PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg Reenactment 2008

RebeccaMI
09-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Next year will be my first trip to Gettysburg and my first Gettysburg reenactment experience. I have no idea what to expect, other than massive crowds. Could those of you who have been there before give me an idea of how it all goes?

If it helps, I guess there's a Living History area and a Living History Annex? I and my cartridge-rolling demo are being placed in the Living History Annex.

sbl
09-07-2007, 03:35 PM
If it helps, I guess there's a Living History area and a Living History Annex? I and my cartridge-rolling demo are being placed in the Living History Annex.[/QUOTE]

Dear Rebecca M,

Are you bringing all this to Gettysburg? :)

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/Homer_Letter/watertown_Arsenal.jpg

RebeccaMI
09-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Mmmm, not all that, no! Although that is a wonderful image...

Usually what I do is set up a table under a fly and sit there in my period dress. I have a poke sack full of poppy seeds (which look amazingly like grains of gunpowder, but are much more safe for younger folks), plenty of pre-cut cartridge papers, some rolling tubes, and sometimes I even get to borrow a powderhorn from one of the guys. I show people step by step how to roll a cartridge (sans projectile, although I do mention where in the whole process one would add one) and I also tell a little about women who worked in ammunition factories. Once a person has rolled a cartridge, he or she gets to take it home. Over this winter I hope to have a little time to make up some handouts to use as well.

I got the idea from Revolutionary War reenactments I attended with my family when I was a child. My brother and I loved doing the cartridge rolling demonstration, and when we were done we had something that we could hold in our hands and take home with us!! It was just sooo cool that we could not only experience history, but be able to take a tiny bit home with us.

sbl
09-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Dear Rebecca,

Sounds good. You might want to enlarge a copy of that image for your display or make a replica of the newspaper edition that the image is from to show the public the factory setting.

RebeccaMI
09-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Already saved it to my computer! :)