PDA

View Full Version : Re-enactors’ review

goatgirl
08-04-2007, 02:55 PM
The subject of “peer review” on books came up on another thread. If you would, please give me a “re-enactors' review” of what y’all think about these three books.

1. Derry, Joseph T., Story Of The Confederate States

2. Hummel, Jefferey Rogers, Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men

3. McPherson, James M. For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War Or the short book which is almost the same, What they Fought For 1861-1865

bill watson
08-04-2007, 07:21 PM
My recollection, not of McPherson's book but of what I thought of McPherson's book when I read it, was that he wasn't actually comprehending what it was he was reading in letters home, etc. I will have to read the book again to pin that down. I think it had something to do with him applying a cerebral process to try to understand what for many men was an emotionally based decision. Sorry.

NoahBriggs
08-04-2007, 09:41 PM
They were books. It appears they were written, too.

Short, concise.

Sgt_Pepper
08-05-2007, 04:46 AM
They were books. It appears they were written, too.

Short, concise.

Mr. Briggs, this seems curt and sarcastic. At best it is unhelpful. What did you intend to say here?

Memphis
08-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Not to put words in his mouth, but Mr. Briggs may be strongly suggesting someone actually read those three books, and write her own gradeschool homework book reports.

Sgt_Pepper
08-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Perhaps simply saying so would be best, then.

goatgirl
08-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Not to put words in his mouth, but Mr. Briggs may be strongly suggesting someone actually read those three books, and write her own gradeschool homework book reports.

Mr. Johns,

I have read all three (four actually) books and have no intentions of writing a book report on any of them. I simply find it highly interesting to know what people think about certain books. Also, without naming the book that was being mocked and slaughtered in the other thread, I wish to know if folks thinks these books are also “cherry picked” biased propaganda.

bill watson
08-06-2007, 07:31 AM
We are far more likely to get a polemic from Goatgirl than a veiled homework assignment.

Given the amount of information Goatgirl has referenced in her conversations in here, stigmatizing her as a lazy grade schooler would be pretty far down my list of stereotypes for her.

Sometimes a question leading to a conversation is just a question leading to a conversation.

toptimlrd
08-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Or perhaps she is just looking to see what others thought of these books before she spends her hard earned money on them to make sure they are not a waste of paper.

Micah Trent
08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I have never read the three books mentioned, however I have read books by James M. McPhearson. I find his books interesting to read for the most part. At the same time, he can be hard to follow along with. I am not sure if "tangents" is a good word for it, but anyway, he still has some good material. I'd say it would be something to check out and read. I don't think it would be a waste of your time or money though.
Just don't take everything as the gospel that it written in it!;)

Fifer37thNC
08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
There is a new movie out already called "The Last Confederate" True story of Robert Adams a capatain in the South Carolina Calvary Dragoons. Filmed in NC, and SC. Also another new independent film coming out called "Freedom" filmed in Tennesse and Western part of Virginia. TLC is very good. I recomend it to all Reenactors and buffs to see it.

Micah Trent
08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
There is a new movie out already called "The Last Confederate" True story of Robert Adams a capatain in the South Carolina Calvary Dragoons. Filmed in NC, and SC. Also another new independent film coming out called "Freedom" filmed in Tennesse and Western part of Virginia. TLC is very good. I recomend it to all Reenactors and buffs to see it.

JD? What's that have to do with the books????
I think you may have got your threads mixed up;)

Fifer37thNC
08-07-2007, 06:09 PM
JD? What's that have to do with the books????
I think you may have got your threads mixed up;)

OOPS lol probably well I saw the thing for the "Reenactors review"? But it's a thread for Books and Videos. So I was asuming that it was for both?

goatgirl
08-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks, Messrs. Watson and Trent for sharing your thoughts on the books.

Micah Trent
08-08-2007, 07:53 PM
OOPS lol probably well I saw the thing for the "Reenactors review"? But it's a thread for Books and Videos. So I was asuming that it was for both?

LOL...No Biggy JD. It's easy at times to accidently post something on the wrong thread. I have seen it done a quite a few times recently.;)

Micah Trent
08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Messrs. Watson and Trent for sharing your thoughts on the books.

It wasn't much, but you're welcome! :)