricter authenticity and a few said they weren't ready for that with some of their individual companies of their battalions. So a split occurred. When the dust settled, the 1st C.S. Div renamed itself the AOT.

Some were just more able to try for strict authenticity than others. We are all at different levels in this hobby of ours, after all, and to try and get thousands of guys all on the same authenticity level proved to be rather difficult. It is apparent that it is easier to do with smaller groups.

I think that is why the "hardcore" movement is able to do it with the higher standards as they aim at smaller groups of guys who are already all on the same page.

You will see the new AOT at Perryville this year on Oct. 7th and 8th alongside the groups that split away from the 1st C.S. Div. Come on out, you'll enjoy it.

So, the New AOT is doing strong and well and its commander, Gen. Mike Moore, is commanding the field at Perryville.

Warner Todd Huston

ley74
04-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Wait and watch. The Great Pumpkin will also visit a number of larger organizations in the next year. Fact is, it does not need to occur. Fact is, the lack of flexability simply serves to drive folks off instead of co-existing.

captdougofky
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I just wonder how artillery will fit into the picture. I was at Perryville in 02. Those big events cost a lot with no consideration on gunpowder is given. I shoot 1lb. shots with that and the friction primers, sometimes I wonder if its worth it. Don't forget the fees and fuel.

Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

indguard
04-27-2006, 05:39 PM
If you need the info for the Perryville event for artillery...

Here is Horse Drawn Artillery info:

http://www.perryvillereenactment.org/pv-hdarty.php

And regular artillery info:

http://www.perryvillereenactment.org/pv-artrules.php

Silas
05-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Fact is, the lack of flexability simply serves to drive folks off instead of co-existing.
Are folks at the bottom end of the reenacting spectrum entitled to do the samo-samo at every event they attend without making any effort to conform to minimal event standards at better events? To me, that sounds inflexible and rude.

Standards differ between what is acceptible at the local county fair and what is appropriate at a battle reenactment which occurs on the same ground where the actual battle occurred. Maybe I'm being inflexible for thinking it's not okay to bring Grade-C kit and attitude to Grade-A events, or that others must suffer the intolerance of militant farbs who just don't get a clue.

Others mileage obviously varies.

Silas Tackitt,
Pacific Nor'west Boo-bird

indguard
05-07-2006, 12:12 AM
...or that others must suffer the intolerance of militant farbs who just don't get a clue.

Ah, I always find it amusing when a militant calls OTHERS militants!

;)

Still, Tackit is correct to say that we all don't have to "get along" necessarily. There is a reason that some of the ultra hardcore only do their own events and won't go to a mainstream event. They are perfectly within their rights to do so, too.

I will also say that we have those same ultra hardcore folks to thank for our continued understanding of the material culture of the era we all love so much. Without them we would surely still be in Sears work shirts and engineer boots with trapdoor Springfields!

WTH

Silas
05-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Still, Tackit is correct to say that we all don't have to "get along" necessarily. There is a reason that some of the ultra hardcore only do their own events and won't go to a mainstream event. They are perfectly within their rights to do so, too.

WTH, you’re twisting my words. Folks at the higher end of the spectrum would get along much better with folks at the lower end if the latter would recognize they need to be flexible, too.

The old FCD, now AoT, does one event per year. A minimum standard was drafted and approved by vote of battalion and brigade commanders at a yearly meeting of the old FCD. The standard wasn’t very high, but it still created a quantifiable bench march. People thought it was just fine until Gen. Moore said it was time to commence enforcing the standard. (The Fiasco called Franklin gave him major heartburn.) Then people went postal about the unfairness of this “new” standard.

This was the beginning of the Battle for Blue Britches.

1862 was a banner year for the ANV. McClellan and Burnside were whipping boys for Gen. Lee. With victories came captured clothing. Blue pants were not an unusual sight in the ranks of the ANV.

The hapless AoT, which covered substantially more territory than the ANV, didn’t get a substantial victory until September, 1863. Opportunities to capture clothing in 1862 were rare. Stores were captured at Iuka, Mississippi, but there was no contemporaneous report of the famed blue pants being captured. There were several contemporaneous writings of new, blue, jean trousers being issued to AoT troops after the Corinth and Perryville campaigns. If the battles being portrayed occurred before the reports of newly issued clothing, the issuances become irrelevant.

Union stores, which included kersey trousers, were captured by Cleburne’s demi-division during the Perryville campaign. This always becomes a cited at a reason why it is okay to wear “sky blue pants” at Perryville. Proper kersey trousers are perfectly acceptable at Perryville if troops in his demi-division are being portrayed. Speaking as a person involved in the scenarios planned for this year’s Perryville reenactment, the brigades constituting demi-division are not being portrayed. Accordingly, it’s still inappropriate for Confederate troops to wear sutler grade, “sky blue pants” or properly constructed kersey trousers.

Despite Cleburne’s troops not being portrayed at this year’s reenactment, I guarantee you’ll see troops, who are not affiliated with Gen. Moore’s AoT, wearing “sky blue pants” because Cleburne’s troops had ‘em. That’s really sad. People like me will be considered inflexible for getting in people’s faces because THEY were inflexible about conforming to known standards.

Gen. Moore’s policy is pretty simple: for the one large event per year where he commands, conform to the impression of the soldiers being portrayed at that one reenactment.

This doesn’t mean that you cannot use your sky blues or wall tents at other events. Just don’t bring them to this one event per year. For all the howling, you’d think we were trying to steal people’s babies or uproot the remains of our sacred grandfathers who fought in the war. Do what they did for one weekend of the year.

Moore’s AoT is an upper level mainstream organization. Asking people to conform to a recognized standard for one event isn’t asking too much. If you want a large event where anything goes, attend one of the annual fests at Cedar Creek.

Perryville isn’t Rich Mountain. The minimum standard for what is acceptable at Perryville is lower than what is acceptable for Rich Mountain. Not everyone can do events like Rich Mountain, an immersion event where standards are high. Gen. Moore isn’t asking his entire command to tailor its impression to meet the exact standard the few regiments being portrayed at that location at point in time as is occurring at Rich Mountain. He’s got a general impression for that entire army during the three middle years of the war. There’s a lot more wiggle room in the impression standard for Moore’s AoT than there will be for Rich Mountain.

It’s okay that not everyone wants to do or can do an event like Rich Mountain. However, I have a problem with militant, vocal farbs who insist upon wearing sutler grade, sky blues to every event they attend and upon dragging all the trappings of home to stash in their commodious wall tents with the standard front porch, tent fly. Why does this vocal minority think the upper to middle spectrum must always bend to their needs? Why can’t they bend to the needs of the majority who are making an effort to reenact the past, not the past reenactment?

Let’s talk about “hardcore” and “ultra hardcore” for just a minute. For the overwhelming majority of people in this hobby, there’s nothing hard about eating from your haversack or going without a tent or cot for a weekend, but some make it sound like its an impossible task. We are a soft generation of Americans. Lacking the luxuries of modern life seems barbaric by present standards.

When the hardcore word is spoken by people in the mid to lower spectrum of the hobby, it is typically used as a swear word. I’m reminded of the saying that the nail which stand up gets hammered down. That word is a hammer which bludgeons people who are trying to do things right by people who know they are not doing things right. “Do what we do or leave” is what that word means. Most people are reluctant to leave their friends so they conform to the group standard - for a while.

In many arguments about “hardcore” reenacting, the topic stoops to lice and dysentery. No, no one wants to reenact lice and dysentery. So, if you cannot do that, you cannot completely live as a CW soldier for a weekend. Cannot Conform Completely becomes an excuse for anything goes. There’s an awful lot you CAN do in conforming to what was actually done without ending up in the hospital for a week. Leaving the blue pants at home is one of those things one can do without endangering one’s health.

Silas Tackitt,
Boo-bird

Footslogger
05-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Hear Hear, well said that man, If folk can't or won't conform to laid down event minimum standards, stay at home I say and don't louse it up for everyone else that makes the effort to conform.

MStuart
05-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but since this is somewhat of a public forum and the repartee between the "factions" (for lack of a better word) has been ongoing for some time, in public mind you, I'll ask the following:

Just what is the source of the bad blood between WTH and Mark/AoT staff?

We've all been entertained by the back and forth between them, but no one has come out and thrown the entire basket of dirty laundry into the open for the rest of us to muse over. I figure if you're gonna go back and forth on the forum, we all may as well know what it's all about. Rather than have 700 of us speculate, let us all in on it.

Mark

HighPrvt
05-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I have to agree with Mark. it erks me to see reenactors with federal trousers, modern glasses,etc. Yet have the money to buy A-frame, giant cooler, inflateable bed.........
However I don't blame them. I blame their company comanders. most units have some sort of standards, yet they seem unwilling to enforce them.
Hopefully this will be minimized at Perryville.

Silas
05-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Just what is the source of the bad blood between WTH and Mark/AoT staff?
He and I have publicly crossed swords in the past, but I don't feel like we're fightin' or there is any bad blood. We've worked out our differences.

I mentioned him by initials in my response because I didn't want my words twisted. If what I wrote in my response has been construed as an attack upon him in any way, shape or form, please reread my remarks as there was no intent on my part to attack him.

His remarks were just a vehicle for me to discuss the other side of the coin in the inflexibility argument noted by someone else.

Silas Tackitt

indguard
05-09-2006, 12:04 AM
If what I wrote in my response has been construed as an attack upon him in any way, shape or form, please reread my remarks as there was no intent on my part to attack him.

I do not imagine that my remarks on this thread were an "attack" either. For the one line somewhat in jest there were several more PRAISING the "hardcore" of this hobby. Nor do I find Mr. Tackitt's words on this thread any kind of attack on me. It's all good, baby.

As to "solving" any bad blood, there never WAS any from my position in the first place, but merely response. Should Mr. Tackitt claim that he no longer bears ill will, then I am quite satisfied with that.

But, we should all accept one thing. When strong personalities meet only one of two things can occur. Cooperation or warfare! (You may all laugh now. This was a bit of a joke at both our expense, I hope)

And let's also face that there is intransigence and inflexibility enough for to go 'round on all sides at any given time, in every human endeavor. I once saw two church Deacons get in a fist fight over the expense of the Communion purchase!!

And, while some in our little universe seem to treat reenacting like a religion, at least we shant curry the disfavor of God with our little imbroglios!
:)

FWL
05-09-2006, 08:40 AM
It’s okay that not everyone wants to do or can do an event like Rich Mountain. However, I have a problem with militant, vocal farbs who insist upon wearing sutler grade, sky blues to every event they attend and upon dragging all the trappings of home to stash in their commodious wall tents with the standard front porch, tent fly. Why does this vocal minority think the upper to middle spectrum must always bend to their needs? Why can’t they bend to the needs of the majority who are making an effort to reenact the past, not the past reenactment?

Silas Tackitt,
Boo-bird

Mr. Silas I would submit that the Militant Farbs are not a minority. I have generally stopped going to large events and local events because of them. In fact they might even be increasing. But in the end there is really are two hobbies and since I don't like conflict (on my hobby time) I have tried to stop going to event where they are present. I will try to get to Perryville, that may be the last large event I attend.

Silas
05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
In my completely unscientific observations, I think seventy to eighty percent of all reenactors comprise the middle of the spectrum. At the polar ends of the spectrum, you've got vocal minorities howling and laughing at each other for one reason or another.

Even in the middle, you've got some folks who are better than others. The middle of the spectrum has clueless folks whose impressions are sub par because they don't know any better. I can tolerate folks who don't know better because they are generally willing to improve. Their motivation is to do things right. Then there are those whose impressions are sub par even though they do know better. I have little toleration for folks who do know better and make no effort to conform to known, historical standards. They always find a convenient and logically sounding excuse to deviate. ("Cannot do that because ...")

I understand what you mean about local events, FWL. Should I dare to mention which of the local associations near me I'll be avoiding this year due to the sour attitudes of a few, vocal, militant farbs, they'll get hacked off. Of course, these same militant farbs will be hacked off anyway because I'm not mentioning them by name. There's just no pleasing some people so why bother?

Some people aren't happy unless they're upset. One episode last year involved a local guy who got mad at me because I didn't say anything positive or negative about his event. Talk about looking for an insult. Then there was the episode where I said how stupid a battle was. The victors of the battle took offense. You'd think I was insulting their religion for all the flak I took from that.

I practice my hobby for the enjoyment it gives me. It is moments like today that make it worthwhile. I received an unexpected, long distance, phone call from a solid, battalion commander who gave me some positive feedback on some battalion drill we had discussed last year. I'm really sorry that members of his battalion elected to leave the FCD/AoT. I'll still see him at Perryville, but I'm hoping to someday see his battalion back in the ranks of Gen. Moore's AoT.

Silas Tackitt,
Boo-bird

tompritchett
05-09-2006, 08:24 PM
The saddest part is all the "clueless" mainstreamers who would indeed improve their impressions except that their senior leadership belongs to the militant farbs group. The worst of these leaders are the ones that give a great authenticity talk but deliberately and knowly walk the militant farb walk.

flattop32355
05-09-2006, 10:31 PM
In my completely unscientific observations, I think seventy to eighty percent of all reenactors comprise the middle of the spectrum. At the polar ends of the spectrum, you've got vocal minorities howling and laughing at each other for one reason or another.

Even in the middle, you've got some folks who are better than others. The middle of the spectrum has clueless folks whose impressions are sub par because they don't know any better. I can tolerate folks who don't know better because they are generally willing to improve. Their motivation is to do things right. Then there are those whose impressions are sub par even though they do know better. I have little toleration for folks who do know better and make no effort to conform to known, historical standards. They always find a convenient and logically sounding excuse to deviate. ("Cannot do that because ...")

Militant Farb, Farb. Hardcore, Militant Hardcore.

All four terms have developed, for better or worse, into slander. None of them are used in any way, any more, other than to poke sticks into other people's eyes. They are also relative terms, depending upon where on the spectrum you, and "they", stand.

Think about where you are now in the hobby (Yes, the ONE hobby). How did you end up there, at this point on the "authenticity scale"? Why are you at this particular point, and not at some other, in either direction?

I think many of us on this board would say it is because they became dissatisfied with some aspects of how they had been reenacting; lack of accuracy, boredom, wanting the elusive "more" out of the hobby. All noble reasons to "progress". And yet.....

There are those who, because of age or health, can't or choose not to be as accurate as they might otherwise be in their impression. They like doing this hobby too much to stop, yet can't quite get over the hump of gunning for "authenticity" any more.

There are those who say they can't afford the premium items to be "authentic". It's a whole 'nuther arguement that I won't get into here. But it is seen as a legitimate reason by a goodly number of folk, and if reality is perception, it's a reality.

There are people who are happy doing it the way they are doing it, even if it is not as "authentic" as what some of us do. They have reached their level of comfort and pleasure within the hobby, so to speak, same as those who have found it at a "higher level". They are just as satisfied at their point on the scale as are some of those on any other point on that scale, and at least at that time, have no desire to move up or down. They may change, they may not. The only thing certain is that they won't change under duress, they'll only get angry.

And you know what? It's not my job, or anyone else's, to force them to change, either up or down the scale. We aren't the Taliban leadership, we're just plain, simple folk enjoying a hobby. As I've said before, I have enough to worry about concerning my own impression, much less trying to convince others to do it my way, except as an example to those who are actively interested in how I do it. Yes, I'll shake my head when I see something off the wall, or done poorly, or snafu'ed. I'll even offer the occasional suggestion. But I'll try not to denigrate or embarrass anyone in the process.

I've only been in this hobby for two full years now. In that short time, I've gotten bored with repeat, set-piece battles on postage-stamp sized fields with commanding officers who fight over manual interpretations of field maneouvers while leaving the men to bake at shoulder arms while they debate. I've become one of those who seeks the "more", but not yet to the level of some who frequent here and other boards. I've never been to Paynes Farm or any other of the "premium" events, and don't know right now if I ever will. Some may take offence at that, but I'm not here to please them. I do it because I want and like to; no more, no less.

All I am doing is to move at my own pace along the line to some point where I'll be satisfied, if only for a time, before moving on again if the itch gets too great. All I can hope for is that, when it's all said and done and I'm finished doing this crazy hobby, I can look back and be happy at what I did and what I contributed to my comrades and the public, and how I treated others.

Agree or not, that's how I go about it. Other's mileage will vary.

captdougofky
05-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't understand all the hard feeling in some cases over who is right and who is real. The hardcore and farbs. I myself fall into the Farbs I guess, concerning I take the family with me. I think it is a good learning experience for my teenage daughter. Having said that, should I just stay at home because I don't conform to someone else or their impression of what a civil war soldier should look like I don't think so. I do Artillery and our involvement in the leadership at events is limited at best. We seem to get along fine both union and confederate. I have found that most Artillery units are of the farby nature, not so much as to the uniforms or guns but in respect to the camps. Most of us bring wall tents, wifes,coolers, flys (tent) and anything else that we deem important. I get a little bent when some of the comments are made about the big trucks and trailers. If someone can tell me how to move a 2 thousand pound cannon from Kentucky to say Perryville without one please inform. The next time I go to a National and they want to move Artillery around the battefield like they always do without the modern trucks or tractors please info. The events standards only apply when it is someone else is doing the work. If they want to find a six horse pull to hook to the limber I will leave my BIG Truck in the parking lot, I think sometimes we all forget the battle only last for one hour (at best) that still leaves 23 hours out of the day for fun and fellowship which is what this hobby needs in respect to the farbs and hardcore not getting along. This hobby is driven by money and its sad to say that the people who have spent the most have the least say, we the reenactors.

Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

hanktrent
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
I think sometimes we all forget the battle only last for one hour (at best) that still leaves 23 hours out of the day for fun and fellowship which is what this hobby needs in respect to the farbs and hardcore not getting along.

How you define "fun" and "fellowship," though, sums up the difference between farbs and hardcores.

For some people, the re-creation of history lasts from Friday evening until Sunday morning, and the battle, if there is one, is only a small part of it. The fun comes from the shared goal of trying to be as accurate as possible, every minute, throughout the event. Others have a different idea of fun.

I don't see how both kinds of people can interact at the same event, without detracting from each other's fun and fellowship, rather than adding to it. Nor do I see why either should be expected to change and give up what they enjoy to please the other. Different hobbies for different people. Much easier to work at defining what's expected at any particular event, so those who want something in particular can reenact with others who are like-minded.

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

MStuart
05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
The label "farb" is sometimes used to describe anyone who doesn't agree or act according to someone elses vision of our hobby.

Food for thought

Mark

ewtaylor
05-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Perryville is a national event and will have all types of reenactors. After it is over NOONE should be complaining about hardcores or farbs being there. All will be present. It comes down to the events you participate in. If you don't want to see farbs then upgrade your kit (stop buying junk uniforms, iron cookware, big tents, and trailers to haul your campsite in) and find some progressive minded people and go to some of the events advertised on the A/C forum. Most hometown shows are the same and always will be. Some people will go from farbdom to hardcore, most don't. They are happy camping with family and friends and portraying what they think is history. Nothing or noone is ever going to change that. Its a hobby, you can do what you want.
ew taylor

ilfed104
05-10-2006, 01:52 PM
I've listened to the different arguments regarding farb/hardcore and the differences. People are going to do what they're going to do.

I believe it's time to start labeling camps so the spectators attending know what they are going to pass through in no way represents anything Civil War, but are camps of convenience for the less authentic, women, kids, etc.

I would like to see a sign, maybe 4' x 6', which says,
THE CAMP YOU ABOUT TO ENTER IN NO WAY
REPRESENTS A PERIOD CIVIL WAR CAMP.
ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

So Capt. Doug can bring all the paraphenalia/impedimentia he can get in his big ole truck and not worry about offending anyone.

While I'm thinking about it, if artillery is too expensive maybe you should consider another branch. I doubt if anyone held a gun to your head and forced you to buy a cannon.

Rick Keating

tompritchett
05-10-2006, 02:06 PM
While I'm thinking about it, if artillery is too expensive maybe you should consider another branch. I doubt if anyone held a gun to your head and forced you to buy a cannon.

Rick Keating
Physical limitations often do force some individuals to go into artillery instead of infantry or dismounted cavalry. Lets face it, you must be in far better physical condition to portary an infantry man in a battle than a artillery man in terms of being able to move "long" distances over the field during a battle. Now, I will readily concede that many artillery men could do infantry from a physical point of view but there are definitely others that would have an extremely difficult time of it. In fact, one individual in my unit who is looking to ultimately shift to artillery once he gets older because of physical limitations that are only going to get worse as he gets older.

Just trying to present a more balanced view on the subject.

indguard
05-10-2006, 03:21 PM
I agree with Rick to a degree.

While I find the "sign" he proposed a tad offensive, I am ALL for having an event make it clear what is a proper, historical camp and what is just where the reenactors and their families stay as they attend the event.

As opposed to labeling the farb camps, I'd make a special camp with signs for an authentic camp telling the public just what they are seeing.

Of course, this might mean that some of the bedrollers and authentic campers might have to stop going a 1/2 mile from the event and stop hiding in the woods for the public to SEE it...

Still, I think we really SHOULD make sure the public understands what they are seeing.

-Warner Todd Huston
the "Deys all agin me" mess

ewtaylor
05-10-2006, 04:13 PM
At the last Perryville National people (spectators) noticed a difference between the CS campaigners in the woods and the families camping near the sutlers. Many commented on the appearance and stated out loud they had figured this was more realistic than the tent city. I don't know how the US camps looked. I think the Park should have a handout showing on a map the locations of the "historically correct" campsites and not even mention the other ones. That way noone's feelings are hurt. There are ways of including everyone in these reenactments, but it always seems someone's ego gets in the way.
ew taylor

captdougofky
05-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Get your rifle Rich and head to the woods with your kind of mannners you don't need to be talking to the public.

Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

ilfed104
05-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Hey CaptDougofKY, get it right -- my name is Rick, not Rich.

I've been doing this long enough to know the difference between what a proper camp is and what is not.

If we're supposed to be "educating the public" how can you justify your wall tent, fly porch and the family being in camp with you. DIDN'T HAPPEN CaptDougofKY. So if you're standing in front of your tent (under your fly) do you tell the 'taters they didn't have camps like this?

We can all make a contribution to this hobby but should strive to give the spectators the best information we can. Kind of hard to do if your whole setup is not period correct.

Rick Keating

tompritchett
05-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Might I suggest that either the two of you agree to disagree or take your discussion private as we have seen this debate here ad nauseum. Also, the exchange has shown signs of becoming heated and personal.

toptimlrd
05-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Ok before blood spills here, here is my take (nobody asked but I'll give it anyway; it's free so take it for what it's worth)

Yes we are in the same hobby, but you know I have several hobbies from classic cars to model railroading. With classic cars, there are those who do over the top customs, hot rods, etc and others who want a concours example of an original. In most cases these folks go to the same shows and same events with a certain mutual RESPECT for what each other does. Likewise in model railroading, there are different scales (I've worked in everyhing except S and Z) and everyone has a different idea of what is fun; some just like to run the trains, some like building the details to the most realistic perspective possible, somme like figuring out timetables and running the trains like a "real railroad". Take my garden railway for example, I have a simple track layout that allows me to turn on my trains and let them run while I sit back and enjoy being outside. Some of my plant's are not to scale and my rolling stock is not the most accurate, but you know what? I love seeing better detailed and more attention to detail railroads and those with the "more authentic" layouts also seem to enjoy sitting back with me and watching the trains run.

Where am I going with this? Since I joined this hobby there has been vocal minorities on both ends of the spectrum that almost seem to seethe and hate each other. I think we are all wanting the same basic thing, honor those who built this great nation and we have chosen the Civil War as our era of fascination. The truth is that even in a "farby" (how I hate that term) camp site, the great unwashed who are generally completely clueless are still astounded at how minimalistic the area is. Even when I am in canvas city, I try to explain to spectators that tents such as these would not have been found at many battlefields, but in garisson settings such as forts and winter quarters. I approach it from the point that we are trying (at large events) to show the public a vast variety of life from the period as this is probably more information about this time period than they ever got (or will get) in school.

Now I for one enjoy various levels of authenticity, but I also understand what the expectations are for each event. I do not go to the battle of Hooterville and annual pig calling carnival expecting a Rich Mountain type experience. I may even show up with (GASP) a wall tent and family in tow for such an event. If I am going to a more authentically minded event, I will conform to those standards. If canvas is allowed, do I sometimes hide anachronisms inside? You betcha. Do I try to do this at events that stipulate this is not acceptable? Not on your life. If there is an event I am not comfortable at, I do not go. If there is a car show for cars through 1950 do I take my 72 Monte Carlo steet machine? Nope. Do I whine and cry that they won't let me have my 350 HP 1972 Chevy with the custom paint and engine bay at a concours d'elegance? Not a chance. Will I show it alongside a poorly built 85 cavalier at a local charity show that allows all makes and models? Absolutely. Will I degrade that guy with the 85 Cavalier with parts store slip on seat covers and rattle can engine compartment detail job. No, I may talk to him and see if he is interested in talking shop and maybe give him suggestions if he wants.

The soap box is now open.

ilfed104
05-11-2006, 01:01 AM
why don't you just close this thread. It's gotten far away from the original subject of the 1st Confederate Division.

Rick Keating

Eric Tipton
05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Where am I going with this? Since I joined this hobby there has been vocal minorities on both ends of the spectrum that almost seem to seethe and hate each other.

Yeah, I call it the 5% rule. There are 5% on either side who will never agree with each other. It exists in reenacting and pretty much every human endeavor. Get used to it. I have read only a few posts in this thread and the "Biggest Threat to the Hobby" thread and can tell that this is just more of the samo-samo with different names attached to the posts.

One thing I learned very early in the hobby (the hard way) is if you base your opinions about the hobby on the internet flame wars and take it to heart, you will quickly become frustrated. Early on, I know I did.

The reality is that there are a large number of people in the hobby who are good people who also happen to look for improvement in themselves and their impression. If you fit this category, then I'd suggest picking up the phone and talking to some of these people.

Anyone who enjoys these train wrecks of "debate" on the forums, should maybe consider becoming "hardcore" reality television fans, or maybe pick a good soap opera to follow. Enjoy and flame-on. This thread is a re-run. I'm gonna go read a book.