PDA

View Full Version : How to Use Quotes

Sgt_Pepper
08-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I've noticed many posters don't quite understand the use of the quotation feature. It is a simple function of Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML).

If you want to include the original text when you reply to a post, the simplest thing to do is click on the symbol in the lower right hand corner of the post with the word "Quote". This will give you a text editing window that includes the original text between two HTML commands. They look like this: "QUOTE=Sgt_Pepper" (the open quote command) and "/QUOTE" (the close quote command), but with square brackets ([ ]) instead of quotation marks. When HTML commands are placed inside a pair of brackets, HTML naturally interprets them as commands.

Among other minor points, the HTML used in this particular forum's application software automatically places the screen name of the author of the text after the equal sign (=) in the opening quote command. Using the commands and format shown above, HTML displays the quoted text in a special box, thus:

this is the quoted text

The equal sign and screen name are not mandatory. Leaving them out results in this:

this is the quoted text

The editing functions allow you to delete any part of the original text you don't want to include in your reply. They also allow you to break up the block of quoted text so you can reply to individual points. For example:

This is the first sentence of quoted text. This is the second sentence of quoted text.

By typing or cutting and pasting, we can insert a close quote command at the end of the first sentence and an open quote command at the beginning of the second sentence, and get this:

This is the first sentence of quoted text.

This is the second sentence of quoted text.

Now we can add our own reply text between them.

I hope this helps those who have had trouble with quoting text from other posts. Please feel free to ask questions about this or any other HTML editing function found at the top of the editing window.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
08-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Hallo!

So easy, a caveman can use it? ;-) :-0

[QUOTE=Sgt_Pepper]I've noticed many posters don't quite understand the use of the quotation feature. It is a simple function of Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML).[QUOTE]

Thanks!

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
Luddite Mess
Proud Member of the Computer Illiterate Rifles

No actual cavemen were harmed duirng the writing of this post, or attempt to use the QUOTE feature. Although one or two Luddites like myself may have been inadvertantly embarrassed.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
08-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Hallo!

So easy, a caveman can use it? :-0

I've noticed many posters don't quite understand the use of the quotation feature. It is a simple function of Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML).

Thanks!

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
Luddite Mess
Proud Member of the Computer Illiterate Rifles

No actual cavemen were harmed duirng the writing of this post, or attempt to use the QUOTE feature. Although one or two Luddites like myself may have been inadvertantly embarrassed.

tompritchett
08-25-2007, 10:31 PM
BTW, if some of you are wondering why your posts get editted in the Military Conferences, errors in using the quote functions will almost also result in my fixing them once I find them.