PDA

View Full Version : Which flag to use?

first_sgt_8thky
09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I saw a newspaper article online today where a soldier's grave had been relocated. Being in VA, it surprised me to see a 7 star 1st National on his grave. VA was not represented on that flag.
This remined me of the time I put up a flagpole at a Confederate cemetery near home. All of the men there were KY cavarly. The battle happened after May of 63, so I wanted at least a 2nd National. They would only have the "politically correct" 1st National. I ordered a 13 star 1st National and put it up. I explained that these men shouldn't have a flag that they weren't represented on because KY was the 13th Confederate state. I rode my bike up there a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed to see that the flag had been replaced with a 7 star.
Why is it beside trying to be "Politically Correct", that more don't use the proper flag? The 13 star flags don't cost anymore. Plus they were used from Dec. 61 to May 63. This is the second longest time one flag was used.
Let's honor these men the right way. Use the proper flag, no matter which one it is.

TimKindred
09-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Shannon,

Why not use a period Kentucky flag? If these men were all Kentuckians, then that would seem very appropriate.

Respects,

lady reb
09-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Perhaps the grave was dedicated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the flag placed by them. The 1st Nat'l is the flag used by the UDC.Just as the battle flag is used by the SCV (Sons) .

first_sgt_8thky
09-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure about the VA thing, but I know that neither the UDC or SCV has anything to do with the cemetery here in KY. I don't have a problem with the 1st National, don't get me wrong. I just think that when it is used at a cemetery it should represent who is burried there. Hence using a 7 star 1st National should not be used for KY troops when KY was the 13th state.
Other than that, I just don't like when any 1st National is used just because it is more "Politically Correct". If someone is offended by one Confederate flag, then they should have enough sense to be offended by all of them.

TimKindred
09-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Shannon,

I'll chime in here for a moment. I am very much against the use of the battle flag for grave markers. I also don't want to see it used in any manner on flag poles, monuments, etc.

The reason is simple: It is NOT the flag of the Confederacy. It is a military flag, and nothing more. Those graves and monumnets and historic sites ought to be marked with the flag of their nation, just as Federal sites are marked with the Stars and Stripes.

We do not mark federal graves with regimental flags, or "Army" or "Navy" pattern branch flags. We use the National Colour, and that is what should be used at Confederate sites.

The only other flag that I would support is a State flag, where appropriate. For example, if all of these men interred are, as you say, from Kentucky, then a Kentucky state flag would be appropriate as well.

My opinions have nothing to do with political correctness, and everything to do with history and custom.

Military casualties rest under their national flag, not a military flag, and that is, I suggest, how the graves of these men you reference ought to be marked.

Respects,

first_sgt_8thky
09-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Tim, I agree 100% with everything you said. However I think you have missed my point. I'll try once more. You can buy 1st National Confederate Flags with different numbers of stars on them. They usually start at 7 and go up to 13, although I've seen some with 15. One with 7 stars is representing the first 7 states to secede. Then the number of stars increased with each state the left the union. Kentucky is the 13th Confederate state. So the 13 star 1st National flew from Dec, 61 to May 63. So all 2nd and 3rd National flags have 13 stars.
So, my point is that since all the men in this cemetery are from KY that they should be flying the 13 star 1st National. This way these men are represented by a star on the flag that is flying over their grave.
As far as Kentucky flags, there is no surviving example of a KY Confederate state flag.
I hope I cleared up any confusion.

Hardtack Herring
09-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Use a Kentucky State Flag or a Confederate National Flag.

tompritchett
09-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Use a Kentucky State Flag or a Confederate National Flag.

Are you suggesting the 2nd National Flag as an alternative since this whole thread started on the issue on which 1rst National Flag was appropriate to be flown over the grave of Kentuckians that fought for the Confederacy?

Micah Trent
09-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Shannon,

It may not help, but you might find it interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_government_of_Kentucky

Enjoy!

Micah Trent
10-11-2007, 08:42 AM
It's been so quiet down here in this section...you can hear the cricketts chirpping. Last post down here was 9/09/07...lol;)

ewtaylor
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Shannon,
Most people don't know the histories of the Confederate flags. The following website is a must for such a conversation. As long as these men have a CS flag over their gravesites I don't see any problem.

http://www.confederateflags.org/national/FOTCs_b.htm

ew taylor

jgr1974
10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Politicaly correct, or historically correct??? You Have a decision to make. The first National is greatly unrecognized as being Confederate to the general public. I think It is the pretiest flag the Confederacy had. However, the third National is the last official flag adopted by the Confederate Congress. So In my opinion is the one to be used. American soldiers no matter which era they fought in are today decorated with the 50 star American flag, which was the last accepted by "our" Congress.

My two bits!!!

The Mad MIck!!!