PDA

View Full Version : Uniform of NC soldier for upcoming event

sigman
08-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I am looking for help as to a correct North Carolina impression circa 1863. My best photo source to date has been "Echos of Glory" There are some photos of a sack coat and shell jacket. It is well known that the NC soldier was fairly well supplied.

The reason I ask is that my unit is working to put together the 145th Anniversary Battle of Bristoe Station in early October 2008, to be held on a property in South Jersey. We are just waiting on the go ahead to use a piece of county property.

The event would pit 1st DE., 12th NJ & 125th NY against Cooke's Bde. of North Carolinians. And would feature Ame's Federal artillery battery and McIntosh's Confederate Battery. Battle would be for public Saturday only concluding with a tactical Sunday morning. Cap would be 300 troops per side, 4 guns per side, and could accomodate 30 civilians per side.

Registration would be maximum of $5.00 per participant. Any profit going to preservation. Half to a sesesh cause, half to a Union cause.

Full details pending getting use of property offered by county officials.

Andy Siganuk asiganuk@comcast.net

Dignann
08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Andy,

Interesting. Some fellows from my unit are working with the park on a living history for next October and we have been looking into the uniforms of Cooke's Brigade.

A little research can go a long way. From what we have found, imported goods, including uniforms, may very well have been prevalent.

Eric

sigman
08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks Eric! Your fellows looking at a park in Camden County , NJ? Regards, Andy

Dignann
08-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Your fellows looking at a park in Camden County , NJ?
No, we're looking at the park on the battlefield.

Eric

Cornfed
08-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Andy,

Here's some of the things that I have so far about the appearance of Cooke's brigade at Bristoe Station in October 1863:

John R. Cooke's Brigade was finely equipped and thoroughly drilled. Moreover, Cooke had not been at Gettysburg so his brigade was large and also psychologically unaffected by that tragic defeat. Jed Hotchkiss who served on Ewell's staff in the Bristoe Campaign referred to Cooke's Brigade as "probably one of the finest brigades that ever came to the army."... A few days back following the arrival of the North Carolina state owned blockade runner Ad-Vance the pride of the state's fleet in the port of Wilmington this excellent and large brigade had received new uniforms made in England. The men were proud of their grey jackets and blue trousers. As the men formed for the advance, anticipating combat, most of the men in Cooke's Brigade took off their fresh uniforms and placed them in their knapsacks. They donned their old tattered clothing for the hard work ahead. -- The Road to Bristoe Station: Campaigning With Lee and Meade, August 1 - October 20, 1863, by William D. Henderson.

"One incident of this fight I will mention, which shows the coolness of some men under all circumstances. We had just drawn new clothing -- gray jackets and blue pants -- and our men, anxious to keep their clothing bright and new, had most of them put on their old clothes during the march, and had them on at this fight. As we were falling back up the hill, Private Laughinghouse, of Compnay E, from Pitt county, finding his knapsack too heavy, determined to throw it away, but as he did not wish to lose his new clothes -- having his old ones on -- he stopped, changed clothes under this heavy fire, and then picking up his blanket and gun, made his way up the hill unhurt." -- James A. Graham [Captain, Company G], "Twenty-Seventh Regiment" in Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina int the Great War, 1861-1865, Vol. II, Walter Clark, ed. (Goldsboro, N.C.: Nash Brothers, 1905) p. 444.

R. Thomas Campbell in The Blockade Runner Advance, Oct 2006, states, "Within a month (following the purchase of the steamer), with Englishman Joannes Wylie signed on as her sailing master, Crossan had the Advance plowing her way across the North Atlantic toward the Confederacy. On 28 June 1863, with the red, white, and blue banner of North Carolina whipping from her mast, she steamed up the Cape Fear River and docked at the quarantine station about 15-mi below the port of Wilmington. Throughout the city, the news was out, "the Advance had arrived!” John White, NC state agent in England, provides this description of the ship’s cargo, "purchased approximately 250 tons of assorted war supplies. These included over 273,000 yards of gray cloth and flannel, 25,887 pairs of gray blankets, 37,092 pairs of woolen socks, 26,096 pairs of army shoes, 530 pairs of cavalry boots, almost 10,000 shirts, and large quantities of cotton and wool cards necessary for clothing manufacturing. One-half of this vital cargo was immediately loaded on the Advance and, under the command of Col. Thomas M. Crossan, it sailed for Wilmington, NC." - Dixie Gentlemanly Capitalism: Studies in British Finance of the Confederacy by Michael L. Weisel, thesis paper submitted to the graduate faculty of the NC State Univ., 2003.

R. Thomas Campbell in The Blockade Runner Advance, Oct 2006, states, "In her cavernous hold were tons of gray cloth for uniforms and cotton cards for the looms of the dedicated women of North Carolina.”

I am looking for help as to a correct North Carolina impression circa 1863. My best photo source to date has been "Echos of Glory" There are some photos of a sack coat and shell jacket. It is well known that the NC soldier was fairly well supplied.

The reason I ask is that my unit is working to put together the 145th Anniversary Battle of Bristoe Station in early October 2008, to be held on a property in South Jersey. We are just waiting on the go ahead to use a piece of county property.

The event would pit 1st DE., 12th NJ & 125th NY against Cooke's Bde. of North Carolinians. And would feature Ame's Federal artillery battery and McIntosh's Confederate Battery. Battle would be for public Saturday only concluding with a tactical Sunday morning. Cap would be 300 troops per side, 4 guns per side, and could accomodate 30 civilians per side.

Registration would be maximum of $5.00 per participant. Any profit going to preservation. Half to a sesesh cause, half to a Union cause.

Full details pending getting use of property offered by county officials.

Andy Siganuk asiganuk@comcast.net

Anders
08-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey Andy,

Be glad to help you out- drop me a call sometime.

Garrison Beall
08-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Here, look over the best and what they have to offer.

http://www.northstaterifles.com/impression1.htm

The May uniform resembles Graham's description. http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/MOH/vfpcgi.exe?IDCFile=/moh/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=56357,DATABASE=79215237,
Please note that the blue trousers are NOT federal...not even close.

RJSamp
08-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Here, look over the best and what they have to offer.

http://www.northstaterifles.com/impression1.htm

The May uniform resembles Graham's description. http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/MOH/vfpcgi.exe?IDCFile=/moh/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=56357,DATABASE=79215237,
Please note that the blue trousers are NOT federal...not even close.

Awesome pictures/impressions! Thanks.

sigman
08-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Great info. from my initial enquiry so far. Thanks all. Great insight "Cornfed", thanks Phil. Chris, I will call you after Sept. Storm.

Regards to all for your help, Andy Siganuk