PDA

View Full Version : The perpetual question...

lady reb
08-28-2007, 06:03 AM
Does anyone know if Jeff Shara's last Full Measure is going to be made into a movie?

hoosiersojer
08-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Hello Debra,

All I know is..if you go to Ron Maxwell's website and click on the Upcoming Projects link,they say the following:

Additional information on "Last Full Measure" will be posted on this page as the project advances.

Not much info to go on,I know,but it sounds to me as if the film is still in the works.At least in the minds of Maxwell and his team.This is somewhat good news in that,at least they haven't officially anounced the dismantlement(is that even a word?) of the project entirely.Unlike some on these boards,I happen to love his last two WBTS flicks,and really look forward to this third installment.There can never be too many Civil War films...,dont'cha know?

With Best Regards,

FranklinGuardsNYSM
08-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Can't wait to see the people who were already 20 years too old to be in the first one, then become 30 years too old to be in the second-but-earlier one, appear in the third one...

Don't hold your breath. The Shaara website politely says nothing's in the works, and Mr. Shaara himself was a bit more blunt about it verbally when visiting a store in America's Farbiest Town a couple years ago.

reb4lee
08-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I agree. What I heard is that when Gods and general did crappy in the box office they dropped the plans for the third one.

OVI
08-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Mr Maxwell spent 90 million of Ted Turners money to make "Gods & Generals". The much awaited "prequel" to "Gettysburg" was horribly received and was a monumental box office failure. It made back only 12 million. Do the math. No one is going to front Maxwell money again for the third installment based on those figures. After seeing what a horrible mess G&G was, I for one am thankful.

Kent Dorr
"Devils Own Mess"

tompritchett
08-28-2007, 09:42 PM
No one is going to front Maxwell money again for the third installment based on those figures.

The million dollar question (literally) is if someone will front someone else to make the third installment.

bill watson
08-29-2007, 07:10 AM
They fell into one of the traps we fall into. Rather than a good movie about one particular interesting thing, or one particular personal experience across four years like Gone with the Wind, they opted for a panoramic view of the war in three takes, through the experiences of a few top people. We do the same thing at reenactments sometimes, trying to show more than we actually have the resources to depict. Doesn't work, either way. Becomes the Classics Illustrated comicbook abridged version of history, either way. From drama to comics: Not the way to a blockbuster experience.

wjw

sbl
08-29-2007, 08:08 AM
The Longest Day vs. Saving Private Ryan. But both of these were good.

lady reb
08-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Today I've been thinking about the replies to my question about making "Last Full Measure". I agree with the reader who said that speaking about CW movies almost always leads to bashing G&G. I dislike that.I guess it depends on your goals in this avocation. My goal is to get the public interested in their own heritage (hopefully it is Southern-but whatever;) and in the Civil War period of history. Lord knows in this politically correct era it is hard to do even that. So if a movie or book does that I am pleased. Admittedly, authenticity is very important. But I feel that takes a back seat to developing the curiosity and interest of a person in the first place. I fear that sometimes the "hard core" segment of our re-enactors sometimes lose sight of the trees b/c of the forrest of being totally authentic. I think if a person becomes interested in the history and does any reading they will learn for themselves about what is true to life. That's my soapbox and I'm sticking to it.:smile:

OVI
08-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Imagine how many people would've become interested in the history of the Civil War if "Gods & Generals" had been a good movie?
Authenticity aside, GAG is a horrible movie and reenactors need to understand the damage its failure has done. If GAG had been good, a new surge in CW study would've been forthcoming and as a by product, more folks would've been interested in reenacting as a hobby. Instead, the ranks are thinning and Hollywood's interest in CW movies is pretty limited.

Kent Dorr
"Devils Own Mess"

8thILCavalry
08-29-2007, 04:20 PM
There is many out there that has enjoyed GAG. It is a matter of opinion. I myself would of loved to have 2 more Hours of the movie so we can see more battles. It is nothing but entertainment, If we try and make it a history tool, then stick with Ken Burns Civil War Documentery.

As for the Last Full Measure I would LOVE to see it done. But to the point of more of a movie like Saving Private Ryan and not like watching a reenactment. And not based on a hand full of characters just speaking like a hand full of quotes.

tompritchett
08-29-2007, 05:50 PM
But to the point of more of a movie like Saving Private Ryan and not like watching a reenactment. And not based on a hand full of characters just speaking like a hand full of quotes.

I think that you have just stated why so many, especially non-reenactors, did not like GAG.

sbl
08-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Brian,

"There is many out there that has enjoyed GAG." Sure, me too, but in the way I enjoyed MST3K versions of movies.

I read Last Full Measure and G&G and to tell the truth the books haven't stayed with me the way Killer Angels still does.

A screen writer could just take the title "Last Full Measure" and make a film the way they took Ian Fleming titles and make really good James Bond films w/o actually doing the original story. (the later films)

This may be what you're suggesting.

Say...how about having the guys that did 300 do Last Full Measure?

flattop32355
08-29-2007, 06:01 PM
GAG is a horrible movie and reenactors need to understand the damage its failure has done.

Concerning the general public, I'm not sure that it did damage so much as it just didn't spark any additional or continuing interest to keep up the momentum established by Gettysburg and the Burns series.

Something that I've not seen addressed much when discussing G&G compared to G'burg is that the latter did not first appear as a movie; it was originally a miniseries on television. When it was released later as a movie in theaters, I don't think it did so well there (particularly since it had already been seen by many). Plus, in viewing it all in one sitting, you suddenly became aware of the many loooooooong and tedious monologues, which were repeated in G&G to its detriment.

I'm still of the opinion that a movie based on the battle at Shiloh would be about the best possible one to make, for multiple reasons. Just leave out the boring speaches, and for heaven's sake don't make it a love story with the battle as background!

OVI
08-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Concerning the general public, I'm not sure that it did damage so much as it just didn't spark any additional or continuing interest to keep up the momentum established by Gettysburg and the Burns series.

Something that I've not seen addressed much when discussing G&G compared to G'burg is that the latter did not first appear as a movie; it was originally a miniseries on television. When it was released later as a movie in theaters, I don't think it did so well there (particularly since it had already been seen by many). Plus, in viewing it all in one sitting, you suddenly became aware of the many loooooooong and tedious monologues, which were repeated in G&G to its detriment.

I'm still of the opinion that a movie based on the battle at Shiloh would be about the best possible one to make, for multiple reasons. Just leave out the boring speaches, and for heaven's sake don't make it a love story with the battle as background!

Bernie....I dont think you are correct about the release of Gettysburg. It was meant to be a tv miniseries but it became a film release instead. I dont remember it ever running as a mini series. IIRC, it didnt do great at the box office but it didnt do poorly either.

Kent Dorr
"Devils Own Mess"

tompritchett
08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
I dont remember it ever running as a mini series.

Interestingly enough, I remember watching it as a TNT min-series but have no memory of it being at the box office.

Fenian
08-30-2007, 06:02 AM
:D It was in the Theater alright but if you sneezed you missed it! limited venues and various other issues! Bud Scully 13th NJ and 69th NY

sbl
08-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Yes, it was in theaters. My wife and I took a day off to go into Boston to see it. Mostly male audience. It was the first time my wife didn't experience a line to the ladies' room. My wife used to be an NPS Ranger at G-burg and pointed out the "real" locations to me.

VA Soldier
08-30-2007, 11:26 AM
How about we agree to disagree....everyone knows the saying about opinions and how everyone's got one.

There will be people who like movie's and those who do not some for the same reasons.

Even now, I find watching G'burg laborious at best, I find myself drifting off and losing interest for whatever reason it doesn't captivate me. On the other hand I have no trouble sitting through G&G, involved and interested the entire time, maybe its the slighty better portrayal of Confederate forces, maybe its the stark contrast one can see between the north and south as you follow both Jackson and Chamberlain.
As a history teacher to be, I can see more valuable use of G&G than G'burg in the class, especially if I want to show the drilling of troops, the large panoramic scenes help to show off the enormity of the war. It highlights some of the tension at the outset as you the see the VMI cadets wrestling over the flag.

There was good and bad in both movies, any time hollywood does anything there are going to be inaccuracies and part of the reason movies are not made more accurate is the cost of production. How many threads and comments have there been on the use of more accurate and higher priced equipment over the run of the mill sutler row quality?

As far as a surge of interest, I don't really remember a surge following G'burg after watching it on TNT, where as there was newspaper and media coverage of the opening of G&G in the local theatre. Was G'burg or G&G 100% authentic, no of course not, but neither are the multiple cars in camp, the plastice containers, the aluminum cans, and half a dozen other things that one might witness at any event. (by the by that goes for the campaigners as well as mainstreamers)

Now that I have had a chance to ramble on a bit, I will get off my stump with a simple reminder, There will always be someone who has a different opinion of what is good and bad, and while the arguments will continue, focus on the positives, both showed off aspects of the CW, both gave a little more to the public than what was out there, and if someone shows up to an event, he or she can be properly educated, lets just hope they run into someone who knows what they are talking about, is patient enough to educate the unknowing and not give them a half hour rant on why these movies are not accurate.

D. Jackson

sbl
08-30-2007, 12:01 PM
"...maybe its the stark contrast one can see between the north and south as you follow both Jackson and Chamberlain."

Well sure! Jackson has a pretty loving wife and the sun is always shining and the kids are cute. Chamberlain's home is gloomy with troubled wife. Union officers are in dark scenes looking like Imperial Romans...I could go on.

7thNJcoA
08-30-2007, 01:17 PM
As far as reenactors go.... Im not sure they will be able to get as many reenactors for this film b/c of G&G. I for one would only do it if the pay was good and I could get good deals on the movie props after filming! This is a good way to get some neat cheap gear!

billwatson2
08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
"I fear that sometimes the "hard core" segment of our re-enactors sometimes lose sight of the trees b/c of the forrest of being totally authentic."

By far the majority of objections have had nothing to do with authenticity, but with the film maker's uncanny ability to take such a pivotal event as the Civil War, filled with suspense, horror, excitement, heroes, cowards and clowns, and somehow turn it into Gumby Does Richmond. Not even trying to spot people I knew could keep me in front of the screen.

Here's the other thing: History is real, and it's really exciting, even when it's sometimes almost unbelievable. By fictionalizing it, the film makers were left with this problem, pointed out originally by Truman Capote: the difference between reality and fiction is that fiction has to be plausible. And if you have to make what really happened plausible, you're well on the road to homogenizing, sanitizing and otherwise taming down some truly amazing stuff.

Contrast the bland story told in G&G with the stories told in Widow of the South, which is fiction based on real incidents. That's one heck of a book and it would make a powerful movie if they don't trick it up.

G&G was just a bad movie. It had nothing to do with the uniforms or any of that. It's a shame. Had it succeeded maybe there would be more, and more money from the "bulk purchase of reenactor time" to pour into historic preservation. That's the real loss.

VA Soldier
08-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Here's the other thing: History is real, and it's really exciting, even when it's sometimes almost unbelievable.

Contrast the bland story told in G&G with the stories told in Widow of the South,

First off, History, being the study of the past, is only as accurate as the latest research...being as how there are huge gapes in what has been recorded there can be wide ranging interpretations on what is and is not fact. Secondly, not all history is exciting, I mean if we were to do a 100% accurate Movie of the civil war, the majority of it would show men in camp, drilling and dieing of disease with a marching and the occasional battle sprinkled in. Not many people outside of history lovers and cw buffs want to watch hours of camp life.

That being said, G&G tryed to show several different aspects of war at the same time, which can be a shortcoming. By focusing on personal stories it highlighted some aspects of the characters that might otherwise go unnotticed. e.g. the piety of Jackson which a lot of people are unaware of. He is one of the people required by VA SOL's to be studied when going over the war, showing just some of the clips of Jackson would be a wonderful way to bring the man to life for the students.

The transition that Chamberlain goes through from College professor to military officer is a wonderful piece. It spotlights the process of militirization and the use of the Sgt highlights the use of NCO's and the position they played.

With all this, still the people who didn't like the movie, will continue not to like it and the ones who did shall keep on keeping on. I would like to see someone come along and finish the set out and make "The Last Full Measure". Maybe they can learn from the mistakes of G&G and tone it down a notch and not try to do so much.

D. Jackson

flattop32355
08-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Bernie....I dont think you are correct about the release of Gettysburg. It was meant to be a tv miniseries but it became a film release instead. I dont remember it ever running as a mini series. IIRC, it didnt do great at the box office but it didnt do poorly either.

I believe I'm correct on this one. Gettysburg played out on TNT as a miniseries before it was re-released as a full length theater movie.

7thNJcoA
08-30-2007, 08:12 PM
it aired on tnt like only 3 months after the motion picture but the movie didnt play in alot of places becuase people werent very interested in sitting through a long history flick well thats how alot see it of course we all know it by heart!

lady reb
08-31-2007, 07:09 AM
I think VA soldier gets my meaning about the movie. Thanks!

sbl
08-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Dear Debra,

Huh?