PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Surgeon's Trousers

hta1970
08-20-2007, 08:27 AM
I have seen examples of coats for Confederate surgeon's but no trousers. I am aware of what the regulation calls for, but does anyone have any advice for what a Maryland Confederate Assistant Surgeon should wear for trousers?

Thanks for helping me not make a fool of myself!

TimKindred
08-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Harry,

Odds are that the pants you wear will match the coat. If you are wearing a dress coat with the proper sleeve and collar insignia, then it certainly would be appropriate to have a pair a matching trousers with either black trim, or no trim. Remember that an assistant surgeon was to rank as a Captain, so the coat should reflect that. If you choose to wear dark blue or that darker sky or saxon blue, then at least make certain to get a finely-made pair, such as an officer would wear, rather than enlisted pants.

For myself, I used to wear a dress uniform, with the green sash but no belt or sword. I have seen 7 CDV's of CS surgeons where they were wearing a dress coat with the green sash but no belt or sword, and so chose to emulate that. On 6 of them, the pants seemed to match the coat, whereas on the 7th, the pants were either black or a dark blue. All of the coats appeared to be grey or a blue-grey.

However, I have decided to expand the impression to include a suit of civilian clothes, for when serving as a contract surgeon with the army, and to also acquire a "military" sack suit for those occasions where a uniform and a commission are more appropriate.. Richmond Depot has an excellent CS Officer's sack coat, and that is what I will be using in the coming year.

There is no "one size fits all" answer here. What you will need to do is pour over images of CS doctors and compare that to period accounts and determine what will work best for you.

Respects,