PDA

View Full Version : Paying to Restore Jeff Davis' Hurracaine ravaged home...

indguard
04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
I guess we shouldn't be surprised that those who would love nothing less than an entire Soviet style purging of our history are against money going to restore Jeff Davis' home in Miss., eh?

Clash stirs over Katrina funds for historic site

Historic preservationists are clashing with a civil rights group and at least one Congressional budget hawk over plans to spend millions of dollars to restore the former home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

Hurricane Katrina caused an estimated $25 million in damage to the house, called Beauvoir. It was built in the 1850s and served as Davis' retirement home after the Civil War.

At the behest of the National Trust and other historic preservation organizations, Senate Appropriations Chairman Thad Cochran, R-Miss., has included $80 million to restore storm-battered historic property in a $27 billion emergency hurricane package the Senate is scheduled to debate this week.

"These funds are important to ensure the full economic and cultural recovery of the coast," says Jenny Manley, Cochran's press secretary.

Mississippi NAACP President Derrick Johnson disagrees: "We adamantly oppose the restoration of Beauvoir. It is one of the most divisive symbols in this state and in this state's history."

The money to restore historic places may be challenged by Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla. "He would be concerned about this not being a true emergency," says John Hart, Coburn's press secretary. "When people are homeless, that should be the first priority."

Beauvoir officials also are seeking private money for the rebuilding effort.

Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060425/pl_usatoday/clashstirsoverkatrinafundsforhistoricsite;_ylt=Atl ry8zwI5DHnTinYF0wQhACCGYD;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHN lYwN5bmNhdA--

tenfed1861
04-25-2006, 09:08 PM
I do feel that those who are still homeless because of Kathrina need a home first,but what's wrong with rebuilding this house.If they want to get technical, the Buffalo soldiers during the Indian Wars could be seen as rasict for the mass murder of Native Americans.
Now,how about we ask an Indian at Sand Creek,or the Trail of Tears if they would rather be there,or on a cotton plantaion working?Both were horrible wrong,but the NAACP needs to understand the Native Americans are still getting sc***ed.Go to a reservation in the west and compair it to Harlem.Harlem is Mid-town Manhatten compaired to some Indian reservations.I'm pretty darn liberal, but the NAACP gets on my nerves at times.This is one of them.
Cullen Smith