PDA

View Full Version : High dollar Brogans

Cannon Fodder
04-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Are the high dollar Brogans really worth their cost? Who makes the best brogan?

chase196126
04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Mr. Crone,

I would say definitely so. Not only are the higher priced brogans more historically accurate but are usually more comfortable and will last longer. I have a pair I purchased from the Skillet Licker in December of 2004 and those bootees have seen some tough service in the time i have had them, but they have never given me any foot problems whatsoever (I didnít even have to break them in!) and are still going very strong today. In just over the year and 4 months I have had them I know of 2 people who purchased sutler row brogans and wore them out during that time.

As for who makes the best shoe, there are a variety of good makers. I have been very pleased with my pair from Mr. Hofmann, but I have heard from many people that Mr. Serio of Missouri Boot and shoe makes a very comfortable and accurate bootee as well. Another maker I have heard very highly rated is Mattimore Harness. I believe those makers should be able to take care of your brogan needs.

Chase Pinkham

HighPrvt
04-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I started with cheap brogans.. Now I have two pair from Missouri Boot & Shoe, and a pair of Civie shoes from Tom Mattimore. You only have one pair of feet, and they have to last you forever. Don't buy cheap shoes!!!!!!

huntdaw
04-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Do yourself a favor - buy good shoes. They don't cost that much more that sutler row shoes and your feet will thank you. Don't cheat your feet - they'll make you pay and you'll be sorry you blew your money on inadequate footwear.

cblodg
04-26-2006, 10:11 AM
As already mentioned, a good brogan will take you a long way!

I own a new pair of Robery Land brogans, and am very happy with them. Extemely comfortable, and I too did not really have to break them in.

Your ordinary sutler row brogans won't do you much good when you have to purchase new ones 6 months to a year down the road. I know what they say in ecomnomics, sunk costs shouldn't be figured in, but in this hobby spending $75 on a cheaper pair now, and then going off and buying the higher quality will end up being around $200 in the end.

Save yourself the troubl, go with the more expensive brogan.

Chris

Cannon Fodder
04-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info.

toptimlrd
05-06-2006, 06:24 PM
If I may also add that many of the better makers will take a measurement of your foot and design the boot for a very good fit. I went through a pair of better quality sutler row shoes in about two years. I now wear Missouri Boot and Shoe and wish I had started there even though my earlier ones were OK. It is really worth the difference.

Michael Pierpoint
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
No matter who you buy from, keep your brogans well greased that really helps with them lasting a long time. In 1993 I bought a pair from f/c at the time I was a new guy on the block. However I kept them clean up and greased. and have set them a side this year for a pair of MBS wich are very comfortable first time out.

Michael Pierpoint

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
05-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Hallo!

Just an aside...
The better makers make their shoes from a series of measurements from EACH foot (both lefts and rights) as it is rare folks have exactlyl symmetrical feet.

Of course each lad knows his needs, wants, and circumstances best...

But I would again reemphasize the False Economy of buying "cheap." If a "cheap" pair of X (shoes in this case) are say $85 and a "premium" pair $150- for many lads their shoes end up costing them $235 instead of $150.
Because the "cheaper" shoes do not hold up, tear one's feet apart, or soon fall victim to better "authenticity standards," etc. and have to be replaced in a short while.
IMHO, it can be hard to march and play in ill-fitting and "uncomfortable" shoes...
In my own experience (which may be unique to me and not apply to others), I wish I had known about the "better stuff" earlier and I would not have thrown so much money out the window.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
Wish I Did't Know Now What I Didn't Know Then Mess

cblodg
05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I could have sworn I said that Curt

But again, its always worth repeating good advice. But also there is a caveat emptor here as well. Just because something is pricey, doesn't make it a good product. You can still buy a pair of $100 brogans, and they'll be crap.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
05-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Hallo!

You did! :-)
That is why I said "But I would again reemphasize..."

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
Sage Wisdom Bears Repepating mess

reddcorp
05-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I recently purchased a pair of Missouri Boot & Shoe brogans and could not be more pleased with the fit and appearance. MB&S was also very pleasant to deal with. My dogs have never felt so good.
To reiterate: Keep your brogans cleaned and oiled/greased with a good product. Also, get yourself a set of quality shoe trees (Cedar, preferably) to help maintain their shape.

Andy Redd

Indyguy
05-13-2006, 06:35 AM
I bought my Brogans at Graves Mercantile on Ebay, As far historically accurate I don't know they look good and fit well. I 've worn them many times since purchase. I believe they are as good as any higher priced Brogans and from some historical photos they look good too.
I know that the owner of Graves is on here to, But he had nothing to do with my post. He may be able to give you more on the historical part. But I like 'em.

Will
35th IVI Aco.

Graves Mercantile
05-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Will,

I am flattered and a little embarrassed to be mentioned in this thread. We are pleased to hear you are so satisfied with the brogans we sell. Our inexpensive line of brogans is a great start for the new reenactor, but we encourage all to learn and grow in authenticity as they gain experience in this hobby. I hope the brogans last you for years to come and when they do wear out I would recommend Missouri Boot & Shoe for top quality authentic replacements.

If you or anyone else would like to learn more about our stance on Historical Authenticity in reenacting please visit our site at: http://www.gravesmercantile.com/_mgxroot/page_10738.html

Thank you again for the high praise and I hope you have a great weekend.

cal 100
05-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, I appreciate Nathan's modesty but look at his link and you can see he understands his place in the hobby and he makes no bones about. I bought something him recently and the item broken on it 1st use, no questions asked he had another item to me in no time. On my own behalf, Nathan---thank you!!!

toptimlrd
05-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Will,

I am flattered and a little embarrassed to be mentioned in this thread. We are pleased to hear you are so satisfied with the brogans we sell. Our inexpensive line of brogans is a great start for the new reenactor, but we encourage all to learn and grow in authenticity as they gain experience in this hobby. I hope the brogans last you for years to come and when they do wear out I would recommend Missouri Boot & Shoe for top quality authentic replacements.

If you or anyone else would like to learn more about our stance on Historical Authenticity in reenacting please visit our site at: http://www.gravesmercantile.com/_mgxroot/page_10738.html

Thank you again for the high praise and I hope you have a great weekend.

Nathan, although I do buy more authentic articles, let me say how refreshing it is to see someone who represents their wares for what they are; entry level goods. I see too many sutlers out there trying to pass off goods that are probably not even at your standard as "authentic". I wish you well and hope that you do well in the niche market you are trying to tap. May I also suggest that you market towards stage production companies that may need inexpensive uniform items that pass the 10 to 20 foot rule.

Indyguy
05-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Nathan ,
I apologize for putting you on the spot, I did not intend to embrass you.
But the product I got, while not museum quality or historically authentic, is serving me well and I enjoy them as much and wear them more than the High dollar Brogans I own. I use the Graves Brogans for Battles and the High Dollars for Living Histories. I bought them used from a reenactor and he said they were authenic.
Which is a great way to make your shoes last longer, Having 2 pair.

Regular3
05-21-2006, 09:17 PM
I am still wearing the shoes I bought from Jarnagin in 1984 when that or dyed JC Penney desert boots were pretty much the only options. They have been resoled twice and re-heeled once, and I expect they'll do me till I retire from the hobby. However, I tell newbies who bother to ask, to check either Mattimore or MB&S.