PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Medicine

drummerboyMarine
09-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone on here knew anything about how they treated solidiers during the Civil War for various diseases and sicknesses they may have gotten. Also interested in how they treated the various battle wounds recived such as gunshot, shrapnel, etc. This is reasearch for a book I'm writing. Thanks for your help. You may also email me.

Suppelsa
09-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I can't believe I'm reading this.

Chris Suppelsa

Miss L
09-08-2007, 10:09 PM
If you're stateside, you may wish to check with your local library and see if they can get you a copy of 'Civil War Medicine - Challenges and Triumphs' by Alfred Jay Bollet, M.D., published in 2002 by Galen Press. As long as you have internet access, you could check out:

http://www.civilwarmed.org/index.cfm

which is the website for the National Museum of Civil War Medicine.

Best of luck with your project!

NoahBriggs
09-09-2007, 02:41 AM
Start believing it, Chris.

Still puzzles me - why is it called "Civil War Medicine?" What's wrong with the term "nineteenth century medicine?"

TimKindred
09-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone on here knew anything about how they treated solidiers during the Civil War for various diseases and sicknesses they may have gotten. Also interested in how they treated the various battle wounds recived such as gunshot, shrapnel, etc. This is reasearch for a book I'm writing. Thanks for your help. You may also email me.

Comrade,

Since this is for a commercial project, you may contact me offline if you wish. My rates for research begin at $50.00/hour, with a three-hour minimum billing. Any materials profided must be properly cited in the text, and credit(s) given in the forward.

Honestly, how little do you think of the folks here that you would troll around looking for research for free? Many here have spent years developing their research, spending unknown hours delving through old tomes and contemporary articles, collections and manuscripts to draw back the curtain of ignorance and reveal the reality of 19th century medical practices.

To come onto this board, or any other such board and ask to simply be given the fruit of that work is beyond insulting. It becomes even more so when you seek the work of others for your own gain.

drummerboyMarine
09-09-2007, 01:10 PM
To the people who have responded to this thread, I don't mean to be insulting or look like I'm trying to take reaseach as my own or anything of the sort. I only ask what you know. I have conducted appox. 3 years of both reseach and writing for this project already. All resources are documented properly. All people who have helped me will go in my aknowledgements. This site itself will also be documented in my aknowledgements as well. Again I am only asking for your help. Thank You, drummerboyMarine.

Micah Trent
09-09-2007, 03:22 PM
To the people who have responded to this thread, I don't mean to be insulting or look like I'm trying to take reaseach as my own or anything of the sort. I only ask what you know. I have conducted appox. 3 years of both reseach and writing for this project already. All resources are documented properly. All people who have helped me will go in my aknowledgements. This site itself will also be documented in my aknowledgements as well. Again I am only asking for your help. Thank You, drummerboyMarine.

Have you tried using the SEARCH function??????????????....located in the beautiful light blue bar underneath your users name.
If you do a little research here in the Medical Threads, you'd be surprised what you would pull up! Heck, it might even answer your questions.:shock:

Frenchie
09-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Telling us who you are, giving us some background, describing your research and letting us know where you're going with it might help too.

Three years' worth of research and you haven't figured out what you need to do to get people to want to help you...

(Added after Micah's suggestion below, thanks!): http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/Darkfold_2006/banghead.gif

Micah Trent
09-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Telling us who you are, giving us some background, describing your research and letting us know where you're going with it might help too.

Three years' worth of research and you haven't figured out what you need to do to get people to want to help you...

Frenchie,

Would been an excellent time to place the icon with the figure banging its head on the computer keyboard!:rolleyes:

David Meister
09-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Why Is Everyone being so Rude to this guy?:confused: This is the type of BS you see over at the AC forum. :D

Micah Trent
09-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Frenchie,

Ah...lol...it never gets old!

David,

One may find it rude to an extent, however, what every one has said has made sense. It is one thing to help a pard out, but it is also the responsibilty of the original poster to do his homework.
Maybe the original poster did not mean for the question to be responded to the way it has been, but the way it was written, it was pretty much asked in the "spoon fed" type of way. We can help answer to a point, but suggeting the SEARCH function to someone is not rude and it allows the person who is asking the question to their their homework, which we have all done. Nothing comes on a silver platter no matter what forum you are on. At least, that is how I view it.

Suppelsa
09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
We can help answer to a point, but suggeting the SEARCH function to someone is not rude and it allows the perosn who is asking the question to their their homework, which we have all done. .

Maybe its just me, but if I were writing a book I wouldn't be getting my research from a forum.

Chris Suppelsa

Micah Trent
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Maybe its just me, but if I were writing a book I wouldn't be getting my research from a forum.

Chris Suppelsa

You ain't kiddin'!:) To me, it is the very last place to look. Heck, most of the time I don't look for my answers here at all.

tompritchett
09-09-2007, 08:08 PM
If I am understanding this reply and your PM correctly, you have basically been asking for additional help in researching the background of an apparently fictional book that you have been working on for quite a while. If you had initially stated that this was the purpose of your research and the fact that you have already been collecting material for several years, I think that many of the people here probably would have been more helpful and definitely less belligerent in some of their responses, myself included.

TimKindred
09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Comrades,

Sorry to be so late in getting back to this thread.

1.) As Micah points out, there is a search function, which Noah also talked about, and it's really easy to use.

2.) I have never turned down a pard looking for advice or having some homest questions. Helping eachother out is a good thing. Pointing out where to find information is also a good thing. However, putting together a commercial project, and expecting folks to freely share their (quite often) expensive research is a whole different ball game. It is especially presumptuous of someone to just wander in and say expect it for free.

It costs a LOT of time and money to travel to archives, museums and special collections at various libraries. Books and supporting documents are not cheap either. Yes, sometimes you can borrow from the library, but other times you need your own copies to have on hand. Phone calls, letters, printing vosts, photocopies, images, etc, all have costs to be paid somehow.

I am writing a regimental history of the 3rd Maine Infantry. It's been a work in progress for several years, and it will probably be another year or two before it's ready for publication. I have the outlines all done. The writing is not the problem. It's finding the information, cross checking it with other sources, and putting it all into context. It takes time, and it takes money. I would fully expect to compensate people and institutions for copies of materials. for time spent interviewing, examing data, etc. It's the way business works.

Imagine being a computer tech, with your own business, and someone swings by and asks for help with his system, but doesn't expect to pay for it. Would you help them out? What about the next person who justs wants to "pick your brain" about some software issues?

How about if you were a maker of forage caps, and someone called you up and wanted a copy of your pattern so he could make his own, instead of buying one from you. Would you give it away?

As I said, I will never refuse to help a pard who is looking to improve his or her impression. I will not, however, give away my time and knowleadge for someone else to make money off of.

It's like folks who flock to work for free on civil war movies. It's a very bad precedent. You should be paid for your work.

Micah Trent
09-09-2007, 08:18 PM
As I said, I will never refuse to help a pard who is looking to improve his or her impression. I will not, however, give away my time and knowleadge for someone else to make money off of.

Ditto! I feel the same way.

GeorgeWunderlich
09-12-2007, 12:10 PM
More information please.

Your questions are the sujects of entire books in, an of, themselves. What have you seen so far? What are you looking for in particular? What books have you read? What is the subject of your book? Do you know what is currently being written by others?

Our Museum is looking at a 300 page manuasript on Civil War medicine right now to see IF there is any new information worth publishing. With the Bollet book out (as well as others) the subjet of general medicine is pretty well covered. What new information do you hope to bring to the table?

If we are going to be of help, we need to know how to help.

George Wunderlich

tompritchett
09-12-2007, 01:00 PM
What is the subject of your book?

It is my understanding based upon his replies here and a PM that he is writing what appears to be an historical novel and he is looking for background material for his book.