PDA

View Full Version : Re-inacting questions

TrooperRandy
04-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Hello troopers! I have a deep interest in the Civil War, and have some Re-inacting gear. I have a Confederate grey leather keppy, a rifle made by parris company in Savannah GA, and I have the Confederate coat. What else should I purchase for Re-inacting?
Randy

MStuart
04-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Randy:

One of your first steps right now should be to stop and take a deep breath before purchasing anything else. Then find a unit to your liking and contact them. Look, see, feel, listen, learn.......then get a mentor to help you with research and purchases. You'll save lots of $$ that way.

There'll be more to chime in and offer advice from this board also. In the 3 minutes I have right now, that's my best advice. Watch the board and take the advice of many who've been in your shoes before.

Mark

sbl
04-20-2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.parrismfgco.com/pages/8/index.htm

Frontier Rifles

All Rifles shown in the "Frontier Rifles" page have been designed after the original rifles and muskets of their respective era. Each is constructed with a solid one-piece wood stock, painted steel barrel and die-cast parts. All will fire caps. Imported from China.

Radar
04-20-2006, 03:37 PM
As Mark stated, don't buy ANYTHING till you join a unit. They will lead you in the right direction. Also, I would post under the LOOKING TO JOIN A UNIT part of this board, along with your email address and in what area of the country that you live in, so you may find a unit in your home area.

flattop32355
04-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Hello troopers! I have a deep interest in the Civil War, and have some Re-inacting gear. I have a Confederate grey leather keppy, a rifle made by parris company in Savannah GA, and I have the Confederate coat. What else should I purchase for Re-inacting?
Randy

From what I see of the Parris Manufacturing Company, all they sell is toy cap guns. That's not what is used in CW reenacting. We use reproductions of the weapons used in the war, which are capable of being just as effective (and deadly) as the originals.

If you're really a serious person looking into this hobby, I'd suggest you take the advice already sounded by other posts and find a reenacting unit available in your area before buying another item. They can steer you towards the needed equipment and away from inferior items that are either inappropriate or less well made. They can also probably lend you items to use for an event or two so you can decide if it's really what you want to invest the required time and money into.

Frenchie_2006
04-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Randy

(sniff) (sniff) I smell troll. :P

HighPrvt
04-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Randy

Beat me to it. 8)

John1862
04-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Randy

Beat me to it. 8)

I'll 3rd that

Chuck A Luck
04-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Randy

Beat me to it. 8)

I'll 3rd that

'Zactly what I was thinking. ...Fourth.

Rob
04-20-2006, 09:55 PM
"Re-inacting"?

"Keppy"?

"Cival" war?

Cap guns?

Go home. Your mommy's calling you.

ilfed104
04-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey Mark, I think you done been trolled! :lol:

Who makes the best Confederate grey leather keppy? :lol:

Rick Keating

indguard
04-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I can't believe anyone took this seriously.

I'm sure the world of the "hardkewel" over at Authentic Campaigner is laughing their heads off.

sbl
04-21-2006, 06:26 AM
No one answered this item over on the Civilian forum....

http://www.cwreenactors.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=540

"I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but is there a site or any place here for reenactors who are single to meet, and chat? Would anybody else like to see a site like that?"

MStuart
04-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Yep, looks like I've been "got". I should've paid more attention to the "leather keppy". What the heck was I thinking?

Mark

Frenchie_2006
04-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Mark and the others who answered the troll:

You were thinking you wanted to help. If there are those anywhere who are snickering about it, it says much about their own attitudes toward the hobby and kindness in general.

Cav_Maj
04-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Mark,
Some days you get, and some days you get got. I think the latter applies here :lol:

See ya on the field,

Smokey

HighPrvt
04-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Mark,
No biggie, after all maybe he is just a little kid that really doesn't know his stuff wouldn't fly ?!?!?!

If he's a troll he's a sorry one. A good troll tries to stretch it out a bit.

John1862
04-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Mark,
No biggie, after all maybe he is just a little kid that really doesn't know his stuff wouldn't fly ?!?!?!

If he's a troll he's a sorry one. A good troll tries to stretch it out a bit.

Possibly, but how can someone google "Civil War reenactors" and then spell it Re-inacting? T-R-O-L-L

Graves Mercantile
04-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Google has a spell checker that offers hints if you mispell a word like re-inactor.

Troll? Likely
Child? Possible

It never hurts to be helpful and I'm glad members of this forum are open to new people with questions.

flattop32355
04-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Yep, looks like I've been "got". I should've paid more attention to the "leather keppy". What the heck was I thinking?
Mark

If you try to help someone who is pulling your chain, you've lost nothing and shown yourself to be a gentleman.

If you ridicule someone who is trying (poorly) to get information, you have lost them to the hobby.

Which to choose? I'll err on the side of caution, accept getting fooled from time to time, even often, and make sure that I don't turn anyone away who just isn't very articulate. I find it an acceptable tradeoff.

indguard
04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
I think that, in this case, that he has not come back to profess his "innocence" after two pages, then it is pretty obvious it is an AC forum "Hardkewel" trying to have fun at your expense.

Frenchie_2006
04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
I think that, in this case, that he has not come back to profess his "innocence" after two pages, then it is pretty obvious it is an AC forum "Hardkewel" trying to have fun at your expense.

I don't think that's at all obvious. There is no evidence that the original poster has any connection to the Authentic Campaigner Forum. And your comment is itself a form of "flame bait".

I think it is probable that the moderators on the ACF will take a dim view of one of their regulars trolling here, just as the moderators here will frown on someone doing the same there. From their point of view, nothing good can come of it.

ley74
04-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Frenchie:

Thanks for the thoughts.

One of the bothersome rules (or lack) of this forum is the failure to require people to use their names. We are but few. As a result, folks hide behind all sorts of "handles". As a result, flame pours out of some threads. Maybe Bob would consider this to clean up some of this idiocy.

captdougofky
04-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Mr. B

Outstanding comment.

D. Edward Thomas
Capt. Lyons Battery
1st. Ky. Vols. CS

tompritchett
04-23-2006, 11:59 PM
The issue of requiring names has come up several times in the past and it has always come down to the fact that there is no easy means for the Provost to verify the names are indeed real. Without verification any troll could use any name and it would have no effect on his activities.