PDA

View Full Version : As new as they come (help)

Chef Kurt
08-31-2007, 11:40 PM
not knowing where to get started. Live in the Syracuse NY area, looking to join a Confederate Unit. Any or all ideas are needed to get started. Looking to participate at Gettysburg. Looked into the equipment at regimental quartermaster,inc. Just need some advise in becoming a active member.
thank you
Kurt

Rob Weaver
09-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Sent you a PM.

Frenchie
09-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Kurt,

The Search function on this forum will show you a lot of good information on various subjects. Ditto for the Authentic Campaigner forum, and there is an Approved Vendors section and Research Articles there as well.

If you're a reader, there are some compendiums of articles available:

The Hardcracker Handbook is out of print but you might be able to get a copy of it by asking. It's aimed (IIRC) at Confederate impressions.

The Campaigner College Handbook http://www.geocities.com/saltriverrifles/page3 and the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium http://www.columbiarifles.org/crhandbook.htm are full of great information.

MDConfederate
09-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Kurt, my father in law is a member of a Confederate unit based in the Rochester, NY area. I think they are the 26th NC, Co. G. My father in law writes their newsletter, so he would be a good person to contact. If you are interested, send me an email at winderranger@comcast.net and I will help you get in touch with them.

John A. Wyman

Kevin O'Beirne
09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
The Hardcracker Handbook is out of print but you might be able to get a copy of it by asking. It's aimed (IIRC) at Confederate impressions.

For what it's worth, Cal Kinzer's "Hardcracker Handbook" was geared primarily toward "Western" Federal infantry portrayals. Perhaps you're referring instead to Tom Czekanski's 1998 "Third Mississippi Camp of Instruction" handbook, which was sort of a "Western" Confederate (in part) companion to the "Hardcracker Handbook".

Kevin O'Beirne
09-10-2007, 10:57 AM
The 26th NCT in the Rochester, NY area is one of the better Confederate groups in central and western New York State.

If you're POTENTIALLY interested in the Federal side, consider contacting the Syracuse-area Salt Boiler Mess (which has dual US and CS infantry portrayals) or the US-only 122nd New York. If interested in contact info for each one, please drop me an e-mail at the address in my signature line just below.