PDA

View Full Version : RI's Gen. George Sears Greene Cemetery Just Vandalized

Gregg Mierka
08-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Just to pass on our very sad sad news, as Rhode Island MOLLUS, Elisha Dyer Camp No. 7 SUVCW,2nd RI Vol.Inf. & Battery A 1st RILA prepares to honor RI's General George Sears Greene along with the Greene Family, at the 100th Rededication at Culp's Hill--SEPT. 22--Gettysburg Nat'l Military Park, the family cemetery where the general is buried in the Village of Apponaug, Warwick, RI, has been severly vandalized as of last Friday, Aug. 10. His wife's headstone was knocked over among the dozen vandalized, damaging the granite in-ground plaque that commemorated his accomplishments placed there 2 yrs. prior. We will help clean up the grounds with a local co. who will close for the day to volunteer their services/staff and assist in restoring the stones and also help weld the old iron fencing and place them upright. The Warwick Cemetery Commission and Apponaug Area Improvement (the village where General Greene was born), is offering a reward for any information. To all who are concerned, we thank you for your help and will see you on Thurs., Aug. 16 at 8:30 a.m.at the General's gravesite. To all interested, please attend our 100th Rededication SEPT. 22. Call to RSVP (401)821-8630 and to participate in the ceremony. Thank you so much. G.A.Mierka

reb4lee
08-14-2007, 02:49 PM
This is sad to hear. I have visted it a few times and the condtion of it is bad. :-(

Gregg Mierka
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Thank you for going to see Gen. Greene's cemetry site in the Village of Apponaug where he was from, so you know what it looked like then. Many volunteers showed up 2 days last week to clean, weedwack, find stones. We have all but 4 stones from the site accounted for,and found 2 not listed on the cemetery #23 roster. The co. who donated services/employees started welding the iron fences we could find. We have made great progress. By the way, our 100th rededication in his honor 1907-2007 is not only for Union.

7thNJcoA
08-23-2007, 09:17 AM
I heard of this from the 2nd RIVI From NJ in woodbridge. It is sad to hear when the graves of our nations heroes are vandalized. I go to arlington once a month and pick of garbage from the grave are of my marines who were killed in Iraq. people go to that section as a tourist attraction it seems and all walk around and point like its some amusement park. When I see this I Always tell them to respect all the brave men and women burried here and they feel like crap as they should.

Gregg Mierka
08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
It is quite sad about Gen. Greene's cemetery. We all thank you for your heroism and caring for the veterans as well. Hope you and your unit can be with us on SEPT. 22 at the 100th Rededication of the General George Sears Greene Monument. Contact Cpt. Greg Payne at Payne_and_Ink@verizon.net. The welding co. who offered their time and employees last week to help us got quite a bit of the iron fencing welded back together and helped to restore a few stones for us. Will MacArgel is a member of Elisha Dyer Camp No. 7, RI & is with the 2nd RIVol. Inf. Here is a site about the vandalism:
Look at these WPRI.com web site, click topic tab "VIDEO"; look for "Local News" and click; then click "WEST BAY NEWS"; look for "Cemetery Vandalized" at the left bottom of screen and click on. You will see the piece that aired on Friday Aug. 10.

Also check out the Warwick BEACON article in yesterday's paper:
This past Tues. 8/21:
http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33824&Itemid=35

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33824&Itemid=32

Here is some more vandalism coverage last week on General Greene's cemetery site of recent, for your review.
http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33738&Itemid=174
and Editorial:
http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33744&Itemid=33 [/SIZE]