PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Syrup???

MMurphy
08-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Folks;
I've noticed that one of our good sutlers, carries "Lemon Syrup", in period bottles for sale.
So I am curious. How is this used, and what is it used for?...

Any recipes for it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

NoahBriggs
08-16-2007, 10:02 AM
We used it at the Inn event. Pour a small dollop into the bottom of a glass, fill with water. Mix. Wah-laa. Lemonade! It's usually used for drinking. So is switchel, shrub, &c.

"Syrup", for this particular bottle at least, is something of a misnomer. It did not look like the gooey stuff we associate with something like maple syrup. It looked like a concentrate.

I'd imagine some of the receipt books have receipts for making lemonade syrup. Someone who is a cooking/receipt geek will probably chime in on how to make the syrup itself.

WoodenNutmeg
08-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh, man...what can't you use lemon syrup on?

Ingredients for Lemon Syrup Recipe

* 2 cups sugar
* 2 cups water
* 1 lemon, rind only, grated
* 4 lemons, juice, strained

NoahBriggs
08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
And there you go. A receipt in less than an hour.

hanktrent
08-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Syrups were a way preserving flavors with sugar and/or making the flavoring ingredient easily usable. So lemon syrup could be used to flavor sauces, cakes, pies, icing, etc., or to make lemonade as Noah mentioned, or anywhere in cooking that you needed lemon flavor.

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

chatrbug
08-16-2007, 01:04 PM
a little on top of ice cream :)

Char
08-22-2007, 11:27 AM
And so do you just mix this together or do you have to boil it together?
Charlene

Crabby
08-22-2007, 01:12 PM
You would just mix it. No boiling necessary for lemon syrup.

TimKindred
08-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Comrades,

As a caveat, although no boiling would be required, IF you were to first make a simple syrup by dissolving the sugar into warm water and bringing it to a boil, then back off the heat to simmer for a minute, then add the remaining ingredients and allow to cool before bottling, it will remain in a syrup state without the sugar seperating for a considerable time. :D

Just Sayin'.......

Respects,