PDA

View Full Version : It's July 30...

sbl
07-30-2007, 07:55 AM
...what did you think of the battle of the Crater scene in Cold Mountain?

vamick
07-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Hmmmm...well the "guard towers' stood out like a sore thumb...with all the photographic material on Petersburg..where did they get those?.entrenchments looked ok, uniforms..I'd give high marks for "Hollywood'.skinny Romainian solders?...looked ok from the sofa;) , certainly better than portly 'merikans, the explosion was good I thought especially how the shockwave roared down the trenchworks ( If you slow mo here, right past the scene where that fellar gets his clothes blown off, theres several men sitting hunched over in a row..that last one is smokin a Marlboro Id swear!:rolleyes: )...down in the mud and blood of that crater...a lotta good chaos there! wounded men getting stepped on ect..dont know about that 'Cherokee" flinging bayoneted muskets, but, probably good for the'viewing public'..that night attack on the stranded yanks complete with flares....D- F!...theres my "professional" opinion:cool:

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-30-2007, 09:16 AM

I didn't know that that was the Battle of the Crater. I thought it was pretty cool. By the way, I just noticed you're in Gloucester. That's a nice town, and the one beach is incredibly beautiful.

reb4lee
07-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I thought the batle play'd out well. It gave a scene or two with black soldier's in the crater. Like said before the uniform's were good. They were better then some of the film's I have seen.:D

Micah Trent
07-30-2007, 09:57 AM

To me, it was the best part in the entire movie. Done very well.

sbl
07-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Thank you. Gloucester is pretty good for beaches an such. We have Good Harbor, Long, and Wingarsheek beaches plus Front, Back , and Cape Hedge Beaches in Rockport.

Stage Fort Park's beach has a Civil War era fort over looking it.

I'm sure it was the Battle of the Crater in Cold Mountain as they showed the mine being blown up by PA troops and the attack by the white troops then the black troops caught up in the ...well....the Crater. Nice special effects but I don't think I'd jump arse first into the Crater like one of Jude Law's buddies did.

vamick
07-30-2007, 10:04 AM
It was all in all an entertaining movie for me..a 'chick flick' withother redeeming values..who was it that wanted a CW naval movie??...this one had one of the best navel scenes t'wards the end!!;) yeeesireee Ms. kidman's navel struck me into rapt attention...and it did seem from where I was sitting to be a period correct navel with her sowings having the right stitches purrrr eennnnch...course Im still studying that particular scene for authenticity;)

NoahBriggs
07-30-2007, 10:33 AM
The Crater explosion was good. The fighting in the Crater looked like a Civil War mosh pit. Reminded me more of the Spartans trying to shove the Persians out the gate at Thermopylae.

What was with the leather fedora worn by the "leader" of the Home Guard?

ThumbStall
07-30-2007, 10:36 AM

Pure nonsense.

- Thousands of USCTs were present at that battle but only one appears on screen.

- The crater was unrealistically too deep.

- Signal towers (guard towers?) on the front lines. Hello? Ever hear of sharpshooters?

- Muskets with bayonets fixed were used like spears at the battle according to some accounts, but this is grabbing at one bizarre fact and putting too much emphasis on it.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Completely Farb.... I give it a 2.

Jim Mayo
07-30-2007, 11:22 AM
It's been a while since I saw the movie but the worst thing that stuck out in my mind were all the Union troops laying down in formation waiting for the bomb to explode. It was also bright daylight. Very inaccurate.

As for throwing bayoneted muskets as spears, I see no reason this was farby. Many accounts of the Confederates who were at the top of the Crater mentioned this along with lighting the fuse on balls and rolling them down into the pit. With the large number of bayoneted muskets laying about it would have been easy to pick them up and throw them down on the Union invaders. It would have been much easier and safer than sticking one's body over the rim and shooting down.

Frenchie
07-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Bayoneted muskets were thrown over the earthworks at the Mule Shoe's Bloody Angle.

reb64
07-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I really only had issue with the towers and large artillery pieces. with those the south could have shelled the union rear, i mean support and staging areas. It would have been nice to have such pieces but I don't recall anything that big in the trenches except perhaps down at bermuda hundred overlooking the james.

Frenchie
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Just a thought, I don't know all that much about the Crater, but maybe the Rebs had the guns, but they had so little ammunition that they were saving it for an emergency, i.e., an actual frontal assault.

ILYankee5
07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
I thought the scenes were pretty well orchestrated, despite the few miscrepencies that have already been listed. (i.e., lookout towers, and the large scale artillery). My post however is to say that this scene was not the greatest part of the movie. NICOLE KIDMAN and her "scenes". That is all I have to say. :)

ILYankee5

Poor Private
07-31-2007, 02:52 PM
If you had read the book before hand like my son and I did, The movie would have been a joke.
Typical Hollywierd didn't hardly follow the book. there was some aspects yes, but for the most part Original title with all new script. "Escapism movie" is a good term for it. By the way in the book Enman carried the Lamat with him all the way thru it.

sbl
07-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Cris,

I liked the book. It kind of started big and ended small and intense. Of course it was the Odessey story with some variation from that story's ending.
I don't think "Hollywierd" is fair as the movie industry in this country makes money and actually EXPORTS product. Think how many life afirming, good over evil films do come out of Hollywood. You have to remember that "regular" Americans don't go into that kind of career and don't "party" the same and Hollywood is a Meritocracy.

"..Meritocracy is a system of government or other organization based on demonstrated ability (merit) and talent rather than by wealth (plutocracy), family connections (nepotism), class privilege, cronyism, popularity (as in democracy) or other historical determinants of social position and political power..."

sbl
07-31-2007, 03:39 PM
ILYankee5,

You didn't go just to see Renee Zellweger?

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/renee-zellweger/pictures/renee-zellweger-picture-1.jpg

reb64
07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Just a thought, I don't know all that much about the Crater, but maybe the Rebs had the guns, but they had so little ammunition that they were saving it for an emergency, i.e., an actual frontal assault.

Can you imagine the destructive power of assaulting a huge gun such as a rodman or columbiad? when younger I couldn't comprehend why the rebs under ealry coldn't just charge past those bigs guns around dc. I guess they had respect for the devastating power they held. Is there any accounts of charges against these monsters loaded for infantry in front?

tompritchett
07-31-2007, 08:27 PM
You didn't go just to see Renee Zellweger?

Seriously, Renee stole that movie just like Tommy Lee Jones did in Under Seige. I know that I recommended the movie to friends specifically because of her performance. She definitely deserved the Oscar she received for the movie.

ILYankee5
07-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Alright, Renee did probably the best acting in the movie (although several people that I went to see it with thought some of her lines were corney). But Nicole Kidman is Nicole Kidman. :) And I do agree, the book was a lot better. I saw the movie first and then actually read the book on this one.

ILYankee5

CapitolGuards
08-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I thought the book sucked so badly that I've never even considered watching the movie, no matter how badly Hollywood treated the story.

Tom