PDA

View Full Version : Sack Coats in old films

jerryeberg
09-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I've been watching some old movies about the civil war, like The General and the 3 Stooges shorts, and I noticed that most of the Union sack coats I see in them have 5 buttons. Is there a reason for this, or is it just that they were using a different style of coat?

Frenchie
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
They're post-Civil War, 1872 and later.

jerryeberg
09-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Neat, thanks.

They also certainly use a lot of trapdoor rifles instead of historically accurate muzzle loaders! :)

John Legg
09-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Actually,

There are MANY images of State issue Fatigue Blouses, that had 5 buttons.

For example:

Two Soldiers in the 5th Michigan company D.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o111/Johnlegg1234/1-1.jpg

tompritchett
09-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Interesting picture. To me, both of those faces look far more female than male.

hoosiersojer
09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Agreed.The one on the left looks like someone's Grandma....:mrgreen:

John Legg
09-04-2007, 11:40 AM
These guys are actually Father and Son!
Also notice the Exterior Pocket, pretty cool. Also the hat. These were called "The canada hat". The 4th michigan was also a big fan of these as well.

John

tompritchett
09-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Officially. The reality is that they could have just as easily been a mother/daughter pair. Definitely, if they showed up at a reenactment today, there definitely would be a series of "gal-troop" postings after the event. Gives you something to think about though.

jerryeberg
09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
WOO! Fourth Michigan! I tried making a Canada Hat out of an old Beret, but it looks pretty goofy. We have a pretty long forum about Canada Hats here...
http://4thmichigancoa.proboards12.com/index.cgi?board=Fire&action=display&thread=1177953423&page=1

John Legg
09-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Will eichler, Steve Boucher and I had a nice talk one day down at the WT event site. Steve said they might of found a nice photo of a guy wearing one, that was KNITTED!

I think Karin Timour Had chatted with steve about this, and said she might be able to make this work.

John

killerreb
09-06-2007, 04:22 PM
yes virginia there is a reason.........it's hollywood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

history not hollywood.....
steve hutton

Army30th
09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
....5 button sack coats in action, get a copy of "The Blue and The Gray". The Northern Army is full of them. Included are pointed lay-down collars.

jerryeberg
09-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Will eichler, Steve Boucher and I had a nice talk one day down at the WT event site. Steve said they might of found a nice photo of a guy wearing one, that was KNITTED!

I think Karin Timour Had chatted with steve about this, and said she might be able to make this work.

John

Knitted? Cool! Though the story goes that the ladies of Adrian made them for the 4th regiment, so a knitted one makes sense. I didn't know the Colonel had any interest in C-hats.

killerreb
09-07-2007, 03:51 PM
i have a very good copy of a western theater one....but were they so prevelant as hollywood would make one believe?

steve hutton

Micah Trent
09-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Also notice the Exterior Pocket, pretty cool. Also the hat. These were called "The canada hat". The 4th michigan was also a big fan of these as well.

John

I have seen this photo before when doing some research on some Michigan units a few years ago and never really paid attention to the photo, but now looking at, it does pass for a mother/daughter couple. Interesting photo however.

Parault
09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Interesting picture. To me, both of those faces look far more female than male.

Not very attractive. Not any I would want to see during closing time at the tavern. And they say "all the girls get prettier at closing time." I don't think at anytime in this case.

tompritchett
09-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Not very attractive. Not any I would want to see during closing time at the tavern. And they say "all the girls get prettier at closing time." I don't think at anytime in this case.

I don't know about that. I would not be surprised if the daughter wasn't quite attractive when she wanted to be. Have you ever seen pictures of some the supermodels when they have their hair down and no make-up on?

RJSamp
09-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Actually,

There are MANY images of State issue Fatigue Blouses, that had 5 buttons.

Yep, and I had Scott Lyndon craft a 5 button Wisconsin Fatigue Blouse.

But the movie 5 button fatigue blouses are Indian Wars Period.....take a look at the Kepi's and double trumpeter striped pants as well. (and no, Hannibal Dobb's stripes are incorrect, but his bugle is an original F Trumpet). Fort Apache and Tie A Yellow Ribbon have neat looking uniforms.....but they aren't Michigan 5 button blouses.