PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore's Pratt Street Riot - The Lexington of 1861

Frenchie_2006
04-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Annual Pratt Street Riot Commemoration
Saturday, April 22, 11:00 a.m.
Commemorate the first bloodshed of the Civil War in its 145th year at the Baltimore Civil War Museum's President Street Station, site of the Pratt Street Riots of 1861. Join the MdHS and the Friends of President Street Station for this special anniversary event. Retrace the route of the Sixth Massachusetts as they moved toward Camden Station and met with Baltimore's mob of Southern sympathizers. Program is free with museum admission. Call the MdHS Box Office for more information at 410-685-3750 ext. 321.

Baltimore Civil War Museum -
President Street Station
601 President Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
(410) 385-5188

MDRebCAv
04-18-2006, 11:24 AM
If nothing interfers I will be there. Don't worry...I'll leave the Confederate unifrom at home in Bowleys Quarters...;-)

Frenchie_2006
04-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Why not wear it, Daniel? You can answer visitor's questions and spread some knowledge. I'll be in civvies, as an employee of the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad.

I forget what you guys were going to do over there. I couldn't make it, did it go off well? I can't make it to Ballestone Manor, going to see my daughter in an opera in Princeton, NJ, but are you guys going to be there? I hope it goes well.

MDRebCAv
04-18-2006, 02:46 PM
No, we won't be at Ballestone this time...being a combined unit we try to go to events where we can use the field hospital, artillery, mounted and dismounted together. I have been informed that won't be any horses allowed this this time, so we did not even attempt to get an invitation for the artillery...even though the dismounts would have fallen in as infantry.

Maybe I will wear the uniform then...maybe see if I can get a few of the other fellows and maybe one or two to don their blue jackets.

What you were refering to was the recruitment scenario I was trying to set up on Carroll Island Road ("My God, Man...that's Bowleys Quarters" and "boondocks" I think were some of your humorous remarks) :-)

Anyway...I would like to try and pull it off this season...Just think of it: Confederates and Federals recruiting side by side...LOL

Frenchie_2006
04-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Maybe I will wear the uniform then...maybe see if I can get a few of the other fellows and maybe one or two to don their blue jackets.

Great, come in and introduce yourself and let me know if you need anything.

What you were refering to was the recruitment scenario I was trying to set up on Carroll Island Road ("My God, Man...that's Bowleys Quarters" and "boondocks" I think were some of your humorous remarks) :-)

My Lovely Bride was the source of those remarks, she's a native Baltimorean and has certain fixed, provincial ideas about the area :D

Anyway...I would like to try and pull it off this season...Just think of it: Confederates and Federals recruiting side by side...LOL

I think blue and gray recruiting together is a great idea, it gives people the chance to compare and contrast and provides more information. I'll keep an eye out for an announcement.