PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Subtitles. I sure wish that folks would stop using subtitles

Rob
08-02-2007, 09:41 PM
as part of the post.

It ain't cute - but it is confusing to start reading a post and then having to work your way backwards to see the beginning of it.

See what I mean?

// End of rant.

jurgitemvaletem
08-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Rob, try switching you display mode to "Linear Mode" it allows you to see the posts in descending order from the time they were made. I assume you are opperating on "Hybrid Mode"?

flattop32355
08-03-2007, 06:04 AM
I think he's talking about putting part of the first sentence of the post in the title and finishing it in the body of the post.

I've been guilty, but usually use "..." to indicate it.
I'll try to behave better in the future. ;)

Rob Weaver
08-03-2007, 02:03 PM
what you mean. :D

FranklinGuardsNYSM
08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
My pet peeve:

"Mods, please delete this thread" on classifieds.

The thread never gets deleted, anyway, why bother bossing the bosses around?

WestTN_reb
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
My pet peeve:

Nobody is bossing the mods around. Using that phrase is letting the mods know that the stuff is either sold or the seller is giving up. I've put that message in a couple of my sale ads, and the mods did indeed delete the thread. Others mileage may vary, however.

bob 125th nysvi
08-03-2007, 06:54 PM
as part of the post.

It ain't cute - but it is confusing to start reading a post and then having to work your way backwards to see the beginning of it.

See what I mean?

// End of rant.

and I ain't changing.

I don't look at forums as a back forth flurry of business memos but as a form of communication akin to a conversation.

I don't preference my comments in a conversation with a title.

If using a formal titile is appropriate during the discourse to convey my message I will if not I'll stand on my constitutional right to say what I please the way I see fit to say it.

"Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light." :)

tompritchett
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Actually, the person is making a request not a demand. When I see the request, I have deleted the thread. If I missed one of yours, I am sorry. It also helps if you send me a PM as I may not see it if it is buried in the thread itself. BTW, I am only a Moderator in the Military Classified Ads and not in the Civilian Ads. If you wish to have your thread deleted in the Civilian Classified Ads, send a PM to the Provost.

VaTrooper
08-04-2007, 06:26 AM
.... if not I'll stand on my constitutional right to say what I please the way I see fit to say it.

Actually since this forum has rules you can't say what you please. But if you could some saint would have most definitely shattered that huge ego you have. Nevertheless you can continue to use the subtitle as you please!

Sgt_Pepper
08-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Serious study of the First Amendment reveals that the authors had no intention to protect all forms of speech. They intended to guarantee protection for political speech.

flattop32355
08-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Serious study of the First Amendment reveals that the authors had no intention to protect all forms of speech. They intended to guarantee protection for political speech.

...which, in our present time, now seems to include all speech, in any mode or form, unless certain people don't like it.

The mini-rant is now over. Thank you for your support.

tompritchett
08-04-2007, 10:09 AM
If using a formal titile is appropriate during the discourse to convey my message I will if not I'll stand on my constitutional right to say what I please the way I see fit to say it.

More than one court decision has defined the right to free speech to be that of public speech. When you join a private club, which this form would legally be, you agree to limit your speech to the rules defined by that club. Therefore, that club can take whatever disciplinary actions that are legal under the club rules in regards to speech outside the club rules and not legally be violating your right of free speech.

eric marten
08-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote about the German language:

"German is the only language where you have to wait until the end of the sentence to see if you're being insulted."

Eric Marten

bob 125th nysvi
08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Actually since this forum has rules you can't say what you please. But if you could some saint would have most definitely shattered that huge ego you have. Nevertheless you can continue to use the subtitle as you please!

the only thing the forum could do would be to deny me the ability to say it here. They couldn't actually stop me from saying it.

That is the advantage of a private group over a public forum.

The most fundimental freedom we have is the right to free speech.

I may not like what you say but I'll defend you're right to say it.

The nice thing about being an agnostic is the saints save their knocks for believers. I'm beyond redemption.

And thank you most gracious sir for giving me permission to continue to use subtitles!

flattop32355
08-04-2007, 09:14 PM
The most fundimental freedom we have is the right to free speech.

...balanced equally by the responsibility to be courteous when exercising that right.

We forget that sometimes.

Frenchie
08-05-2007, 01:18 AM
I may not like what you say but I'll defend you're right to say it.

That's easy to say.

Memphis
08-05-2007, 03:43 PM
When subtitles are outlawed, only outlaws will have subtitles.

bob 125th nysvi
08-05-2007, 04:56 PM
That's easy to say.

I've never denied somebody the right to say something.

I've argued like the devil the were _______ (fill in the blank).

We do have recognized limitations (can't yell "fire" in crowded theater) but the limitations (for now) are pretty narrow.

KarinTimour
08-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Dear Bob:

You wrote:

"I've argued like the devil the were _______ (fill in the blank)."

I think there are a few words missing?

Karin Timour
Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
Come see me at September Storm -- I'll have the sock line with me.
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Rob Weaver
08-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Well, flip the arguement over: I rarely use titles for my messages at all. Just not clever enough. Have trouble titling sermons, too. Has there ever been a rant about those of us who just can't get it together enough to put a title on our thoughts? :D

flattop32355
08-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Have trouble titling sermons, too.

Just title it "A Message From God".

Your consultation fee is waived. This time.

NoahBriggs
08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I just post what I feel the need to say. I have no need for witty titles unless I feel witty.

I have enough self-discipline and maturity as a writer to delete what I have typed if it seems wrong, or rude, or possibly violates the forum's rules. If something of mine gets deleted by the mods, then that is their perogative. That holds everywhere, not here. People's blogs, Fora, websites, live debate discussions at the bar. This is their site/spot; ergo, their rules. Try to read them every now and then. Better yet, read them and try to abide by them instead of stacking leaky "I'm the exception" sandbags in front of you.

I feel I know enough about my constitutional freedoms not to prattle on about them as though everyone around me were morons.

Lastly, before I hit "Submit reply" I check for spelling, grammar, typos and homonymic errors (eg, "there, their, they're"). Grammatical errors I can understand. Spelling errors and typos, sure. We type faster than we think (in more ways than one). Misplaced apostrophes and homonymic errors grate on me worse than the fingernails on chalkboards. Are we that lazy we cannot even review our posts and e-mails for these simple things? You cannot have Microsoft spellcheck do your thinking for you. I think, therefore ignore my TV and Microsoft spellcheck.

Random thoughts too disorganized to be a rant from the Outsider.

flattop32355
08-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Noa,
Ewe hav hitt tha nale un tha hed? Wee ned two bee moor karfil abut howl wee poste ' az wale az wut wee poste. Too due uthurwize iz two shou urselfz two bee disraspecfil uf uthurz.
Wie shud allwaz uz tha spelchekar " an bee konstanlee awaar uf uzin hommmonimm...hummanim....hemonam....wurdz thut soun alick.
Eye alwaz tri too uz korekt gramnar whinn posten att thiz plase; soz everbodie kann sea thut eye reelie due mi reeserch inn tha hobbee Itz emportent two dissplaey wunz entelijin.....antillajen....inntellugense....howl smert wee ar sew wee kann bee tookin seareeuslee.

tompritchett
08-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Bernie, I see that you have been shiffing your nitrous oxide again. :)

Parault
08-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I think that Bernie is in that puff,puff,pass mode

flattop32355
08-06-2007, 10:17 PM
What happens around the campfire, stays around the campfire......

bob 125th nysvi
08-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Dear Bob:

You wrote:

"I've argued like the devil the were _______ (fill in the blank)."

I think there are a few words missing?

Karin Timour
Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
Come see me at September Storm -- I'll have the sock line with me.
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
Email: Ktimour@aol.com

'they' and then you fill in the blank.

Make sense now?

DaveGink
09-13-2007, 09:08 AM
as part of the post.

See what I mean?

// End of rant.

Agreed. It bugs me too.

And as can plainly be seen ... when quoting the post the title gets cut off. Thus leaving the first line a fragment that makes no sense.

Graves Mercantile
09-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Posting part of the message in the title is dumb and unneccessary. It actually adds a step to the process, you could just leave the title part out entirely. Why do people insist on writing something that only aggravates others.......oh wait.....this is an internet forum....forget I said anything.

bob 125th nysvi
09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Posting part of the message in the title is dumb and unneccessary. It actually adds a step to the process, you could just leave the title part out entirely. Why do people insist on writing something that only aggravates others.......oh wait.....this is an internet forum....forget I said anything.

would be why would everything require a title?

Do you 'announce' a title before you have a discussion with someone? Do you 'announce' a title everytime you make a statement during a discussion?

The question of titles v subtitles seems to boil down to do you as an individual consider posts on a forum board to be formal correspondence (ala a business memo) or a form of informal dialogue.

If you consider it a form of formal dialogue I'm afraid that you will soon find yourself in the minority, especially among the younger reeanctors just coming up. Look how young people use IM (instant messaging), they use it as a form of dialogue not formal correspondence no titles there just bang into the meesage (in a language we don't understand).

I suppose we should just remember that many of our grandparents (for you baby boomers) considered us 'inappopriate' because we didn't write letters, we called instead. We base these opinions on what we grew up with.

Heck anybody seen my typewriter?

flattop32355
09-14-2007, 11:47 AM
It gives the reader a synopsis of what the thread (or that part of the thread) is about, so they can decide whether they are interested enough to read the post(s).

In some cases, it is a courtesy to the readers. In others, instructive. It can indicate a shift from the previous specific topic to a branching off point.

In some cases, no title is needed. In others, it is helpful.

With civility supposedly at a premium on this forum, it is a simple way to display it, and requires little effort to do so, oftentimes simply keeping the heading already in effect.