PDA

View Full Version : Deciding Casualties European Style

sbl
08-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Invite the Grim Reaper to the next event and there will be no arguing about "hits." Remember he plays Chess not Checkers.

Mračení 2007

bitva - Mrač, 18.8.2007

http://www.oook.cz/events/mrac07/index3.html

http://www.oook.cz/events/mrac07/5214.html

Rob Weaver
08-20-2007, 04:19 PM
You know, every time you post one of those sites, I feel instantly better about every event I do!
"Mors vincet omnia" would be a good title for the stand-alone pic.
And never forget: "The hand of death is never gentle."

Robert A Mosher
08-20-2007, 05:16 PM
You know, every time you post one of those sites, I feel instantly better about every event I do!
"Mors vincet omnia" would be a good title for the stand-alone pic.
And never forget: "The hand of death is never gentle."

Perhaps the Grim Reaper does prefer chess over checkers - he is lousy at Twister, though - and he played a great bass backup for Bill and Ted!

Party on!

Robert A. Mosher

Forquer
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
So, are the Jannisaries the Europeans' version of "The Indian?"

YOS,

flattop32355
08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Our dead are never that colorful.

Rob Weaver
08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Can you imagine how it would light up the fora if death strode behind the lines, tapping individuals douring volleys: "You're hit; you're hit; you're hit and will die in two weeks..." LOL.

Frenchie
08-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Rob, that's what observer/referees do in some tactical battles. They coordinate with the O/Rs in other units and decide casualties based on position, terrain, rate of fire, etc. Few years ago there was one at a farm in Loudon Heights, Virginia, where I was to be a ref, but the whole thing got rained out. Too bad; I was looking forward to deciding who lived and who died :D

sbl
08-21-2007, 08:11 AM
One of the photo albums I looked at had a battle where "Valkyries", women in white, resurrected the casualties.

What do we do lately? Blow taps or do a drum call.

Rob Weaver
08-22-2007, 06:02 AM
Rob, that's what observer/referees do in some tactical battles. They coordinate with the O/Rs in other units and decide casualties based on position, terrain, rate of fire, etc. Few years ago there was one at a farm in Loudon Heights, Virginia, where I was to be a ref, but the whole thing got rained out. Too bad; I was looking forward to deciding who lived and who died :D
I remember - I read your rules! While a good idea, I'd rather let individual reenactors play the game of taking hits, and use the referee to award points to the unit for taking appropriate casualties. That way everyone gets to play their assigned part all the way down to the individual reenactor.

Frenchie
08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Rob, in the event rules, everyone gets to play the part of a soldier doing his duty. Each soldier can concentrate on doing his best and not have to worry about taking hits. That distraction is removed. The officers can focus on running the battle and the soldiers can focus on following his orders.