PDA

View Full Version : Cannons get another shot

sbl
04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
The captain of The Fifth New Hampshire Voluteers sent me this link from the Concord Monitor...

http://cmimg.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CM&Date=20060420&Category=REPOSITORY&ArtNo=604200357&Ref=AR&border=0&MaxW=240

Worth hundreds of thousands
Cannons get another shot Long-forgotten weapons will be put on display
By ERIC MOSKOWITZ
Monitor staff

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060420/REPOSITORY/604200357

Frenchie_2006
04-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Way cool. These things need to be out there where they will do good. Thanks for the links!

cblodg
04-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Gents;

I must say that I'm not surprised by this. New Hampshire isn't known as a state that likes to hold on to its historical objects. No state money; of course not, as long as they don't have to foot the bill legislators are more than willing to pass any bill.

Frenchie you should see the absolute deplorable condition our Regimental Colors are that are displayed in the "Hall of Flags" at the state house. Everyone is so proud to have them, yet when it comes to preserving them, no one wants to foot the bill.

I've sent money to help with the colors, i'll send what I can for these cannon.

Also, the reporters clearly don't know that the plural form for multiple guns is just cannon, not cannons.

Chris

cblodg
04-21-2006, 10:03 PM
here you may read up on the colors and what has been done so far.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/visitorcenter/flag/Save%20the%20Colors.htm

Chris

Frenchie_2006
04-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Also, the reporters clearly don't know that the plural form for multiple guns is just cannon, not cannons.

Chris

What 99% of all reporters know about weapons of any kind couldn't fill a thimble more than half way. And I note with despair that their knowledge of the English language seems to be just as deplorable - I positively wince when I hear "co-conspirator", for example.

Miss L
04-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Chris:

I was at the Capitol on the 17th. The fact that we have the flags is remarkable; their condition is, as you say, deplorable. One cannon, at least, would make a wonderful addition to the other items on display there.

This community knows from the years of work in battlefield preservation that education is the first step in raising awareness, commitment and funds.

As you're aware, legislators don't 'foot the bill', the citizens do, and I haven't exactly heard a great hue and cry rising from the masses to demand the preservation of these artifacts.

That said, how many groups are there in NH who'd be interested and willing to take on this project and perhaps plan an educational / fundraising event to save the flags and restore the cannon? There aren't exactly large numbers of CW related events in New England in general; so would any of NH's neighbors be interested in assisting with an effort of this sort?

Just my 2 cents - hoping to spark some discussion and ideas....

FWL
04-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Chris:

That said, how many groups are there in NH who'd be interested and willing to take on this project and perhaps plan an educational / fundraising event to save the flags and restore the cannon? There aren't exactly large numbers of CW related events in New England in general; so would any of NH's neighbors be interested in assisting with an effort of this sort?

Just my 2 cents - hoping to spark some discussion and ideas....

Linda there is a healthy but small reeanctment commuity here in Mass. I'm sure many of us would like to pitch in and help raise some funds to preserve these cannon (no S per Mr. Frenchie). Some of the umbrella groups that you may want to contact are the New England Brigade and the Liberty Greys. After all many of us travel down south to attend events and raise money for Battlefield Preservation (McDowell, Rich Mountain, Antietam LH 2003).

Frank Lilley
Massachusetts
Detached Invalid Corps

cblodg
04-26-2006, 10:04 AM
the 6th New Hampshire had considered trying to put together an event like they have in Tunbridge Vetmont (History Expo). But we quickly found out how much work was needed. Not that some of us were not willing to do it, just waaay too much time needed and basing alot on other units to commit to a new event.

One of our lads just started doing a tacticle event, pretty much on his own, but I believe that 6th has tried to support as much as possible. We're doing it again this year, but the loads of planning that go into an event, even a small one, is too much for one unit to tackle on their own.

Chris

Miss L
04-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Gents:

Will wonders never cease?

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060427/REPOSITORY/604270311

captdougofky
04-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Cannon barrels last a long time even setting on the floor, those flags are a different story. someone up there or group needs to make this happen. Civil War round table, SUV maybe. I hope someone takes it on, they cannot be replace.

Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

cblodg
04-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Gents and Ladies;

I just finished a twenty page thesis paper dealing with the New Hampshire regiments at Gettysburg (all except for the 1st NH Light Artillery).

I'm planning on submitting it to the Concord Monitor, in the hopes that they might be able to do a two parter series about these brave fighting men. With any luck, it might spur public interest in a cause that is certainly just.

Chris

cblodg
04-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Doug;

I think the only problem right now is the organizer for the funds doesn't want to go to big corporate sponsors. He's hoping the good people of New Hampshire will donate enough money to get it done.

All, if you'd like to help, you may send what ever you can to:

FLAG Initiative
State House Visitors' Center
Room 119
Concord, NH, 03301

checks made out to "Flag Restoration and Care Fund"

I know its probably wrong to ask for money from those on the board, but every little bit helps.

most humbly;

Chris