PDA

View Full Version : Seeking civilian groups or unit in SW Michigan, NW Indiana, and toward Chicago areas

Past Times Studios
08-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Good evening everyone!

I am seeking civilian groups and/or units who also have civilians in the general areas of SW Michigan, NW Indiana, and toward Chicago, Illinois who would welcome a newbie to CW reenacting and are seeking new members. For the past seven years I have been active in another organization which attempts to recreate another time period. I was my local group's Arts & Sciences officer. I decided that perhaps I would like to expand, make more friends, and do some additional time hopping, but am not leaving them. :grin:

I live in extreme SW Michigan, extremely near the Indiana border, so am seeking people and groups reasonably near here that I may consider joining. Most inklings of possible units/groups seem to be at least 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours each way from this area, if not more. Some cities and towns nearby include South Bend/Mishawaka (IN) (1 hour away), Michigan City (IN) (30 minutes), La Porte (IN) (30 minutes), St. Joseph/Benton Harbor (MI) (45 minutes), Berrien Springs (MI) (1 hour), Portage/Kalamazoo (MI) (apox. 1 1/2 hours), and Chicago's loop district (IL) (1 1/2 - 2 hours with good weather and no traffic). The immediate area consists of several small towns.

If there are such groups who would welcome newcomer civilian members please send me their contact information, details, websites, meeting information, etc. as may be available.

Some of my artistic skills include photography and decoration of porcelains/china (aka: china painting) (e.g., painting, lustering, and gilding upon fine porcelains), sewing, and embroidery. Some of my photos are currently for sale in a local art gallery. (Gee, I sure hope they sell. :-?) I recently created Past Times Studios especially for my photography services first and also the china painting. According to my grandmother, our family has been involved in china painting for numerous generations.

Also, has anyone heard of groups who are reenacting the 1870s through 1900-1910? If so, I would also appreciate contact information for those groups and people.

Thank you.

Darcy

1stWiscTrooper
08-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Darcy, if you are interested in getting into authentic "hardcore" civilian reenacting, then the Citizens of the Old Northwest Volunteers is where you will want to look. The CON is a sister organization to the military based Old Northwest Volunteers. We are out of the midwest, mainly Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa, but have members from other states. Here is a link to the CON, and also a link to the ONV site.

http://civilian.oldnorthwestvols.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

www.oldnorthwestvols.org

Hard Head Tom
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Darcy,

I would echo Dan's suggestion about the Citizens of the Old Northwest. A real nice group of individuals whom do an excellent job a creating an accurate impression of the men and women of the 1860's.

I can attest to their portrayals as they were a key component to our initial living history of the Park City Grays in August of 2006 and again this summer.

I know I have recommended several interested individuals over the past year to seek out members of this group if they want to share in an accurate experience in the Old Northwest.

Good luck in finding a home,

Tom