PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to the Vendors

NoahBriggs
08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
We, the medical historians, afictionados, EMTs, Chemists, Followers of the Cult of Askleipios, outright Geeks, &c, in order to provide a more correct Interpretation, establish Accuracy, provide for the simulated Health Care of the Original Cast, and to secure the Knowledge to Educate the Public, do ordain and establish an open Request to you.

For Years we have relied upon one Vendor for Reproduction Instruments of the Surgical Arts, or from the Creations of Original Kits from Centuries Past, the Scrounging from Unusual and Unorthodox Sources in which we seek the correct containers, and likewise our own imaginations to fill whatever Gaps there may be in the Research at large.

The Cult of Asklepios continues to grow with the inclusions of many more members to our ranks - Men and Women determined to DO IT RIGHT - whose contributions and advice to each other continue to circulate in this Conference.

We beseech Thee, the mighty VENDORS, to come forth to Us and work with Us to create Variety and Competition in Items needed, including, but not limited to - Surgical, Dental, Pharmaceutical, Administrative, &c. so that we may continue to acheive the Goal to Educate the Public and let us have Fun. We feel with Competition the Prices shall be fair and allow Us to FLOURISH. As the Market we pledge to work with those VENDORS in an Effort to create accurate GOODS which we will Purchase with great Enthusiasm.

Only a few Vendors have answered this Call. There should be More; the Art of Medicine and the Material Culture it implies is an untapped commercial Ore.

This is merely a casual Thought, ripe for Harvesting.

cjdaley
08-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Noah,

I think you've just taken your first step into a larger world...

How about starting your own business to provide these goods? Who better to serve those who portray medical impressions than one of their own?

TimKindred
08-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Chris, Noah, et al,

At the moment, I am giving serious thought to starting a medical purveyor's business. There is a need of specific medical stores, made to a high quality, and I suspect that, until someone actually steps up and starts producing some items and offering them to the available market, that most of the "regulars" in the manufacturing end will be happy to sit back and wait and see.

The biggest hurdles, at present, are money and research. I have located a tinsmith, who is perfectly willing to produce some needed items based upon my research. I can personally produce medical knapsacks, medicines, labels, bandages, tourniquets, and other expendable medical stores. I have located a source for several glass containers. It's the up-front capital and the access to original items that, at present, is causing me to act with caustion.

Most likely, I will start up with a few items over the winter, allowing folks to acquire some needed items, for the upcoming season(s), and then use the funds derived to move into other supportive lines.

I am NOT interested in producing clothing, or other uniform items. I am not looking to compete, per se, with any of the established vendors. However, I see a need for such items as books, labels, hospital envelopes and statioary, and other such paper items. medicines and other disposables, sutures and pins, and identifying items such as ambulance corps armbands, haversacks and medical knapsacks and perhaps litters.

Anyway, that's the plan. It's all in the planning stage at the moment, and it could all very well be shelved for quite a while. But I figured I'd toss this out now since you have placed a call for supporting props and other medical falderal of a historically-correct and useful type.

I'll keep you all posted.

Respects,

Marc
08-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Tim Kindred-Time man of the year-turns hobby business into multi million dollar business that rivals Microsoft and Bill Gates.

Navy Veteran funds foundation for CW veteran re-enactors with profits from reproduction civil war medical supplies business.

TimKindred
08-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Tim Kindred-Time man of the year-turns hobby business into multi million dollar business that rivals Microsoft and Bill Gates.

Navy Veteran funds foundation for CW veteran re-enactors with profits from reproduction civil war medical supplies business.

Ummmmm.... yeah, okay :) heh.

Actually, I can't wait to see if I get raided by the FDA or the State for being an unlicensed medical supplier....... :rolleyes:

But yeah, establishing a retirement community for aging reenactors might be an interesting gambit. Housing by time periods, etc. sigh....

Respects,

Ephraim_Zook
08-30-2007, 09:08 AM
I think Tim, Marc and I may have a leg up on this retirement thing.

"A crutch, a crutch! why call you for a sword?"
Romeo & Juliette, Old Lady Capulet to her aged spouse

cjdaley
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Chris, Noah, et al,

At the moment, I am giving serious thought to starting a medical purveyor's business.

Having seen your knapsacks and other goods in the past I have no doubt that what ever you put your name on will be well researched and very authentic.

If you need any help or advice on the topsy turvy world of sutlers row, please let me know, I'm more than happy to help out a new comer to the business end of the hobby.

BobSullivanPress
08-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Chris, Noah, et al,

However, I see a need for such items as books, labels, hospital envelopes and statioary, and other such paper items...

Well, I have the infrastructure in place to manufacture all of this stuff, but I have never seen copies of originals to use for the prototypes. I have produced a great deal of Confederate Hospital stuff (mainly used in the Movie Cold Mountain but left on the editing room floor evidently) that has never seen the light of the reenacting day.

I've seen a great deal of hospital stuff, wound cards, treatment cards, tables of nutrition, returns of patients, etc., (all reproduced for the movie), but not much surgeon stuff. If you want surgeon forms and books, let me know.

TimKindred
08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Bob,

I think that I can safely speak for all when I say that whatever you offer up would be scarfed up. Your work is really good.

Respects,