PDA

View Full Version : Irish units in MA...

WoodenNutmeg
08-20-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm currently in contact with the 28th, but I was also curious about other units existing in the Boston area.

I'm looking for a well regimented, detail orientated, Irish group with whom I can anticipate good times with as well as some fierce fighting.

Any leads would be appreciated.

sigman
08-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Salem Cadet, The boys from the 28th will definitely fill the bill for what you are looking for! Look no further for one on New England's best!

WoodenNutmeg
08-22-2007, 02:08 PM
This is certainly the impression that I have been getting.

Thanks, sigman.

Kevin O'Beirne
08-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Which 28th Mass? Last I knew, there were two different such organizations in New England.

I believe there's a 9th Conn. reenactment group, but am not aware of their quality. I believe some members of the 69th NYSV Co. A out of the NYC area have some members in southwestern New England.

The "Irish" portrayal can be a rewarding one; unfortunately, it also tends to attract folks who either don't understand the Irish-American experience of the mid-19th Century, or who use it as a platform to "stand out" at events. Finally, just because you may have a real interest in the history of Irish-Americans of the era and want to portray one properly, does not mean that others in the group have the same motives; some folks join groups with Irish portrayals simply because they like the cool green flag, or enjoy the reputation for "fighting" and opportunities for carousing. At least these were my experience being a member of a group for seven years that portrayed an Irish-American unit, and that was in turn a member of a (now defunct) battalion level organization dedicated to portraying Irish-American units.

Best of luck with it! :)

WoodenNutmeg
08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks, Kevin O'Beirne, your honesty is appreciated.

I can assure you, however, as well as anyone else, that my intentions are genuine. Being of direct Irish decent and having had family members who served in both Connecticut and Massachusetts regiments during the war, my desire to find a well disciplined and respectable group is in direct correlation and agreement with your "would-be-avoided" points.

Kevin O'Beirne
08-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I certainly understand. :) I had a relative in the 37th New York "Irish Rifles" of the Army of the Potomac's Third Corps.

THE20THCVI
09-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Im from Central CT and Im the Commanding officer of the 20th Connecticut Infantry and Im looking for recruits please message me if this is good for you
Captain Justin Pianka
20th Connecticut Infantry
Company E