PDA

View Full Version : new EBay store w/CW repro items

turfwriter
09-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I thought this might be of interest -- it has period needlework books, knitting kits, and accurate reproduction clothing:

http://stores.ebay.com/Robin-Stokes-Civil-War-Clothing

Laurel Scott
141st PA Vols.

NoahBriggs
09-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Robin Stokes makes bonnets and hats and can be found at www.robinstokes.com . She is also over on the Sewing Academy Forum, shooting the breeze with the rest of us. Please drop in!

http://thesewingacademy.org/

John Legg
09-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Pretty Interesting!

I have tried Knitting, but am not good. Does the kit come with some sort of directions, or can some one make me a pair if i bought the kit and gave that someone some extra cash?

John

Spinster
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
John,

Mrs. Stokes' excellent kits come with modern knitting directions and the original period verbage.

It is assumed that the user has the basic competencies required in knitting--knit stitch, purl stitch, increase, decrease, slip stitch, yarn over, cast on, bind off, and pick up. In some of the patterns, the period design also requires the use of double pointed needles in small sizes, rather than modern straights or circulars.

Heres a good example skill levels required in how I teach knitting. When I start students off, I start them with a sampler and a scarf pattern. Over the span of 6 weeks of weekly 2 hour lessons, they learn all the stitches above, and complete a patterned scarf on modern straight needles. They also learn how to fix mistakes.

They may at this point make several scarves to practice the skill.

Then, they take a hat class--the hat is made in the round, on circular needles of a smaller gauge than the scarves. The additional skills learned in patterning and working in the round take about a month of weekly classes, and late in the process they change from circular needles to double points.

We then require the completion of several projects in double points before they can take the sock knitting/glove knitting class, done in an even finer gauge needle.

Once they have completed a matching pair of socks, I consider the knitter to be past the beginner stage, and ready to go on to making sweaters, lace, or other directed study.

If you've made several projects on straight needles, completed them, and fixed any errors made along the way, then you are ready for the scarf kits Mrs. Stokes has developed. You need to have completed a double point project on needles under size 4 to attempt a pair of socks.

turfwriter
09-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks, Noah. Yes, Robin -- who makes all my period dresses, and does a beautiful job! -- does indeed have a website as you mentioned, but one thing she does NOT make (for sale, anyway) is hats and bonnets.

I just double-checked that with her, so I know it is the case. Sorry ... :)

Laurel Scott
141st PA Vols.

John Legg
09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Mrs.Lawson,

Thank you for your information. Too bad i dont live close to you, i would take the classes!

I think ill stick with sewing for now! :)

John

ElizabethClark
09-05-2007, 08:47 AM
John, most knitting shops or fiber stores will have classes... I'm sure you could find a local shop offerring regular evening or Saturday classes. Just check your local phone book, or ask a reference librarian at your local library--most of them know an awfully lot about community resources.

chatrbug
09-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I couldnt figure out knitting until I picked up a book for kids. Its generally in with the kids learning books.. comes as a kit with knitting needles, yarn and a book. I ended up learning super quick from it. I need to pick up some new knitting needles to make me a garter.