PDA

View Full Version : Has The Whine Cellar Outgrown Its Name?

crowley_greene
08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
This afternoon while I was out walking my dogs in the 97-degree August heat, I started thinking about The Whine Cellar. Brain cook, maybe.

I think I remember how and why this forum came to be. But I wondered if it has maybe outgrown its name, The Whine Cellar? Is it a misnomer sometimes?

I mean, can't this forum also be a place for 1860's history types to drop in and just talk about loosely CW history related "stuff," that's not necessarily whining, but also not so directly linked to reenacting or equipment? It seems like we see those kinds of threads show up in here sometimes because they don't really fit anywhere else, but they're not bellyaching or whining.

Could there be a better name for this forum, to accommodate miscellaneous "stuff" as well as whining?

Murray Therrell

flattop32355
08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Not sure anyone is going to come to the "Miscellaneous Stuff" forum.
Just doesn't have a nice ring to it, ya know?

tompritchett
08-04-2007, 09:32 PM
"The Catch-All Forum"?

NoahBriggs
08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
In honor of another insidious Forum Which Need Not Be Named, the "Off-Topic Bar". Nice and informal. And the amateur sociologist in me observes that it seems more business is conducted when everyone is hunkered around the bar clutching a bottle of suds, as opposed to the formal meetings with agendas and handouts.

Rob Weaver
08-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Actually, I like "whine cellar" better than "off-topic" or "general off-topic" names by which the similar category in other fora is known. Although we know this is where material that begns or strays OT ends up, it's also a subtle reminder (at least to me) of where material which no longer contributes meaningful information, or degenerates into pointless complaining ends up. D'ya think telling us in the midst of one of our "us vs. them" rants" "Hey, anymore of that and it's going to Off-topic General?" would have much punch?

sbl
08-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Whine Cellar is a pretty good pun, but REAL Americans don't whine or rant.

Though nobody asks me, I like to post strange of funny items I see on the "internets" ("It's not a truck ..It's a series of tubes.") that CW/WBTS folks might like.

Stick with Whine Cellar.

tompritchett
08-05-2007, 07:45 AM
but REAL Americans don't whine or rant.

You sure could fool several radio and TV political commentators with that remark. Interestingly enough they all seem to be on the same extreme of the political spectrum and their common rant seems to be that, if you don't believe what I believe, you are not a "true" American.

crowley_greene
08-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Don't misunderstand, this isn't a "campaign" on my part to try to change the name of a forum. We're all guests here, and I don't want to try to change things any more than I would go into someone's house as a guest and say "Don't you think this room ought to be another color besides beige?"

I really meant for the post to be sort of positive. I think it's really good that a "room" that was originally created for whining and negative pointlessness has also become a space for living history buffs to throw in quirky and offbeat and "show-and-tell" things for entertainment as well as just non-history conversational things like thoughts on what kind of truck to buy. It's still a place where griping and complaining can go on, but other conversations as well. Makes me think of a workplace break room in a way.

Murray Therrell

sbl
08-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Thomas,

While I meant to be humorous, I also meant in the ideal, REAL Americans don't whine or rant. One can be an American, a REAL one, and be guilty of whining. It's just that one shouldn't. I may sound like the commentators, but they mean to divide us, not inspire us.

I work with a guy from Cambodia (US Citizen) who tells people that whine, or complain that "This Is America, Get over it." He means that you have to solve your problems or don't complain.

Now one can gripe. Remember in Saving Private Ryan? "Gripes go up hill." My boss gripes down. (Kisses Up)

Linda Trent
08-05-2007, 09:12 AM
REAL Americans don't whine or rant.

Then there are a lot of illegals on all the forums. :D

Linda.

flattop32355
08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Then there are a lot of illegals on all the forums. :D

I have a green card.

Rob Weaver
08-05-2007, 03:46 PM
As my hero Captain Woodrow Call noted "I'm as much an American as any man from Tennessee."
I think whining is a grand old American custom - it means that our basic needs are met and we don't have anything better to talk about. Remember the old axiom: "Soldiers aren't happy unless they're complaining?"

I remain, American and loving every complaining minute of it,

bob 125th nysvi
08-05-2007, 05:00 PM
You sure could fool several radio and TV political commentators with that remark. Interestingly enough they all seem to be on the same extreme of the political spectrum and their common rant seems to be that, if you don't believe what I believe, you are not a "true" American.

on the other end of the spectrum tried to get air space to give their whines but it wasn't a success.

Then some of them started to "whine" it was some sort of conspiracy.

They also seem to think that if you don't beleive in their version of the "truth" you are also not a "true" American.

They just use different terms than the ones on the other end (ex: facists v commie).

bob 125th nysvi
08-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I have a green card.

county fair pass you dolt!

Geez if you're going to live in this country, even illegally, learn to read english! :)

sbl
08-05-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/whining

Main Entry: 1whine
Pronunciation: 'hwIn, 'wIn
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): whined; whin·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hwInan to whiz; akin to Old Norse hvIna to whiz
intransitive verb
1 a : to utter a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry b : to make a sound similar to such a cry <the wind whined in the chimney>
2 : to complain with or as if with a whine <always whining about the weather>
3 : to move or proceed with the sound of a whine <the bullet whined...across the ice -- Berton Roueché>
transitive verb : to utter or express with or as if with a whine
- whin·er noun

I like this one from an earlier source.

[1913 Webster]

Whine \Whine\, v. t.
To utter or express plaintively, or in a mean, unmanly way; as, to whine out an excuse.

Wow, Mean and Unmanly...we don't want that as an American Trait do we?

sbl
08-05-2007, 07:24 PM
"...on the other end of the spectrum tried to get air space to give their whines but it wasn't a success."

Bob,

I've been listening to Air America for some time. It's still on.

I think Thomas was making a point that I shouldn't be defining what REAL Americans are.

flattop32355
08-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Geez if you're going to live in this country, even illegally, learn to read english! :)

Eyee reed ze Inglis vurry goot. Sea?

But I can't do subtitles..... :)

crowley_greene
08-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Maybe something like "The Pointless Parlor?"

That seems like a place that people wouldn't want their questions in other forums to get moved to, but also a place where someone wouldn't mind going to voluntarily just to "talk about sumthin."

Murray Therrell

Micah Trent
08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
What's the saying?...Cows may come and cows may go, but the bull that goes on in this place stays forever.;)
It don't matter what you call this...either way everything will remain the same.:p

tompritchett
08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
What's the saying?...Cows may come and cows may go, but the bull that goes on in this place stays forever.
It don't matter what you call this...either way everything will remain the same.

Actually I have found some very thought provoking discussions breaking out periodically down here and in the Flags section on topics ranging from the role of slavery in bringing about the secession of the first seven states and very Constitutional issues. Granted they aren't the most common topics down here, but, when they do break out, they can be both entertaining and enlightening.