PDA

View Full Version : Roster of All Regimental Surgeons on Google Books

Robert A Mosher
08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Today I again came across this 1882 publication on Google Books that claims to be a "Roster of All Regimental and Assistant Surgeons in the Late War, with their Service.." A search did not turn up any previous reference to the volume which I thought might be of interest - so here it is at

http://books.google.com/books?id=gBos84jxIBoC&pg=PA299&dq=roster,+massachusetts+troops,+civil+war&as_brr=1#PPP7,M1

If the link does not work, just search Google Books (full view) for regimental surgeons -

Robert A. Mosher

NoahBriggs
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks!

It seems there are people on this forum who actually still research!

verg
08-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Coincidentally, I was looking at this book this past weekend. It is an excellent source. It was reprinted by Zullo of Old Soldier Books a few years ago.

yankeecav
08-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Great resource. Unfortunately, pages 32-39 are missing and would include the regiment I am researching.

NoahBriggs
08-08-2007, 03:57 AM
A frequent downside to Google Books. Pages are badly scanned, blurry, missing, or have the person's thumb in the picture (presumably for scale?). I have made up a generic page which says

Page XXX is missing from the Google Books scan. Shame on Google Books!

I insert that into my printouts in order to maintain the proper double-sidedness of the pages when I print.

Robert A Mosher
08-08-2007, 06:28 AM
Great resource. Unfortunately, pages 32-39 are missing and would include the regiment I am researching.

Tom -
My friends at The Napoleon Series who actively mine Google books report that Google is very responsive when notified of such errors. I understand that if you examine the webpages as each PDF page is presented on screen there is a field to the side (viewer's right?) which includes a short form for the reporting of such errors as missing or unviewable pages. You should five it a try if these missing pages are important.

Robert A. Mosher

Micah Trent
08-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Robert,

Nice find! Some interesting stuff. Like Tom, I noticed pgs. 32-39 were missing...LOL

Noah is right about Google having a downside to their on line books. I have had a few which I read in the past that had pages missing here and there and it bothered me cause right when I was in the middle of something good...I would be missing a page or two. At times, it just ruined something good that I was into.

yankeecav
08-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks Robert for your suggestion. I may indeed do that.

Micah, that certainly can ruin a good read.

I guess I can't complain too much, after all google is providing this stuff for free. Remember the old adage: "You get what you pay for"

Jas. Cox
08-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Today I again came across this 1882 publication on Google Books that claims to be a "Roster of All Regimental and Assistant Surgeons in the Late War, with their Service.." A search did not turn up any previous reference to the volume which I thought might be of interest - so here it is at ....

The link worked fine and I clicked on the download PDF link and it downloaded a large file, but it only has something on the first page out of 300+. This happens to me everything I try to do this with a book on here. Does anybody have a clue as to why?

Robert A Mosher
08-15-2007, 11:33 AM
The link worked fine and I clicked on the download PDF link and it downloaded a large file, but it only has something on the first page out of 300+. This happens to me everything I try to do this with a book on here. Does anybody have a clue as to why?

I'm not sure what the issue might be. I just checked the link out and it worked fine, I was able to look at the pages identified as missing. I also submitted an error report to Google Books on that. The link to submit reports about problems actually appears at the bottom of the page and is not easy to find

Robert A. Mosher

Jas. Cox
08-15-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure what the issue might be. I just checked the link out and it worked fine, I was able to look at the pages identified as missing. I also submitted an error report to Google Books on that. The link to submit reports about problems actually appears at the bottom of the page and is not easy to find

Robert A. Mosher

I got a different version of the PDF reader and it's now working, which leads me to two other questions:

1. In y'alls opinion what is the ONE book that every medical re-enactor or just someone interested in Civil War medicine should have? If one thinks there is a separate book for Federals and one for Confederates then list both.

2. Now that I can read the google books, would someone please list links to any PDF books they found to be particularly interesting or helpful. If this has already been done in another thread, then please point me in that direction.

I will appreciate the the input. God I love reference books. :D

Jas. Cox

NoahBriggs
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
"Now that I can read the google books, would someone please list links to any PDF books they found to be particularly interesting or helpful. If this has already been done in another thread, then please point me in that direction."

The Search function works wonders. Try this thread, and scroll down to the four sections labeled "You asked for it, Hoover, part 2".

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4400&page=2

To be expanded as new books and references turn up.

Robert A Mosher
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Robert A. Mosher

For the record, just a few minutes ago I got an email from Google Books confirming the problem and reporting that they will convey the information to the appropriate folks for correction (which I guess means the owning library? identified on the Google Books page as Harvard).

Robert A. Mosher

Jas. Cox
08-15-2007, 07:37 PM
"...."

The Search function works wonders. Try this thread, and scroll down to the four sections labeled "You asked for it, Hoover, part 2".

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4400&page=2

To be expanded as new books and references turn up.

Thank you very much for the link. I downloaded a number of books. A few of the links were dead.

I'm not as enamored with the search function on here. It often gives me a number of threads that have noting to do with for which I search. I get tired of scanning each of them.

Again thank you for the link.

NoahBriggs
08-16-2007, 04:25 AM
"In y'alls opinion what is the ONE book that every medical re-enactor or just someone interested in Civil War medicine should have? If one thinks there is a separate book for Federals and one for Confederates then list both."

I do not see why medical books should be segregated according to loyalty. They were humans on both sides, and have the same basic physiological structure. Aside from the "ragged rebel foraging for medicine using Porcher" mythology, both sides often used the same manuals, even though some of the manuals may have specifically been written by doctors loyal to one side or the other.

Also, I don't understand why people insist on calling it "Civil War medicine", which implies that medicine started during the War but was absent beforehand and seemed to stop right after hostilities ceased. Why not broaden the title to "19th Century medicine", which has a better connotation.

That said, I think this manual is a good primary source intro to the medicine of the period. Over 600 pages, but so were the later Harry Potter books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Klp_qPBbz90C&pg=PR1&dq=Manual+of+Examinations+J.L.+Ludlow

A Manual of Examinations, by J.L. Ludlow. Basic primary source intro to medicine - surgery, disease, pharmacy, chemistry, OB-GYN, &c. in question-and-answer format. Sort of "The Idiot's Guide To 19th Century Medicine."

The other is a secondary source - a great book with the unimaginiative title of "Civil War Medicine: Challenges and Triumphs" by Alfred Bollet.

hanktrent
08-16-2007, 05:11 AM
I'm not as enamored with the search function on here. It often gives me a number of threads that have noting to do with for which I search. I get tired of scanning each of them.

It helps to go to advanced search and mark the button for "Show results as Posts" rather than threads.

I've also not been able to figure out the syntax for the search string here. It seems to default to "and" or maybe "near," but I can't get it to search a phrase.

The search string enamored search gave three hits, including this thread, apparently defaulting to AND.

The search string enamored OR search gave a zillion hits, as it should, since it included everything with "search" alone.

The strings enamored with and enamored AND with gave seven hits but refused to search for "with."

However the search string "enamored with" gave no hits, though it should have given this thread. So I can't figure out how to force it to search for common words like "with" or for a phrase.

Is there a FAQ that describes the search syntax available?

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

Jas. Cox
08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
It helps to go to advanced search and mark the button for "Show results as Posts" rather than threads.

I've also not been able to figure out the syntax for the search string here. It seems to default to "and" or maybe "near," but I can't get it to search a phrase.

The search string enamored search gave three hits, including this thread, apparently defaulting to AND.

The search string enamored OR search gave a zillion hits, as it should, since it included everything with "search" alone.

The strings enamored with and enamored AND with gave seven hits but refused to search for "with."

However the search string "enamored with" gave no hits, though it should have given this thread. So I can't figure out how to force it to search for common words like "with" or for a phrase.

Is there a FAQ that describes the search syntax available?

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

Tricks not for kids.

Thank you for the searching advice. Perhaps I will find it less troublesome in the future.

Jas. Cox
08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
"In y'alls opinion what is the ONE book that every medical re-enactor or just someone interested in Civil War medicine should have? If one thinks there is a separate book for Federals and one for Confederates then list both."

I do not see why medical books should be segregated according to loyalty. They were humans on both sides, and have the same basic physiological structure. Aside from the "ragged rebel foraging for medicine using Porcher" mythology, both sides often used the same manuals, even though some of the manuals may have specifically been written by doctors loyal to one side or the other.

Also, I don't understand why people insist on calling it "Civil War medicine", which implies that medicine started during the War but was absent beforehand and seemed to stop right after hostilities ceased. Why not broaden the title to "19th Century medicine", which has a better connotation.

That said, I think this manual is a good primary source intro to the medicine of the period. Over 600 pages, but so were the later Harry Potter books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Klp_qPBbz90C&pg=PR1&dq=Manual+of+Examinations+J.L.+Ludlow

A Manual of Examinations, by J.L. Ludlow. Basic primary source intro to medicine - surgery, disease, pharmacy, chemistry, OB-GYN, &c. in question-and-answer format. Sort of "The Idiot's Guide To 19th Century Medicine."

The other is a secondary source - a great book with the unimaginiative title of "Civil War Medicine: Challenges and Triumphs" by Alfred Bollet.

Again, thank you for providing information and your wisdom.

I do not see why medical books would or should be separated based on loyalty as well, but I don't know everything. Perhaps the Federals had a more up-to-date manual with fresh European insights that weren't available to the Confederates. Perhaps the Confederates had a more herbalist manual due to shortages close to the end of the war. Perhaps specific doctors on each side wrote a book with specific differences. Finally, a re-enactor/living historian/guy with a replica uniform who was portraying a particular side might only want books and such published by that side. I have seen anatomy charts (replicas) that were CSA issued supposedly.

As far as calling it "Civil War medicine" this is a Civil War forum. To call it
"19th Century medicine" would encompass early 1800's medicine some of which might have been discredited by the "1860's" and would also include medical information from the late 1800's not available during the civil war period. Furthermore, many things were learned from this war, that weren't previously available and not limited to specific medical treatment. One could call it 1850 - 1865 medicine. However, as one trying to stick to a specific time period, I will just call it Civil War Medicine to your chagrin.